Stubborn oil leak

/ Stubborn oil leak #11  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( there was ½” of oil in the front of the tub. )</font>

With that much oil inside the tub, I would agree with Terry and put pinhole hose leak at the top of the list of possibile sources. I had virtually the same experience, save for the spousal banter /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif, last Spring. In my case, I was somewhat oblivious as I mowed 3 acres. When I stopped, I saw a LARGE puddle of oil accumulating rapidly on the ground under one of the bottom tub holes. When I opened the hood, I found 1/2 inch of oil and I freaked. I called Terry and actually brought my machine to Tazewell for warranty repair. It was indeed a wheel motor hose that had the leak. When I got home, I saw stripes of brown grass in a nice pattern. On further scrutiny the brown was caused by hydraulic oil leaking out of one of the tub holes as I merrily and obliviosly mowed, unsuspecting of anything amiss. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif. I was able to reconstruct almost exactly where the oil began to leak from the tub, and I estimate I was mowing for some 30-45 minutes with a hose leak. I don't know if I had the same problem again, if I would detect it any sooner. I try to be vigilant, but geez Louise, is is too much to expect that you could mow for a couple of hours without a disaster?

I would scrutinize the hoses first. Remember, do NOT use your finger or hand to try to detect a pinhole leak. The oil is under >2,000psi, and it can (will) easily penetrate the skin and dissect through the soft tissues, tendons, etc. in fingers/hand and wreak irreparable harm. Of this I am certain. Use instead a small patch of sheet aluminum held in a pliers or vise grip, and "scan" all surfaces of the hoses with this. A pinhole leak will produce an immediately visible spatter on the shiny aluminum. Apologies for the cautions and instructions if they are too elementary, but oil under that pressure is exceedingly dangerous.

On cleaning up, I found that Simple Green (which I like alot) didn't have the oomph to do the job. I went with "Gunk" in the citrus formula orange cap "for newer engines." It worked like magic.

/ Stubborn oil leak #12  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( there was ½” of oil in the front of the tub. )</font>

With that much oil inside the tub, I would agree with Terry and put pinhole hose leak at the top of the list of possibile sources. I had virtually the same experience, save for the spousal banter /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif, last Spring. In my case, I was somewhat oblivious as I mowed 3 acres. When I stopped, I saw a LARGE puddle of oil accumulating rapidly on the ground under one of the bottom tub holes. When I opened the hood, I found 1/2 inch of oil and I freaked. I called Terry and actually brought my machine to Tazewell for warranty repair. It was indeed a wheel motor hose that had the leak. When I got home, I saw stripes of brown grass in a nice pattern. On further scrutiny the brown was caused by hydraulic oil leaking out of one of the tub holes as I merrily and obliviosly mowed, unsuspecting of anything amiss. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif. I was able to reconstruct almost exactly where the oil began to leak from the tub, and I estimate I was mowing for some 30-45 minutes with a hose leak. I don't know if I had the same problem again, if I would detect it any sooner. I try to be vigilant, but geez Louise, is is too much to expect that you could mow for a couple of hours without a disaster?

I would scrutinize the hoses first. Remember, do NOT use your finger or hand to try to detect a pinhole leak. The oil is under >2,000psi, and it can (will) easily penetrate the skin and dissect through the soft tissues, tendons, etc. in fingers/hand and wreak irreparable harm. Of this I am certain. Use instead a small patch of sheet aluminum held in a pliers or vise grip, and "scan" all surfaces of the hoses with this. A pinhole leak will produce an immediately visible spatter on the shiny aluminum. Apologies for the cautions and instructions if they are too elementary, but oil under that pressure is exceedingly dangerous.

On cleaning up, I found that Simple Green (which I like alot) didn't have the oomph to do the job. I went with "Gunk" in the citrus formula orange cap "for newer engines." It worked like magic.

