1430 capabilities???

/ 1430 capabilities??? #11  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The 1445 is a lot more machine than the 1430. (I have the 1845, which is same engine as 1445, but hydraulics, etc.are lighter, as they are on 1430, and frame is smaller than 1445)
You'll want to talk to PT about the mini-hoe for 1445. I assume it is beefier than the early ones for the slope mowers. If so, I'd bet it would do your 100 yard ditch. As a mower, the 1445 is pretty massive, but should work fine unless your slopes are steep. I use a 72" 3 spindle rough-cut on the 1845, but bought a walk behind for my lawn. The 72" was just a bit too wide, and the 1845 a bit too long for the tight areas among the bushes, etc. )</font>

Charlie, Do you think the 30hp would run that 72" rough cut. I do quite a bit of field mowing with my 1430 and 60" brush hog. I tried reversing my wheels because of some steep hills but the 60" won't cover the wheel tracks. I love my 1430 but I would love it more if it had 45hp.

/ 1430 capabilities??? #12  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The 1445 is a lot more machine than the 1430. (I have the 1845, which is same engine as 1445, but hydraulics, etc.are lighter, as they are on 1430, and frame is smaller than 1445)
You'll want to talk to PT about the mini-hoe for 1445. I assume it is beefier than the early ones for the slope mowers. If so, I'd bet it would do your 100 yard ditch. As a mower, the 1445 is pretty massive, but should work fine unless your slopes are steep. I use a 72" 3 spindle rough-cut on the 1845, but bought a walk behind for my lawn. The 72" was just a bit too wide, and the 1845 a bit too long for the tight areas among the bushes, etc. )</font>

Charlie, Do you think the 30hp would run that 72" rough cut. I do quite a bit of field mowing with my 1430 and 60" brush hog. I tried reversing my wheels because of some steep hills but the 60" won't cover the wheel tracks. I love my 1430 but I would love it more if it had 45hp.

/ 1430 capabilities??? #13  
<font color="red"> Do you think the 30hp would run that 72" rough cut? </font>
My guess is the 1430 would have some trouble running the 72" mower. On the 1845, I adjust my treadle according to the sound of the mower. In spring grass going uphill, I have to slow substantially, or the mower bogs. When it's dry and thin, of course, I can go as fast as I want. Mowers soak up a lot of power. In the Spring, I always wish I'd bought an 1850. Most other times of the year, the 1845 would probably handle an even bigger mower.

/ 1430 capabilities??? #14  
<font color="red"> Do you think the 30hp would run that 72" rough cut? </font>
My guess is the 1430 would have some trouble running the 72" mower. On the 1845, I adjust my treadle according to the sound of the mower. In spring grass going uphill, I have to slow substantially, or the mower bogs. When it's dry and thin, of course, I can go as fast as I want. Mowers soak up a lot of power. In the Spring, I always wish I'd bought an 1850. Most other times of the year, the 1845 would probably handle an even bigger mower.

/ 1430 capabilities??? #15  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( If I try to use the 4-n-1 box blade for my rough driveway, will I destroy the machine after a few times, or can the 1430 handle it?
)</font>

I think you'd destroy the 4-n-1 bucket before you destroy the tractor. I have a 4n1 for my 425 and to be honest, I don't think it makes a very good box blade. Nor does it make a very good grapple. Nor does it make a very good bucket (it's kinda small). But aside from those points it sure is neat! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ 1430 capabilities??? #16  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( If I try to use the 4-n-1 box blade for my rough driveway, will I destroy the machine after a few times, or can the 1430 handle it?
)</font>

I think you'd destroy the 4-n-1 bucket before you destroy the tractor. I have a 4n1 for my 425 and to be honest, I don't think it makes a very good box blade. Nor does it make a very good grapple. Nor does it make a very good bucket (it's kinda small). But aside from those points it sure is neat! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ 1430 capabilities???
Sounds like a "none-in-one"

I had hoped that the 4-n-1 would be a little like the PT itself, Great at nothing, but good at lots

/ 1430 capabilities???
Sounds like a "none-in-one"

I had hoped that the 4-n-1 would be a little like the PT itself, Great at nothing, but good at lots

/ 1430 capabilities??? #19  
Perhaps I'm being a bit harsh?

