Unattached Hydraulic line caps

/ Unattached Hydraulic line caps #1  

TimOb

Bronze Member
Tractor
Power Trac PT425
The issue is to keep the ends of the hydraulic lines clean when they are not attached. For instance, when you hook up the mini hoe lines, you first have to detach the QA lines. What do you use to cover the exposed ends of the QA lines to keep the dirt and crud out? I've been wrapping rags around the ends, but that's getting tiresome. It would be nice to have some spare hose ends, or plastic caps of some sort.

/ Unattached Hydraulic line caps
The issue is to keep the ends of the hydraulic lines clean when they are not attached. For instance, when you hook up the mini hoe lines, you first have to detach the QA lines. What do you use to cover the exposed ends of the QA lines to keep the dirt and crud out? I've been wrapping rags around the ends, but that's getting tiresome. It would be nice to have some spare hose ends, or plastic caps of some sort.

/ Unattached Hydraulic line caps #3  
Tim,

If you have a Tractor Supply Co store near you, they would be a great source for all manner of caps for hydraulics. They're cheap, so unless you're buying by the dozen, it's not worth buying on-line and then paying the high shipping these days (fuel surcharge, blah, blah, blah...).

As an alternative, I often use mechanics disposable rubber gloves. You can slip the end of the hydraulic fitting into the glove and then stretch the wrist portion and make a knot around the hose. Very effective. Remember to use only nitrile or PVC gloves. The oil will eat through latex rubber in a matter of hours /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif The gloves also make great drip preventers for the end of a greas gun---just slip the end of the gun into the open end of the glove and no more drips.

/ Unattached Hydraulic line caps #4  
Tim,

If you have a Tractor Supply Co store near you, they would be a great source for all manner of caps for hydraulics. They're cheap, so unless you're buying by the dozen, it's not worth buying on-line and then paying the high shipping these days (fuel surcharge, blah, blah, blah...).

As an alternative, I often use mechanics disposable rubber gloves. You can slip the end of the hydraulic fitting into the glove and then stretch the wrist portion and make a knot around the hose. Very effective. Remember to use only nitrile or PVC gloves. The oil will eat through latex rubber in a matter of hours /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif The gloves also make great drip preventers for the end of a greas gun---just slip the end of the gun into the open end of the glove and no more drips.

Doc,
Great ideas. I'll have to check with tsc online. I like the idea of something reusable. Yesterday, I had to switch between my mini hoe and 4n1 bucket 3 or 4 times in the span of a couple hours. A quick reusable cap would have saved several minutes of fiddling with rags.

Thanks, Tim

Doc,
Great ideas. I'll have to check with tsc online. I like the idea of something reusable. Yesterday, I had to switch between my mini hoe and 4n1 bucket 3 or 4 times in the span of a couple hours. A quick reusable cap would have saved several minutes of fiddling with rags.

Thanks, Tim

/ Unattached Hydraulic line caps #7  
If one of the hose is male and the other female, why not just plug one into the other. If you want plastic or metal caps, Surplus hydraulics might have them. You could also make up a set of dummy plugs for storage.

/ Unattached Hydraulic line caps #8  
If one of the hose is male and the other female, why not just plug one into the other. If you want plastic or metal caps, Surplus hydraulics might have them. You could also make up a set of dummy plugs for storage.

/ Unattached Hydraulic line caps #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( keep the ends of the hydraulic lines clean )</font>

<font color="red"> For the PTO hoses on the PT-425, I use ZipLoc 'snack bags' (7" wide X 4" long). Cut off one 4" side. Slip over the hose end and mounting bracket. Hold in place with a 'broccoli' 1-1/2" diameter rubber band. Is cheap, hardly noticeable, and keeps the entire end clean!

On the attachment end just couple the two hoses together.

For the small hoses use rubber chair leg ends. </font>

/ Unattached Hydraulic line caps #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( keep the ends of the hydraulic lines clean )</font>

<font color="red"> For the PTO hoses on the PT-425, I use ZipLoc 'snack bags' (7" wide X 4" long). Cut off one 4" side. Slip over the hose end and mounting bracket. Hold in place with a 'broccoli' 1-1/2" diameter rubber band. Is cheap, hardly noticeable, and keeps the entire end clean!

On the attachment end just couple the two hoses together.

For the small hoses use rubber chair leg ends. </font>