/ Stubborn oil leak #13  
I second JJ's suggestion on the leak detector. I had a leak in my engine compartment and put some in. I bought a kit that had the black light and dye and tested it out on the floor and it glowed bright green. If I shine the light in the tank at the cap it also glows very brightly. Of course, as Murphy would have it, the leak was a fuel hose, not hydaulic. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif But at least the stuff will always be in there until I have to change to oil.

/ Stubborn oil leak #14  
I second JJ's suggestion on the leak detector. I had a leak in my engine compartment and put some in. I bought a kit that had the black light and dye and tested it out on the floor and it glowed bright green. If I shine the light in the tank at the cap it also glows very brightly. Of course, as Murphy would have it, the leak was a fuel hose, not hydaulic. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif But at least the stuff will always be in there until I have to change to oil.

/ Stubborn oil leak #15  
Keep checking the reservoir oil level. You don't want to run out while finding the leak. Severe damage to pumps could result. You will be suprised how fast you can loose oil at 2500 PSI.

Bob Rip

/ Stubborn oil leak #16  
Keep checking the reservoir oil level. You don't want to run out while finding the leak. Severe damage to pumps could result. You will be suprised how fast you can loose oil at 2500 PSI.

Bob Rip

/ Stubborn oil leak #17  
Tracdoc,
Although some may find it insulting, I don't think that this type of warning can ever be repeated enough. Even though I find the pressure and it's effects obvious while sitting here at the computer I don't work with hydraulics enough for some of the basics to be second nature. I could see myself checking gas level or something with the engine running and noticing a slight spill. If I wasn't in "troubleshooting mode" I'd probably reach right down to wipe it up without much thought other than not touching anything hot along the way. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ Stubborn oil leak #18  
Tracdoc,
Although some may find it insulting, I don't think that this type of warning can ever be repeated enough. Even though I find the pressure and it's effects obvious while sitting here at the computer I don't work with hydraulics enough for some of the basics to be second nature. I could see myself checking gas level or something with the engine running and noticing a slight spill. If I wasn't in "troubleshooting mode" I'd probably reach right down to wipe it up without much thought other than not touching anything hot along the way. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ Stubborn oil leak #19  
You were talking about letting your wife tram the tractor while you walked beside it and looked for the leak, if you could place the pt against an immovable object and put the pt under strain it might make it easier to veiw in the tub to see where the leak is coming from. First wash down the machine to get the oil cleaned out then when you are straining the machine and you first hear the leak start or see the oil mist start shut the machine down watching the hoses because when the pressure fades away the leak will for a moment ozz out and that might give you enough to find the leak but if not then start checking the fittings and hoses starting with the top hoses and work your way down that way eliminating as much of the area as you can so that when you start the machine up your focus will be more concentrated since you will know where you first felt the oil. Sometimes a howe leak will spray a stream but when it hits another object it will fan out and seem like a mist. I have seen one hose leaking spraying on another hose and you couldn't tell which hose was a leaking until the machine was shut off and see the oil stream fade away. JJs way is the best with the tracer in the oil if you can find it. Hope you get the leak fixed soon with as little cost as possible. Be extremely careful when working around a running machine because you know that your working at your own risk.

/ Stubborn oil leak #20  
You were talking about letting your wife tram the tractor while you walked beside it and looked for the leak, if you could place the pt against an immovable object and put the pt under strain it might make it easier to veiw in the tub to see where the leak is coming from. First wash down the machine to get the oil cleaned out then when you are straining the machine and you first hear the leak start or see the oil mist start shut the machine down watching the hoses because when the pressure fades away the leak will for a moment ozz out and that might give you enough to find the leak but if not then start checking the fittings and hoses starting with the top hoses and work your way down that way eliminating as much of the area as you can so that when you start the machine up your focus will be more concentrated since you will know where you first felt the oil. Sometimes a howe leak will spray a stream but when it hits another object it will fan out and seem like a mist. I have seen one hose leaking spraying on another hose and you couldn't tell which hose was a leaking until the machine was shut off and see the oil stream fade away. JJs way is the best with the tracer in the oil if you can find it. Hope you get the leak fixed soon with as little cost as possible. Be extremely careful when working around a running machine because you know that your working at your own risk.