Buying Advice Need Robin 22 starter replacement advice

/ Need Robin 22 starter replacement advice #1  

DHS

Silver Member
Tractor
PT-422
Good evening,

The starter in my PT-422 stopped working. I have a replacement starter for my Robin engine. Has anyone replaced a Robin starter without pulling the engine? If you have please give me some pointers. The engine comparment is very tight and I have a problem getting a socket on the bolts.

Thank-you

Dale

/ Need Robin 22 starter replacement advice #2  
DHS said:
Good evening,

The starter in my PT-422 stopped working. I have a replacement starter for my Robin engine. Has anyone replaced a Robin starter without pulling the engine? If you have please give me some pointers. The engine comparment is very tight and I have a problem getting a socket on the bolts.

Thank-you

Dale

I have replaced mine without engine replacement. See the link below. It helps if you loosed the bolts that hold the engine base to the power trace bottom plate. Then you can slide this to the side. Please note that I also replaced the coils and this was the more difficult part. You will probably not have to do as much.
Are you sure it is the starter. Try jump starting the engine by connecting power from a known good battery directly to the engine for the ground and the positive terminal on the starter. Use jumper cables.

Use as smaller jumper wire to engage the solenoid. If this does not make sense to you then get a good electrical troublershooter to help. Clint Blake had a bad positive battery cable.
Bob Rip
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47922&highlight=starter

/ Need Robin 22 starter replacement advice
BobRip,

Thanks for your reply. I also replaced the original coils and starter. I removed the pumps and unbolted the engine from the mounting plate. Was an easy job but very time consuming. I am now looking for a path of less resistance.

I have 12.7 volts on my battery. I checked the cables since I replaced them about a year ago. I jumped 12 volts to the solenoid and it picked up but does not supply power to the starter. I jumped 12 volts to the starter terminal and the starter spun without engaging. Then everything went dead. Meaning no solenoid pickup, any starter spin with 12 volts applied.

I am pretty confident it is the starter. I have the old one to try.

I may try your suggestion to remove the bolts that hold the engine mounting plate to the power trac bottom instead of unbolting the engine from the mounting plate. Yours is probably the easier method.

Thank-you

Dale

/ Need Robin 22 starter replacement advice
Bob Rip,

I took your suggestions to heart. This morning, I decided to analyze the problems from the beginning. I checked the voltage to ground at the end of the positive cable. It was 12.3 volts. I connected a new jumper from the positive battery terminal to the solenoid and it picked up. The starter also spun when energized. Then I placed a load, hydraulic fan, on the positive cable and the voltage dropped to zero.

Seems the positive cable provided adequate no load voltage but was corroded enough to not allow much current. It was a bad positive cable; I cleaned the terminals and connections yesterday. I replaced the positive cable and it works fine.

Bob thanks for your suggestions they saved me lots of time.

Dale

/ Need Robin 22 starter replacement advice #5  
DHS said:
Bob Rip,

I took your suggestions to heart. This morning, I decided to analyze the problems from the beginning. I checked the voltage to ground at the end of the positive cable. It was 12.3 volts. I connected a new jumper from the positive battery terminal to the solenoid and it picked up. The starter also spun when energized. Then I placed a load, hydraulic fan, on the positive cable and the voltage dropped to zero.

Seems the positive cable provided adequate no load voltage but was corroded enough to not allow much current. It was a bad positive cable; I cleaned the terminals and connections yesterday. I replaced the positive cable and it works fine.

Bob thanks for your suggestions they saved me lots of time.

Dale

Great, I am glad you found a simple, cheap, and easy to fix problem.