Loosing power going uphill

/ Loosing power going uphill #1  

pequeajim

Platinum Member
Tractor
Power Trac 425
I find that I don’t seem to have the same power running up the hill that I have had in the past. I suspect that my hydraulic filter might be boogered up a bit. I changed mine out at 50 hours and am at 90 right now. I am going to change it out and perhaps change the fuel filter just for kicks. I have two questions for you guys:

1. Is there a standard fuel filter that I can get from a parts shop for my 425/Robin?
2. Is there something else that I should inspect that might be causing the loss of power when going up hill?

Thanks for the help
Jim!

/ Loosing power going uphill #2  
A metal fuel filter is available at most any parts store.

/ Loosing power going uphill #3  
Check and clean the air filter. Also clean or blow out around the carburetor

/ Loosing power going uphill #4  
Jim, are you experiencing a loss of engine power (and therefore a loss of hydraulic power) or just a loss of hydraulic power without any accompanying engine bogging? It is kind of hard to tell from your post.

We have a noticed a number of gas stations in our area are now serving a 10% ethanol blend, along with their improved but higher priced coffee. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Gas with that much ethanol would not have as much power as gas with 5% or less, if I understand correctly. I don't know if small engines are sensitive to the ethanol content, and I'm not sure that small amount would be detectable by a seat of the pants power measurement anyway, but I thought I would mention it as a possibility, however remote.

/ Loosing power going uphill
THanks guys, I will check each suggestion.

/ Loosing power going uphill #6  
The higher ethanol content that has been sneaking into gasoline also will cause vapor lock and fuel boiling problems much more so than with non-ethanol-blend fuels especially at altitude and in carburated engines versus fuel injection.

The industry has been getting away from MTBE for various reasons and using more ethanol instead with the above listed side effects. Do not have a good solution other than try to find a brand in your area that has the least ethanol (this may change seasonally also).

Do you guys run regular or mid-grade in your Robin engines?

/ Loosing power going uphill #8  
Jim, per suggestion of Jack Robin in an older thread, I have been using premium (aka hi test) fuel plus a dose of lead substitute in my Robin engine. That cocktail was recommended to reduce the shutdown detonation. Didn't seem to do squat for that, but the engine has always run very well with that regimen. During the hot summer months, I also add a dose of good ol' Marvel Mystery Oil to the fuel (there...I've admitted it!) per instructions on the can. I have always had to clean my air filter after every mowing. The dust and chaff seem to really accumulate.

/ Loosing power going uphill #9  
I ussually consider ethanol a good thing [it does have slightly fewer BTU's per gallon than gasoline, but that wouldn't be the issue here], but I do avoid it on small engines.

It seems they run hotter on it, and it tends to gum up occasional use engines faster than straight gas. The latter seems counter intuitive, since alcohol is a solvent, but I can't argue the results I've had trying to start things in the spring. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I ran mid-grade in the PT last night and tonight and noticed much better power. Maybe it was a bad batch of gas? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif