Tiller seal replacement

/ Tiller seal replacement #1  

DHS

Silver Member
Tractor
PT-422
My tiller hydraulic motor developed a leaking seal by the shaft. The motor shaft is mounted to a threaded 8 inch cylinder that goes over and attaches to the tiller shaft. Removing the cylinder from the tiller tyne shaft was easy. I have been unable to remove the cylinder from the shaft of the hydraulic motor.

Has anyone replaced their tiller motor seal and do you know the procedure for removing the cylinder?

Thank-you,

Dale

/ Tiller seal replacement #2  
I have removed the motor from the trencher. Maybe it is the same. Look for my post on that or send me a picture of your tiller.

Bob Rip

/ Tiller seal replacement
BobRip,

I looked at your trencher post and I believe the connection it is similar to my tiller.

Dale

Attachments

• IMG_0059.JPG
    IMG_0059.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 118
   / Tiller seal replacement
BobRip,

The is another picture looking down the barrel of the beast. I ordered the seal kit and bearing from PT. They will loan me the tool to extract the nut.

Thanks for your advice,

Dale

Attachments

• IMG_0060.JPG
    IMG_0060.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 121
   / Tiller seal replacement #5  
Yes, it looks the same. If you call Terry at Power Trac, they will loan you a special castellation socket. They have these custom made. They charge it to your credit card, and when you send it back you get credit. You pay shipping both ways.

Bob Rip

/ Tiller seal replacement #6  
Bob, When you get the nut off the shaft, please take a close up picture of the nut. I can't see the nut in the picture. I am just curious. I have a 6 ft tiller also, for my 1445.

/ Tiller seal replacement #7  
Before they changed the program, when you sent a reply , the title had the persons ID in the title. Now, if you don't use Quote, and you do not use their ID in the reply, It is hard to know to whom you are replying. Is there any other way to reference the post? Maybe use the post #? I usually try and use the persons ID in all my post. If I knew all the names, I would use them.

/ Tiller seal replacement #8  
If it follows the stump cutter - i.e. 4XX has a straight shaft, while my 2445 has tapered - you should be alright there, else you may want to have a press handy too.

I put a seal kit in my PHD recently and it's not too bad of a job.

/ Tiller seal replacement #9  
Test reply to J_J using the quick reply button to the right of the quote button.

/ Tiller seal replacement #10  
J_J said:
Before they changed the program, when you sent a reply , the title had the persons ID in the title. Now, if you don't use Quote, and you do not use their ID in the reply, It is hard to know to whom you are replying. Is there any other way to reference the post? Maybe use the post #? I usually try and use the persons ID in all my post. If I knew all the names, I would use them.

Test reply to J_J using the quote button.