Hooray - I'm finally ordering a PT 422

/ Hooray - I'm finally ordering a PT 422 #11  
I READ MOSS ROADS LIST OF TOOLS TO REMOVE OR INSTALL THE BLADES ON THE BRUSH MOWER. HAVEN'T HAD TO DO IT YET, BUT WAS WONDERING HOW TO DO IT EXACTLY. I WASN'T EXPECTING TO USE A GEAR PULLER
(ALTHOUGH I HAVE ONE). ANY OTHER SECRETS I SHOULD KNOW BEFORE THE TIME COMES. I AM GOING TO ORDER THE BUSHINGS NOW AT YOUR SUGGESTION. ALSO, I DON'T SEE ANY GREASE FITTINGS FOR THE MOWER. I LIKE TO GREASE THINGS (MY ONE WEAKNESS) AND I HAVEN'T FOUND ANY FITTINGS YET!

/ Hooray - I'm finally ordering a PT 422 #12  
TRUKFXR said:
I READ MOSS ROADS LIST OF TOOLS TO REMOVE OR INSTALL THE BLADES ON THE BRUSH MOWER. HAVEN'T HAD TO DO IT YET, BUT WAS WONDERING HOW TO DO IT EXACTLY. I WASN'T EXPECTING TO USE A GEAR PULLER
(ALTHOUGH I HAVE ONE). ANY OTHER SECRETS I SHOULD KNOW BEFORE THE TIME COMES. I AM GOING TO ORDER THE BUSHINGS NOW AT YOUR SUGGESTION. ALSO, I DON'T SEE ANY GREASE FITTINGS FOR THE MOWER. I LIKE TO GREASE THINGS (MY ONE WEAKNESS) AND I HAVEN'T FOUND ANY FITTINGS YET!

O.K. here goes....

Remove the two bolts that hold the hydraulic motor to the brackets.

Lift the motor and the rubber star that is in the center of the lovejoy coupling.

Remove the greas zerk from the side of the spindle.

Loosen the allen head set screw that holds the key to the spindle shaft.

Use a gear puller to remove the bottom of the lovejoy coupling from the spindle shaft.

Remove the five lug bolts that hold the spindle to the deck.

The hub with blades attached drops to the ground.

Use the PT to lift the deck off of the hub and back away, set it down and shut it off.

Use two lock nuts on the back side of the broken bolt to remove it from the nut that is welded to the back of the hub.

Install a new bolt through a new bushing in the hole in the blade and through the nut that is welded to the inside of the hub.

Inspect the other bolts for wear. You might as well replace them if you have the unit disassembled this far. :cool:

Reverse these instructions to put it back together.

Here's a link to a post with a bunch of pictures of the brush hog disassembled.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30193&highlight=brush+blade+bolt

/ Hooray - I'm finally ordering a PT 422 #13  
The grease fittings on the finish mower are on each of the spindles UNDERNEATH the deck. :eek:

You have to lift the deck to get to them. Don't put your body under the deck. You can reach them by kneeling in front of the deck with it fully raised and tilted up. Just your arms will be under the deck.:cool:

/ Hooray - I'm finally ordering a PT 422 #14  
MossRoad said:
O.K. here goes....

Remove the two bolts that hold the hydraulic motor to the brackets.

Lift the motor and the rubber star that is in the center of the lovejoy coupling.

Remove the greas zerk from the side of the spindle.

Loosen the allen head set screw that holds the key to the spindle shaft.

Use a gear puller to remove the bottom of the lovejoy coupling from the spindle shaft.

Remove the five lug bolts that hold the spindle to the deck.

The hub with blades attached drops to the ground.

Use the PT to lift the deck off of the hub and back away, set it down and shut it off.

Use two lock nuts on the back side of the broken bolt to remove it from the nut that is welded to the back of the hub.

Install a new bolt through a new bushing in the hole in the blade and through the nut that is welded to the inside of the hub.

Inspect the other bolts for wear. You might as well replace them if you have the unit disassembled this far. :cool:

Reverse these instructions to put it back together.

Here's a link to a post with a bunch of pictures of the brush hog disassembled.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30193&highlight=brush+blade+bolt

I used another method to remove the bolt. It worked for me. It may not work everytime. From below I drilled a small hold in the center of the bolt and then used an easy out to spin the bolt out. The bolt came out very easily and the whole task took about 10 minutes. Of course you have to work under the brush cutter and support it properly.

Bob Rip

/ Hooray - I'm finally ordering a PT 422 #15  
BobRip said:
I used another method to remove the bolt. It worked for me. It may not work everytime. From below I drilled a small hold in the center of the bolt and then used an easy out to spin the bolt out. The bolt came out very easily and the whole task took about 10 minutes. Of course you have to work under the brush cutter and support it properly.

Bob Rip

I've never been able to use easy outs very well, but will try it next time. Thanks for the tip.:)

/ Hooray - I'm finally ordering a PT 422 #16  
I did it your way or similar the first time. The second time I figured this out.

Bob Rip

/ Hooray - I'm finally ordering a PT 422 #17  
MossRoad said:
The grease fittings on the finish mower are on each of the spindles UNDERNEATH the deck. :eek:

You have to lift the deck to get to them. Don't put your body under the deck. You can reach them by kneeling in front of the deck with it fully raised and tilted up. Just your arms will be under the deck.:cool:

We have a lot of newcomers since I first mentioned my own special safety drill.
In the first picture it shows the left side rear bolt being removed to allow the swing arm to be bolted solid. Do the same to the right side, the bolts do not need to be wrench tight. Reattach the PT for lifting the mower deck, and placing wherever you wish to work. The second picture shows a much safer working situation. Since I took this picture I now have a piece of two by four, the correct length placed under the bottom of the QA plate. Taking time to change those two bolts is much quicker than any of the other possibilities, which could occur if you don't have the time to spare.

Good luck and safe wishes, Bill

Last edited:
   / Hooray - I'm finally ordering a PT 422 #18  
NJBill said:
We have a lot of newcomers since I first mentioned my own special safety drill.
In the first picture it shows the left side rear bolt being removed to allow the swing arm to be bolted solid. Do the same to the right side, the bolts do not need to be wrench tight. Reattach the PT for lifting the mower deck, and placing wherever you wish to work. The second picture shows a much safer working situation. Since I took this picture I now have a piece of two by four, the correct length placed under the bottom of the QA plate. Taking time to change those two bolts is much quicker than any of the other possibilities, which could occur if you don't have the time to spare.

Good luck and safe wishes, Bill

Second pic on it's way

/ Hooray - I'm finally ordering a PT 422 #19  
NJBill said:
Second pic on it's way
this job used to be easy , I'll keep tryiong for the other pic.

Last edited:
   / Hooray - I'm finally ordering a PT 422 #20  
MOSS,
THANKS FOR THE INFO ON THE BRUSH MOWER REPAIR. I READ THE OTHER
POSTS AND THIS WILL BE A GREAT REFERENCE IN THE FUTURE.