Post hole digger vs. mini hoe

/ Post hole digger vs. mini hoe #1  

TimOb

Bronze Member
Tractor
Power Trac PT425
Ok,
I'm down to the nitty gritty and am about to place my order. Like most of you, I want to get as many implements as I can up front.

I have a few dozen - maybe 50 post holes I have to dig. I'm getting the mini hoe that'll do the job, altho the bigger hole that it cuts will be an issue.

For the posts that will be anchored in concrete, I might need 2 bags instead of 1. For the other posts, I'll have to do additional compacting to get a firm hold.

Ok, what do all you folks think. Is it worth springing for the PT post digger, should I rent one, or should I use the mini hoe.

Thx,
Tim

P.S. My old manual post hole digger will officially be retired, so no, that is not an option.

/ Post hole digger vs. mini hoe #2  
If that's is all you have to dig, I would say no, unless you just want to have it just in case. You could rent a gas post hole digger, or buy one of those Earthquake gas post hole diggers at Home Depot.for $299.00, and a 12 in auger for about $99.00

/ Post hole digger vs. mini hoe #3  
I'll second J.J. on that.

I have the PT mini-hoe, and have built my own PHD, combining features of both of PT's models.

The PHD is great when you need a fairly deep, fairly round hole. I've used mine to set a few posts and make holes for a few dozen plants. The plant holes could have been dug with the mini-hoe, although less neatly. It's probably been worth the cost of the components to build it (well below the cost of the PT setup). If somebody stole it, I'd miss it every now and then.

If somebody stole my mini-hoe, I'd have to replace it PDQ. I use the 4-in-1 more year-round, and the mower gets a workout during the warm season, but the mini-hoe is my next most used implement. I recently added a simple folding thumb, and am constantly amazed at what it will grab and carry.

To put it another way, the mini-hoe makes a fair substitute for the PHD, but the PHD won't come close to doing the same for the mini-hoe.

Unless you're planning on drilling an awful lot of postholes, go for the mini-hoe.

Gravy

/ Post hole digger vs. mini hoe #4  
I have both the post hole digger 6" and 12" augers, as well as the mini hoe.
I have used the post hole digger a few times 7 or 8 maybe 10 to plant shrubbs and to dig about 30 post holes.
I have used the mini hoe probably 150 times to dig something up or to make a hole for other plantings.
The mini hoe is the much more versatile than the post hole digger.
I am glad I got both. but if push had come to shove I would probably just gotten the mini hoe... and could have done all my digging with it. Just a little messier as noted above.