Tiller seal replacement

/ Tiller seal replacement #11  
MossRoad said:
Test reply to J_J using the quote button.

Guess we'll have to use the quote button, J_J. It's fastest and easiest and keeps you and me on the same thought train. :D

/ Tiller seal replacement #12  
J_J said:
Bob, When you get the nut off the shaft, please take a close up picture of the nut. I can't see the nut in the picture. I am just curious. I have a 6 ft tiller also, for my 1445.

Please check my post on trencher motor replacement. I am not removing mine here. I belive I have a picture on the old post.

Bob Rip

/ Tiller seal replacement #13  
BobRip said:
Please check my post on trencher motor replacement. I am not removing mine here. I belive I have a picture on the old post.

Bob Rip

Bob, Sorry, I should have sent the reply to DHS, DHS, if you read this, please take a picture of the nut that requires a special tool.

/ Tiller seal replacement #14  
MossRoad said:
Guess we'll have to use the quote button, J_J. It's fastest and easiest and keeps you and me on the same thought train. :D

We could also use the post # in the right side of the screen. As in post # 22 etc.

The QUOTE is OK for short post, but what about the page long post, and then having to reply to this with a page long post.

/ Tiller seal replacement #15  
J_J said:

Still an extra step but you can just delete everything between the two sets of brakets [I think it needs a couple characters left though]. I generally delete everything but what I'm replying to anyway.

/ Tiller seal replacement
J_J,

I plan to post a picture of the castellation nut and the tool. I ordered the seal kit, bearing, and castellation socket Wednesday. I assume it will arrive sometime next week.

Terry at PT has been great to work with. He said the bearing normally needs replacing when they replace the seal on the tiller motor. The hydraulic shop that opened the motor confirmed the bearing was bad.

Dale

/ Tiller seal replacement #17  
See attached picture of castellation socket.

Bob Rip

Attachments

• Trencher Socket.jpg
    Trencher Socket.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 103
   / Tiller seal replacement #18  
BobRip said:
See attached picture of castellation socket.

Bob Rip

Bob, Thanks for the picture. I have never seen one before, but I thiink I would make a tool that would work, and save on the shipping both ways. What so you think the keyway is used for, since the nut appears to have threads. Is there something to lock the nut secure, and would a nylon lock nut work just as well?

/ Tiller seal replacement #19  
Call me dumb, but I just realized that the castellated nut is nothing more than a castle nut , similar to the nuts to hold the wheel hub on an axle. What I don't get is why they are using a castle nut to secure the nut on the shaft, because it is necesary to use a pin to keep the nut from turning.

cas'tellated nut'

CASTLE NUT

a tall lock nut, having on its outer face radial slits allowing for insertion of a cotter pin or wire in both the nut and a hole in its bolt, so as to prevent the nut from coming loose. See illus. under nut. Also called castle nut.

/ Tiller seal replacement #20  
J_J said:
Bob, Thanks for the picture. I have never seen one before, but I thiink I would make a tool that would work, and save on the shipping both ways. What so you think the keyway is used for, since the nut appears to have threads. Is there something to lock the nut secure, and would a nylon lock nut work just as well?

The keyways actually turn the castellation nut. They use this approach because it allows them to put a large bolt and nut in a small shaft. There is no clearance between the sides of the nut and the hole or shaft it is in. A normal socket would not fit down over it. You could probably make some kind of spanner wrench or modify an existing socket. It would be nice to have the nut out first so that you could get a pattern. Let me know what you work out. Knowing you, you can probably make something.

Bob Rip