Question re: Steering Cylinder Seals

/ Question re: Steering Cylinder Seals #1  

marrt

Platinum Member
Tractor
Power Trac 1845 and 425
When I bought my first PT, I got about 150 hours on the steering cylinder seals before I had to rebuild both cylinders. The steering got progressively worse until I had to move the steering wheel quickly, or run the engine at full RPM, to steer. I have an 1845 now and with just over 150 hours on the steering cylinders, they are starting to get sluggish. I pull an Acrease wing mower and this puts extra work on the steering cylinders I believe. I was thinking about taking the front bolt lose and spinning the cylinder arm 180 degrees to see if that would get me a few more hours. Charlie, if you’re reading this, I remember you have an Acrease…have you changed the steering cylinder seals yet? I think I remember Sedgewood saying he changed one on his 1845 at relatively low hours. I’m curious to know if 150 hours is “normal” as that’s my experience with two difference machines now.

/ Question re: Steering Cylinder Seals #2  
I would think there couldn't be too many tasks that were harder on the steering than what I do, which is make a lots and lots of 180 degree turns mowing tree plantations. Most of the turns are full lock, too. So far, I haven't detected any difference in the steering of our PT-425 after nearly 250 hours.

/ Question re: Steering Cylinder Seals #3  
I am at 500 hours on my 422 and have not seen any problems.

Bob Rip

/ Question re: Steering Cylinder Seals #4  
200 hours on the 425 and no problems. I almost always run at full throttle.

/ Question re: Steering Cylinder Seals #5  
312 hours and counting on PT-425 and no problem with the seals... have replaced one steering hose due to abrasion.

/ Question re: Steering Cylinder Seals #6  
I'm coming up on 400 hours with no steering cylinder problem on my 1845. I did lose one hose.

/ Question re: Steering Cylinder Seals #7  
marrt,

My PT-422 has 480 hours with no external oil leakage on the steering cylinders. However, I feel my steering is slowly becoming more sluggish or I am becoming progressively weaker at faster than anticipated rate.

Am I correct to assume you had no external oil leaks on your steering cylinders just slower reaction? Internal cylinder leakage makes the cylinders sluggish? My lift cylinders are not sluggish so I have been wondering about the cause of the steering cylinders. Were the seals hard to replace?

Thanks for sharing you problem. It got me thinking about mine.

Dale

/ Question re: Steering Cylinder Seals #8  
I've got a PT 1430 with 238 hours and the steering seems fine. I did have to replace the steering valve at 190 hours and I replaced two worn steering hoses.

/ Question re: Steering Cylinder Seals
All, tx for the responses. DHS, yes, I was talking about internal leakage. This is usually discovered by sluggish steering response. If you have a spinner knob on your steering wheel, you can also see the problem. For example, if the spinner knob is normally at 3 o’clock and you find that it progressively moves around the dial as you mow, this could indicate some “blow by” in the steer circuit. On my 425, it got so bad that I could slowly rotate the steering wheel around the dial while the engine was idling without the cylinders moving. That’s actually the best way to test it. Make sure the hydraulic fluid is hot. Leave the machine on idle, and very slowly rotate the steering wheel while you are stopped with the tires on pavement and the emergency brake on. Increasing the engine speed or the speed which you rotate the steering wheel will reduce the effectiveness of the test. I suspect a lot of folks here with high hours would find some slippage with this test. Would be interesting to know. I think the seal kits are about $12 each. They aren’t too hard to replace. Especially if you don’t mind using a pipe wrench on the aluminum cylinder cap. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Question re: Steering Cylinder Seals #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( That’s actually the best way to test it. Make sure the hydraulic fluid is hot. Leave the machine on idle, and very slowly rotate the steering wheel while you are stopped with the tires on pavement and the emergency brake on. )</font>

Doesn't the emergency brake "force" the steering cylinders to bypass, at least somewhat, since it prevents the front of the tractor from moving...