I've lifted some pretty heavy trees (let's say 12" diameter cut into 8 or 10 foot lengths) with the 4n1--but the grapple would work better as the 4n1 can't get a very good bite on large diameter items and they have a tendency to fall out. Still it did the job. Also, trying to pickup up batches of brush (from a large pile of brush) with the 4n1 doesn't work very well because you really need grapple fangs that can curl around what you're trying to pick up.

Using the 4n1 as a boxblade on anything but loose material (soft soil or sand) is rough going. The problem is poor visibility: you have to angle the open bucket in such a way that it's hard to see where the cutting edge is.

Using the 4n1 as a dozer blade doesn't work that well either. Again, you have visibility problems but you also have to contend with the fact that the blade isn't very tall.

There are a couple of neat things you can do with the 4n1: 1) you can manipulate the stick and the aux lever simultaneously so you can scoop up loads of material (but it's tricky to get consistent with this manouever because it's tough to manipulate to controls that are so far apart--at least in my opinion). The other trick is you can cut into a bank using the 4n1--slicing material away similar to how you would go about it with a bucket.

Although I had started using the LM bucket first and then finally started using the 4n1, and thought it was really awesome, recently I've been using the LM much more because it is more efficient when moving large amount of soil or mulch or firewood or....well, you get the idea. I also find it a drag to have to hook/unhook the aux hoses when switching attachments because you have to shutdown, unhook the aux and reconnect the quick attach cylinder, startup and disconnect the implment from the quick attach, switch implements, shutdown and disconnect the quick attach cylinder and hook up the aux connection. They really should have just designed it so that the quick attach is always connected and then offered a separate aux hookup.

Anyway, I should also point out that I'm referring to a PT 425 and this thread is concerned with the 1430 which has larger attachments than the 425 (e.g. 425 4n1 is 45" and the 1430 4n1 is 54"). I would assume that the 1430 4n1 is also more heavy duty than the 425's. Perhaps someone could comment on that.

Now if you're driveway is like mine, packed crush stone with a binder, then I'd have to say forget about the 4n1 to maintain it. I haven't tried it but I can't see my 4n1 being able to scrap something that's as hard as concrete. I could probably take the soft middle part down but that's about it. I'm skeptical.

/ 1430 capabilities??? #20  
Perhaps I'm being a bit harsh?

I've lifted some pretty heavy trees (let's say 12" diameter cut into 8 or 10 foot lengths) with the 4n1--but the grapple would work better as the 4n1 can't get a very good bite on large diameter items and they have a tendency to fall out. Still it did the job. Also, trying to pickup up batches of brush (from a large pile of brush) with the 4n1 doesn't work very well because you really need grapple fangs that can curl around what you're trying to pick up.

Using the 4n1 as a boxblade on anything but loose material (soft soil or sand) is rough going. The problem is poor visibility: you have to angle the open bucket in such a way that it's hard to see where the cutting edge is.

Using the 4n1 as a dozer blade doesn't work that well either. Again, you have visibility problems but you also have to contend with the fact that the blade isn't very tall.

There are a couple of neat things you can do with the 4n1: 1) you can manipulate the stick and the aux lever simultaneously so you can scoop up loads of material (but it's tricky to get consistent with this manouever because it's tough to manipulate to controls that are so far apart--at least in my opinion). The other trick is you can cut into a bank using the 4n1--slicing material away similar to how you would go about it with a bucket.

Although I had started using the LM bucket first and then finally started using the 4n1, and thought it was really awesome, recently I've been using the LM much more because it is more efficient when moving large amount of soil or mulch or firewood or....well, you get the idea. I also find it a drag to have to hook/unhook the aux hoses when switching attachments because you have to shutdown, unhook the aux and reconnect the quick attach cylinder, startup and disconnect the implment from the quick attach, switch implements, shutdown and disconnect the quick attach cylinder and hook up the aux connection. They really should have just designed it so that the quick attach is always connected and then offered a separate aux hookup.

Anyway, I should also point out that I'm referring to a PT 425 and this thread is concerned with the 1430 which has larger attachments than the 425 (e.g. 425 4n1 is 45" and the 1430 4n1 is 54"). I would assume that the 1430 4n1 is also more heavy duty than the 425's. Perhaps someone could comment on that.

Now if you're driveway is like mine, packed crush stone with a binder, then I'd have to say forget about the 4n1 to maintain it. I haven't tried it but I can't see my 4n1 being able to scrap something that's as hard as concrete. I could probably take the soft middle part down but that's about it. I'm skeptical.