Broken Lift Arm - Fix or Replace?

/ Broken Lift Arm - Fix or Replace? #1  

tlb

Bronze Member
Tractor
PT 425
I noticed today while greasing the lift arm of my 425 that grease was coming out from a new place. Close inspection (translation: oh, that don't look good) showed a crack all the way around on the center piece. My question is whether this can be fixed or do I have to replace the entire lift arm? I do not have a welder. Also, this lift arm assembly has been repaired (welded) twice on one side and once on the other over the past 2 years. Another crack has started to appear on the side that was welded once before.
-Tim

Attachments

• 867098-P1010156_b.jpg
    867098-P1010156_b.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 350
   / Broken Lift Arm - Fix or Replace?
Pic of the side that has been welded once before.

Attachments

• 867101-P1010157_b.jpg
    867101-P1010157_b.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 292
   / Broken Lift Arm - Fix or Replace? #3  
Check with PT on a price, or see if they will replace it free. This could be pretty expensive. That might determine your next step.

Bob Rip

BobRip,
Do you think they would replace it on a 2002 year machine with over 600hrs? If so, I will definately call!
Thanks,
-Tim

/ Broken Lift Arm - Fix or Replace? #5  
I'd certainly get the quote, but bet that a local welding shop will be able to fix it much cheaper.

/ Broken Lift Arm - Fix or Replace? #6  
I am a little confused here. Is this a picture of the tilt arm that rotates around the 2 in pin? Is it also the left tilt arm?

JJ,
Here is a better pic of the broken piece. In addition, the 2 ends of this same piece have broken once on one end and twice on the other. The end that had broken once, is again starting to crack.
-Tim

Attachments

• 867154-P1010159_a.jpg
    867154-P1010159_a.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 291
pic of end that had previous repair and now has a "new" crack starting to appear.
-Tim

Attachments

• 867155-P1010157_b.jpg
    867155-P1010157_b.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 233
   / Broken Lift Arm - Fix or Replace? #9  
I doubt it, but there is little cost to ask. It seems to me that this part should not fail. You have to call anyway to get a price.
A better approach might be to have them rebuild it. They might do this for less.
Another option is to send you some of the parts and have it rewelded locally with the new parts.

Just some thoughts.

Bob Rip

/ Broken Lift Arm - Fix or Replace? #10  
My pt 425 had the same problem when it was new[I think less than 50 hours] fortunatly I don't live but about two and a half or less hours from Tazwell so I took the machine back to them and they fixed it under warranty. I asked them how much the repair would have cost if it hadn't been under warranty and for the life of me I can't remember what they said but if I remember right there was someone else that had the same trouble maybe pabjoube and he took his loader arms off and sent that part back to them to get the repair done. I beleive that there is others that have had the same problem maybe you could do a search on the forum and get more information. The warranty is for one year on the machine and I think two years on the engine. I have heard others say that pt was reasonable on their repairs, but considering the cost of shipping it might be cheaper to get it repaired locally. I also remember someone else talking about reinforcing their rollover pin. The problem with mine was that it needed three weld passes and they only run one pass around it. I hope you get it fixed without too much trouble and expense. After you get this fixed a new toy should be on your list ,[a welder] and the toy list grows again.