Houston, We Have a Leak

/ Houston, We Have a Leak #1  

Highridge

Gold Member
Tractor
Power-Trac 1430 and Craftsman DGT6000
Hello,
Last weekend the PT developed a small leak(O.K. not that small) while doing some digging at a friend's house. We thought we found the fitting that was leakng and tightened it. Today, While doing more work at his house, it began leaking again, aparently not from the same fitting, but it got even worse. So when got it home, I took it apart to see what I could find. I think it is one of the case drain fittings on one of the wheel motors or one of these 3 hoses that intersect right under the pump, where i can't tighten it. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I've also began wondering if a wheel motor can leak? Maybe that's where the oil is coming from. It was so bad to day that a puddle would form if I stayed in one palce for more than 30 seconds. I figure I lost about 3 quarts, more or less. Anyone's ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 856535-DSC00850 (Small).JPG
    856535-DSC00850 (Small).JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 245
   / Houston, We Have a Leak
A pic of the inside

Attachments

• 856537-DSC00852 (Small).JPG
    856537-DSC00852 (Small).JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 235
   / Houston, We Have a Leak #3  
Yes, wheel motors seals can leak. the fittings can leak, and the case return can leak. When tracking down a leak, I use an air hose unit that sucks up detergent from a bucket. I then hose every thing down with detergent, let it sit a while, then use fresh water to rinse, and let dry. I then take paper towels, and feel around each fitting in the suspected area. It usually works for me. They also make a leak detector that you put in oil, then when any thing leaks, it will show up with an ultraviolet light, I have seen it work.

Thanks JJ
Where could I find some of that leak detector? A NAPA store or the like?

/ Houston, We Have a Leak #5  
Yea. NAPA has it.

Found the leak. And wouldn't you know it, it wasnt oil at all, it was diesel. Of course, after I bought the dye and put it in the oil tank, I find it. So I replaced the two fuel lines and everything seems shipshape now, except I blew a quick attach hose today /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif so I could only use the bucket.

/ Houston, We Have a Leak #7  
/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Think I found mine too, it was a loose oil fitting not diesel here. It needs a

Too bad about your QA hose. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif