Backhoe Build A Backhoe For PT425... It Could Happen

/ Build A Backhoe For PT425... It Could Happen
J_J said:
David, Check out this statement of the power beyond valve. This might change my thinking on some things. For instance, it seem like with a power beyond plug installed, the fluid flows through both valves until you activate upstream position . What happens when you are using the bucket, and you want to lift at the same time. Will the second function still work, or does it have to wait till the stick is back in neutral? According that statement the up stream valve has priority. What say you?

POWER BEYOND (HIGH PRESSURE CARRYOVER): A sleeve attachment which permits the oil flow from one valve (when in neutral) to be used by another valve downstream. Hence, a 3-spool valve could be connected to a 2-spool valve to create a 5-spool valve, The first valve takes priority and must have a separate outlet port to return oil from an activator back to the reservoir.
The way I understand it is as follows:

In my setup, I am using three 2-spool valves. The fluid enters the first valve through the inlet port and exits through the power beyond port. The outlet port is plugged. The fluid then enters the second valve inlet port and exits through the power beyond port. It's outlet port is also plugged. The fluid then enters the third valve inlet port and exits through either the outlet port or the power beyond port if I install it. I will probably not install it, as I will not have another valve downstream from that. I will plug that port.

With the power beyond ports installed as I have described above, the whole three joystick setup acts like one big 6 spool valve. Any of the spools should be able to operate simultaneously with the others.

I think that's correct, at least. :rolleyes: Maybe not! :eek: I'll find out when I set it all up, though... that's for sure!!! :D

If that is not how it works, I'll have to provide returns from each valve outlet port.

Well, I found a link to a good diagram at Prince.

http://www.princehyd.com/Portals/0/products/valves/RD5000InstS.pdf

It shows that, first, I will need to unplug the return port and add a return for all the valves. Not too bad. Just a couple more hoses and a couple tees.

Second, the first valve will take priority over the second and both of those over the third, etc...

So... I'll have to carfully plan which spools will be used the most simultaneously and put them on the same valve body. Then the second most used will go on the second valve and the outriggers will stay on the third.

Lastly, I'll have to plug the power beyond port on the third valve body.

Does that sound correct? :)

/ Build A Backhoe For PT425... It Could Happen #433  
MossRoad said:
Well, I found a link to a good diagram at Prince.

http://www.princehyd.com/Portals/0/products/valves/RD5000InstS.pdf

It shows that, first, I will need to unplug the return port and add a return for all the valves. Not too bad. Just a couple more hoses and a couple tees.

Second, the first valve will take priority over the second and both of those over the third, etc...

So... I'll have to car fully plan which spools will be used the most simultaneously and put them on the same valve body. Then the second most used will go on the second valve and the outriggers will stay on the third.

Lastly, I'll have to plug the power beyond port on the third valve body.

Does that sound correct? :)

Since this is my first attempt at hooking up joystick valves, this will be part of my learning curve. I had thought that you could operate two valves at the same time. I have seen backhoes work, and they can curl and swing at the same time. Perhaps they are using different valves. I will try and work around this by using the Aux circuit for one valve, and the PTO for the main valve plus two electric valves for the stabilizer legs. Those are the least used valves.

/ Build A Backhoe For PT425... It Could Happen #434  
David, I did find out some more data on those joystick valves. You can operate two functions at the same time on the first valve. Other wise , you can lift the boom, and dump at the same time, at 1/2 the speed, since you are splitting the flow, and that is assuming that the boom and curl are on the same valve . The second valve will be be in a static mode until you are back to neutral on the first valve. Knowledge is a powerful thing, if I could only remember everything I have read or heard.

J_J said:
David, I did find out some more data on those joystick valves. You can operate two functions at the same time on the first valve. Other wise , you can lift the boom, and dump at the same time, at 1/2 the speed, since you are splitting the flow, and that is assuming that the boom and curl are on the same valve . The second valve will be be in a static mode until you are back to neutral on the first valve. Knowledge is a powerful thing, if I could only remember everything I have read or heard.

I knew about the two spools on one assembly being able to operate at the same time.

I also think that if you are not using all of the flow in the first assembly, any left over flow will be going out the power beyond port to any downstream valve assemblies. They should be able to operate, but at reduced speed for the reasons you mention.

I also read at the Brand website installation guides that any use of teflon tape voids the warranty. Here's what is says...

"Pipe thread sealant – Warranty is void when Teflon tape is
used to seal pipe threads. This is because Teflon tape is a
friction reducing agent which allows customers to overtorque
fittings. We recommend using a sealant that does not
include friction reducing agents i.e. Lead Plate."

As for which functions to put on which joystick, it may take some experimenting to decide which functions I want to operate together and which ones I need seperate.

For a flat bottom trench, I think I would want to set the angle of the bucket with my left hand, then with the right hand be able to control pulling it back towards me while controlling the depth. At the end of the pull stroke, I could curl the bucket with my left hand while lifting with my right, then lift the bucket out of the hole and swing and dump with my left hand.

Anyhow, I could see where some functions would be better on the same joystick sometimes and on different joysticks other times. That's why I'm hoping for some useage of both joysticks simultaneously. If not, I'll just have to figure out by usage which functions should be paired together and prioritized. At least they will be easy to change just by moving the hose connections from one joystick to the other. :)

/ Build A Backhoe For PT425... It Could Happen #437  
The fluid enters the first valve through the inlet port and exits through the power beyond port. The outlet port is plugged.

Moss, I think you need to have line from the valve to the tank in addition to the power beyond port.
The fliud that comes out of the rams when you actuate them needs to go to the tank.

Mith said:
Moss, I think you need to have line from the valve to the tank in addition to the power beyond port.
The fliud that comes out of the rams when you actuate them needs to go to the tank.

Yeah, I'm getting that impression, too. :) The Power Beyond port is high pressure to the next valve bank. The fluid coming out of the rams is low pressure and needs to take a different route back to the tank. That route is the return port on the valve body. I'm going to understand this stuff sooner or later. :D

/ Build A Backhoe For PT425... It Could Happen #439  
MossRoad said:
Yeah, I'm getting that impression, too. :) The Power Beyond port is high pressure to the next valve bank. The fluid coming out of the rams is low pressure and needs to take a different route back to the tank. That route is the return port on the valve body. I'm going to understand this stuff sooner or later. :D

The return port is also where the fluid goes when you trip the safety on that valve. PB to next valve, return or outlet port to resovoir. This path needs to be low restriction as many valves can't handle much pressure on the return port(Prince specs no more than 500 PSI on this port).

/ Build A Backhoe For PT425... It Could Happen #440  
David, Did you notice that Baileys is carrying that Brand joystick valve now at $185.00 . Could have saved a few bucks anyway.

It can also handle 21 gpm.