PT 422 usage questions

/ PT 422 usage questions #1  

TimOb

Bronze Member
Tractor
Power Trac PT425
Hi All,
Sure glad I found you and I have a few more questions regarding the usage of this tractor.

Without being able to put some ballast in the rear of the unit, will I be able to take a full load in the 4 in 1 bucket down a 25% grade? I need to eventually bring over 100 yds of material down.

I have another similar slope that I need to carve steps into. Would it be possible do this working from the top and bottom of the slope with the mini-hoe (the slope is narrow)?

thanks, G

/ PT 422 usage questions #2  
The PTs don't require ballast as much as typical tractor, because they're rear-engined and most of the weight is in the rear of the tractor to begin with... Though the factory doesn't recommend it, some of us have filled the rear tires and/or added removable ballast to the rear of the machine.

You could likely go down the slope with a full 4-in-1 bucket if you're hauling dirt or fill. I wouldn't recommend it with stone or gravel -- they're too heavy. You'd want to keep your bucket just above the surface just in case it tried to tip forward. However, it would be MUCH safer to back down the hill with the load in the bucket -- which is what is recommended -- rather than go forward. You could do that quite safely... Note that this recommendation isn't unique to PTs -- it applies to all tractors -- on slopes you always want to keep the weight uphill above you, and as close to the ground as possible.

Carving steps shouldn't pose a problem. I'd recommend that you work from the top of the hill, facing uphill, to carve your steps as you back down the slope. The minhoe works better for me when I'm digging above the tractor instead of below it. Do you have a way to exit the area, once the steps are dug?

/ PT 422 usage questions #3  
<font color="blue"> Do you have a way to exit the area, once the steps are dug? </font>

That is a very good point. Don't want to paint yourself into a corner, so to speak. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ PT 422 usage questions
Thanks. Yes, I agree probably have to back down the slope. Getting out of the area after the steps are carved won't be a problem. On the same slope, I'll also be doing a shallow trench for some drains.

/ PT 422 usage questions #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Thanks. Yes, I agree probably have to back down the slope. Getting out of the area after the steps are carved won't be a problem. On the same slope, I'll also be doing a shallow trench for some drains. )</font>

Whats neat about the PT is that you can go in reverse almost as easy as forward. I have transported big loads of brush with the grapple, driving in reverse for 1/4 mi.. It's easier to go backwards so your not driving over the longer stuff hanging off the bucket.

/ PT 422 usage questions #6  
That is one of the good things about the arm rests(expensive option)... they really help when backing up... something to lean on. Also, they help to keep you in the seat on steep side slopes.