Backhoe Build A Backhoe For PT425... It Could Happen

/ Build A Backhoe For PT425... It Could Happen
I'm going fitting shopping at lunch today. I'll report what I find late this evening.

/ Build A Backhoe For PT425... It Could Happen #403  
MossRoad said:
I'm going fitting shopping at lunch today. I'll report what I find late this evening.

I have found that purchasing fittings or hoses at a local hydraulic shop is rather expensive. If you have the time to shop on the INTERNET, the cost for fittings are way less. Some times, I can get the local shop to match prices. I just bring in my INTERNET price sheet. Those screw on fittings for hoses, alloy you to make exact sizes. Good luck

J_J said:
I have found that purchasing fittings or hoses at a local hydraulic shop is rather expensive. If you have the time to shop on the INTERNET, the cost for fittings are way less. Some times, I can get the local shop to match prices. I just bring in my INTERNET price sheet. Those screw on fittings for hoses, alloy you to make exact sizes. Good luck

OUCH! You were correct! At a local shop I only priced two 8' hoses with quick connects for the supply and return, and two 2' hoses to connect the valves together and that was $217.00.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, I downloaded Bailey's PDF catalog and found things for a better price, and then went to Surplus Center and found even more acceptable prices. I was too busy last night to gather all of them up, but will hopfully get them ordered over the weekend.

/ Build A Backhoe For PT425... It Could Happen #405  
MossRoad said:
OUCH! You were correct! At a local shop I only priced two 8' hoses with quick connects for the supply and return, and two 2' hoses to connect the valves together and that was $217.00.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, I downloaded Bailey's PDF catalog and found things for a better price, and then went to Surplus Center and found even more acceptable prices. I was too busy last night to gather all of them up, but will hopfully get them ordered over the weekend.

I was looking at the NothernTools.com website, and they have good prices on fittings. They also have hoses already made up, you just install your own fittings. It's a good idea to get some of that hose wrap to protect your hoses, and it does makes for a neat layout. Those reusable fittings allow you to cut and screw on the fitting. They cost more, but it might be worth it. If you are up to the challenge, you can buy 50 ft bulk hose, select your fittings, measure as close as you can with a little slack. and you will come out ahead on the cost. Like you, a couple of years ago, I showed those guys at the hydraulic shop what I wanted, something like 2, 6 ft hose with fittings. They made them up in short order, but when I saw the cost, I like to have choked. I started to utter some choice words, but I just bit the bullet. Since then, I am careful about what I ask for. You do know that pressure washer hose is the same hose, If you get the 3000 psi type. It comes in blue by the way. Is that the color you will end up with?

/ Build A Backhoe For PT425... It Could Happen #406  
J_J said:
I was looking at the NothernTools.com website, and they have good prices on fittings. They also have hoses already made up, you just install your own fittings. It's a good idea to get some of that hose wrap to protect your hoses, and it does makes for a neat layout. Those reusable fittings allow you to cut and screw on the fitting. They cost more, but it might be worth it. If you are up to the challenge, you can buy 50 ft bulk hose, select your fittings, measure as close as you can with a little slack. and you will come out ahead on the cost.

J_J
Those reusable fittings, do you twist those on to the hose or something?

J_J said:
I was looking at the NothernTools.com website, and they have good prices on fittings. They also have hoses already made up, you just install your own fittings. It's a good idea to get some of that hose wrap to protect your hoses, and it does makes for a neat layout. Those reusable fittings allow you to cut and screw on the fitting. They cost more, but it might be worth it. If you are up to the challenge, you can buy 50 ft bulk hose, select your fittings, measure as close as you can with a little slack. and you will come out ahead on the cost. Like you, a couple of years ago, I showed those guys at the hydraulic shop what I wanted, something like 2, 6 ft hose with fittings. They made them up in short order, but when I saw the cost, I like to have choked. I started to utter some choice words, but I just bit the bullet. Since then, I am careful about what I ask for. You do know that pressure washer hose is the same hose, If you get the 3000 psi type. It comes in blue by the way. Is that the color you will end up with?

That's why I priced out the hoses, first. Yikes! Surplus Center has pre-made hoses, also, with 1/2" NPT thread on both ends. They have them in just about any length that I need in two wire hose. The prices seem very reasonable to me. I will need at least 28 90 degree fittings that go from the 3/4 -16 to to the 1/2 NPT. They have swivel fittings for $5.50 each. Plus a few other Tees and such and I'm looking at $175-$200 in fittings alone. I figured about $2000 for the complete project and I'm going to be at that or maybe $200 over, once it is all said and done. So I'm still happy. :) (if I keep saying that, I may actually believe it :eek: ).

:D

/ Build A Backhoe For PT425... It Could Happen #409  
Hi MossRoad,

For fittings, I found Discount Hydraulic Hose.com to be a little cheaper:
Discount Hydraulic Hose.com

For my last large project, Surplus Center was a better deal for some other things including pre-made hoses.

Ken

/ Build A Backhoe For PT425... It Could Happen #410  
cqaigy2 said:
J_J
Those reusable fittings, do you twist those on to the hose or something?

Yes, they twist on, and you have to match up the hose with the correct barrel, or outside fitting. . The barrel part is put on first, and I believe that it has a left hand thread. Once the hose bottoms out in the barrel, you then screw the fitting in the hose until there is a 1/16 gap between the barrel and the hex nut. It can be used many times, and it does hold pressure. The inside of the hose stays the same, but the outside diameter of the hose increase when you go up into two wire and three wire hose. The number of the wire sheaths dictate the pressure. They also get more stiff as the plies go up. The R1 hose is just marginal for 1/2 in hose.