What is the 1845's mudding ability?

/ What is the 1845's mudding ability? #1  

mangumjs

Tractor
Debating on PT 1845
Hello all,

I am new to the forum, brought in by an internet search for slope mowers. I am considering an PT1845 and I have even been to Tazewell (at the end of a family vacation). My property has a retention pond with 30 degree slopes (measured them) that rise about 20 feet in elevation. Other slopes on the 4.5 acres are about 20 degrees. The top of my pond sits below a larger retention pond with much higher/steeper slopes (maybe my neighbor should buy an 1850). The top and bottom of my pond get marshy at times but I still want to control the vegitation. I have twice already swamped a 4wd New Holland 1250 (?). If I invest the 24k (base price) in a PT1845 I want to know that I have a better chance of moving across the wet areas without getting stuck. Does anyone have experience with the dual wheels in the mud?

/ What is the 1845's mudding ability? #3  
I have no idea how a PT with duals works in the mud. But I can tell you that the duals on my Wheelhorse tractor are the ultimate solution to boggy mud, they just float right over the top. I have had cases where the tread just gets loaded with mud and you lose quite alot of grip, but thats going to happen with any machine in the mud.
The hills here are only 15 degrees, but the duals just walk right up them even when its raining.

/ What is the 1845's mudding ability? #4  
Jeff:
I only have single tires on my 1845, and little mud. I have bogged in soupy mud in a tilled garden, however, so that it was literally floating on the belly pans. To my astonishment, I was able to wiggle it out just by turning back and forth with the wheels slowly rotating in reverse. That was with single turf tires. I now have bar tires on it, but can't really see a difference, even side hill mowing in damp conditions.
I can't imagine any better mud machine than an 1845 with duals. But, if that 30 degree slope is wet, I suspect a nice easy stable ride toward the pond may be in your future.
I'm a couple of hours east of you, but if you get near Annapolis I'd be happy to show you my 1845 on a similar hill to your banks.
cei

/ What is the 1845's mudding ability? #5  
Sorry, mine "had" duals but I never found myself in a muddy situation. On the plus side, the 1845 is pretty light and the duals should help it float over a lot of stuff. On the negative side, the ground clearance is very low (although this could be a plus I guess...you certainly won't "bury" it).

/ What is the 1845's mudding ability?
Thanks for the offer Charlie, I may take you up on it. As for sliding into the pond, the slopes I would be cutting are on the retention side so I would slip down hill away from the water.

/ What is the 1845's mudding ability? #7  
Hi Jeff,

I've got an 1850 (w/duals) and no mud, so I'm not gonna bring much to the discussion on that front -- but I spend a lot of time on steep (35-45 degree) slopes on that machine. A cautionary note about sliding. I find that I slide on slopes sortof the way a plane gets blown sideways by the wind -- I always feel like I'm in control of the situation, but the machine does slide sideways as it traverses a steep hill. If there aren't any obstructions (read "trees") on your hill, you're probably going to be fine and have a blast. But if you've got trees to navigate, you may get hung up a time or two. At first, I got really good at cutting down trees. Now I'm really good at working the PT around from the "upside" of the tree to the "downside" of the tree, at which point I just keep on sliding down the hill, but now I'm sliding away from the tree and I'm all good.

/ What is the 1845's mudding ability?
Thanks Mike. The picture of your 1850 wrapped around a tree says a lot. Thank PT for 3/4 " steel plate.

In my scenario I only have a couple trees at the bottom of the retention dam and they are in the shallowest part of the hill and may interfere with turning around so I have planned on cutting them out. But if I ever get an 1845 and it decides to hug a tree I'll look you up.