Thumbing It

/ Thumbing It #1  

KentT

Elite Member
Tractor
1993 Power Trac 1430 w/Kubota diesel engine
I thought I'd followup with my feedback on adding a thumb to my PT-425's minihoe... I'm VERY pleased with it, even though the thumb is currently too long (16") and needs shortened. We decided to try it before deciding how much to cut off, and it works quite well even with the long thumb -- it just gets in the way a bit. We've now marked where we want it cut, and my friend will detach the thumb and have it cut down to size...

I also decided not to reinforce the dipper stick at this point, but to watch it closely for signs of flexing. I really think PT pucker will kick in before it stresses it too much, but time will tell...

Photo album ot my friend trying it out...

A couple of shots singled out, to point out what it can do:

Pulling a 2" wild hedge bush out of the ground, roots and all

Reaching in and picking a small tree trunk up out of the undergrowth

Tramming the tree to the brush pile

This is just one more example of what the versatility and mobility of a PT will do. While a CUT/SCUT with a backhoe and thumb could grab the material, it can't carry them to the brush pile. You'd have to lift the stabilizers, "park" the bucket, move to the front seat and use the FEL...

We'd just pull them out until they began to get in the way, then grab several at a time, haul them and pile them, then pull more... without ever stopping, leaving the seat, etc. Before, we'd have to switch to the grapple bucket to pile the brush. Also the minihoe with thumb will put the brush up on top of the pile, which you can't do with the grapple bucket...

If you're going to be clearing undergrowth -- IMO, don't hesitate to put a thumb on your mini-hoe! You'll be glad you did. Soils, soil condition (moisture, etc.) and the type of brush will determine what it'll just pull out by the roots, but we could pull out wild hedge up to about 3" in diameter in this moist soil. With larger ones, we just used the bucket to dig it out out with its curl, or dug as needed in front and back...

/ Thumbing It #2  
Pretty cool,

you also helped me decide 4-n-1 vs grapple bucket. I'll go with the 4-n-1 if I can add a thumb to the mini-hoe and use it as a mini-grapple.

neat looking design too

/ Thumbing It
My friend had about 3.5" cut off the thumb yesterday. He reports that it works even better now, since it will now readily let the teeth of the bucket grab the sapling's trunk at ground level, pinching it against the thumb. Before, the long thumb would hold the bucket off the ground a couple of inches, unless you had the angle exactly right...

Overall, this is MUCH quicker grubbing brush now than without the thumb...

/ Thumbing It #4  
What was the final cost for the thumb with the welding and cutting off the ends? If you don't mind telling.

/ Thumbing It
$220 for the thumb. $40 for welding and cutting it to length $260 total.

/ Thumbing It #6  
That thumb looks will made. Could you show us some pictures of the cut off thumb, and the thumb in the folded position.

/ Thumbing It
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( That thumb looks will made. Could you show us some pictures of the cut off thumb, and the thumb in the folded position. )</font>

JJ, it'll be a while before I can get more pictures -- it's 900 miles away. Here's some more info on it from the eBay listings:

a4_1_b.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/THUMB-SKID-STEER-EXCAVATOR-BOBCAT-16-05_W0QQitemZ7617168848QQcategoryZ26199QQcmdZViewItem

It's pretty heavy-duty, since it's made for a skidsteer. We basically cut the bottom two teeth off, which cut it back to the point of having a solid center bar...

3f_1_b.JPG

/ Thumbing It #8  
anybody else interested in buying one? I bet we could get them to manufacture a 12.5" x 5" version (which sounds like the right size) if enough people were interested. I asked the Skid Steer Supply company, and they sounded interested.

/ Thumbing It #10  
I too would be interested if the thumb is the same for a 1430 application. I believe the minihoe is the same for both the 425 and 1430.