Hydraulic Oil

/ Hydraulic Oil #11  
Duane,

I add Shell Rotella T 5w-40 after hydraulic oil filter changes and to make up lost oil. I drained the tank once to replace the PTO solenoid and added a couple gallons of Shell Rotella T 5w-40. The hydraulics work fine and it seems to start easier in the winter with the Shell Rotella T 5w-40. When I change my hydraulic oil I plan to use half Shell Rotella T 5w-40 and half regular 10w-40. I have 450 hours now and plan to change oil at about 500 hours.

Dale

/ Hydraulic Oil
5W40 synthetic or 15W40 dino?

Duane, I noticed the additive too when I was looking at HyTran; sounds like a great plan to me if you're using regular engine oil. Not sure if it'd help, hurt, or do nothing for synthetic.

Dale, is there an advantage of mixing instead of going all 5W40? I'm thinking that would help combat these winter temps; and it should perform the same at operating temp as the blend (40 weight on both), but I might be missing something too.

FWIW, the data I stumbled across last night while searching for non-detergents told me two things: 1. Amsoil is the most highly advertised, published, and generally discussed oil product on the web. 2. The viscosity and shear data sure do look tempting for the temps in a PT's hydraulics (with Mobile 1 being right in there too). However, partially to spite fact number 1, and in keeping with my earlier thoughts, it's status quo for now. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Hydraulic Oil #13  
Chad,

I don't have a technical reason for mixing the two oils. The original oil in my PT seems a bit thick for easy winter starting. So, I started adding synthetic make up oil and observed easier winter starting. Watching the posts got me thinking the 5w-40 shell might be a little light for my aging pumps and motors. But, I don't know. Maybe I will try 100% 5w-40 synthetic shell replacement and see how well it works. I have several months to think about non-technical reasons to do either.

Dale

/ Hydraulic Oil #14  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">(

FWIW, the data I stumbled across last night while searching for non-detergents told me two things: 1. Amsoil is the most highly advertised, published, and generally discussed oil product on the web. 2. The viscosity and shear data sure do look tempting for the temps in a PT's hydraulics (with Mobile 1 being right in there too). However, partially to spite fact number 1, and in keeping with my earlier thoughts, it's status quo for now. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif )</font>

It was the viscositiy & shear index that swayed me to go with Amsoil 20W50 instead of Mobil 1 15W50. Plus, the Amsoil was slightly less expensive, delivered to my door than was the Mobil 1 from Walmart. Note that 15W50 Mobil 1 is about $5 a gallon more expensive than the other Mobil 1 blends -- at least last summer when I was looking -- about $25 a gallon. I think I paid a little around $22 a gallon for the Amsoil.

/ Hydraulic Oil
Since the PT operating hydraulic operating temp is [I think; 160 vs 212?) lower than the "at temp" rating on a multi-viscosity, you might bit just a bit thicker mixing in some 10W40. The shear ratings on 10W40 may negate it though; these guys already using synthetic would know much better than I! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Hydraulic Oil
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( It was the viscositiy & shear index that swayed me to go with Amsoil 20W50 instead of Mobil 1 15W50. Plus, the Amsoil was slightly less expensive, delivered to my door than was the Mobil 1 from Walmart. Note that 15W50 Mobil 1 is about $5 a gallon more expensive than the other Mobil 1 blends -- at least last summer when I was looking -- about $25 a gallon. I think I paid a little around $22 a gallon for the Amsoil.)</font>

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Maybe I can read oil charts right! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif At $22/gallon though, I better stop whining about the $6.50/gallon if I stick with 15W-40.

/ Hydraulic Oil #17  
Yes I use my pt aalot but it beats paying laborers. My oil did return to normal after I ran it for 10 minutes it looked like oil again. And my hydraulic tank does not leak with dirt collecting around it any more. Also my tank hold 15 gallons and i found a machine shop that use the old oil to run their furnace. The recyle truck only picks up 6 qt a week

/ Hydraulic Oil #18  
Thanks everyone for all the resource material. This will keep me undecided until the last possible moment. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

FWIW, I'll toss another couple of candidates into the ring.One is Kubota Super UDT, which runs around $76 for a 5 gal pail {HERE}. I have had difficulty finding the specs for it, but there was a dicussion thread on it in the BOBISTHEOILGUY forum {HERE}, which noted a viscosity index of 140.

Another consideration would be one of the Schaeffer Oil Co. synthetic hydraulic blends, such as their #254 {HERE} which comes in several ISO grades of 32 to 220. Another product is their #315 Simplex Supreme transmission/hydraulic fluid {HERE} and{HERE}, with a VI of 150. Schaeffer is one of the oldest oil companies around. Their retail sales are limited, but you can readily purchase direct or in smaller quantities from one of their dealers who maintain a presence on the BOBISTHEOILGUY forum. I like the specs on #315, especially its high VI, meaning less viscosity change with temp change.

/ Hydraulic Oil
<font color="blue"> This will keep me undecided until the last possible moment. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif [c </font>
/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm guessing that for my running temps (dead between the usual 40C & 100C specs), the HyTran, Deere, UDT, etc will be a bit thin. My take is that the right combination will be maybe around 80csp @ 40C and 15csp at 100C. But I'd love to see a bunch of options overlayed temp/viscosity and see just what we are looking at around 70C. Also, the shear would need to be part of the equation, but I sure don't know how they'd weight.

If I were in a warmer climate; I'd almost bet that any of the UDT, Hytran, Deere, other cross-refs, in an iso100 would come out very nice; but again I'm just pulling numbers from the mental interpolations of vague memories of various characteristics discussed in this thread over the last week. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thinking there might be a little merit to the Hytran motor oil additive, but maybe it's a gimmick.

/ Hydraulic Oil
Check out the specs on the AWK; if I'm reading it right it has higher high temp viscosity, and lower cold temp viscosity than regular motor oil (maybe some of the sythethetic formulas too), and is high shear resistant and antifoaming as well!

AW Series

That said, I don't think they sell AWK anymore (I cant find it anyway) I'd love the AWJ for winter use, but would like just a bit higher high temp viscosity for summer, though if the shear specs are good enough maybe not an issue.

Either way, I'm status quo for a while, but thought I'd let you guys bat it around. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif