Why not Skid Steer Attachments

/ Why not Skid Steer Attachments #1  

catvet

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L-39
If I was to take the plunge on a Power Trac I would probably be looking at getting the 1445 or 1460 for the lift capability. These machines seem to have similiar operating capacities and hydraulic flows as the higher end skid steers.

In such a situation would it make sense to get a custom attachment plate, weld it to a universal skid steer adapter and go with skid steer attachments? There seems to be more choices, and at least in a number of cases, lower prices in skid steer attachments. I would also think that there would be more of a resale market with the number of skid steers out there.

Are power trac attachments better made than what you generally find in the skid steer world?

/ Why not Skid Steer Attachments #2  
One problem with using skidsteer attachments on a PT, is that the hydraulic PTO pump on the PT doesn't put out the volume of most skidsteers.

The 1445 PTO circuit is only 15 GPM, and the 1460 circuit is 18 GPM, as far as I know.

Also note that most skidsteer attachments are VERY heavy, in comparison, reducing the lift capacity -- and that's before you add the weight of the "custom adapter" to them on a PT...

/ Why not Skid Steer Attachments #3  
I would hestiate to buy a PT with the intention of using mostly other tractor's attachments.
KentT makes a good point about hydraulic flow, but others might be lift height requirements (the PT is lower), tilt angles, and other unpredictable things. If you want to spend a lot of time configuring the attachments, then OK, If you want to just use them, then largely go with PT attachments.
Do you already have a bunch of skid steer attachments? If so this might be OK. If not, then you take the risk that the attachment won't work right and could become easily frustated.
This is just my opinion. I don't know your situation or your talents and it might work out great for you.

Bob Rip

/ Why not Skid Steer Attachments #4  
I agree with the prior comments, but I do have a Power-Trac-to-Skidsteer adapter. After some headscratching and running the 1845 through its lift and curl motions to check for interference, Steve Fischer, in PA, welded a quick attach plate to a skidsteer quick attach. I have only used it for a grapple bucket, but it seens to work fine.
I, too, prefer purpose-built Power Trac attachments, since I've found them to work well, and to be competitively priced. If you already have skid steer stuff, an adapter is a good investment. Although the PTO flow may not be quite the same, few attachments require more than a 1445 or 1460 can deliver.

/ Why not Skid Steer Attachments
Thanks for the feedback. I was thinking there were more choices for skid steers and it would be easier to resell if you no longer need the attachment. But good points as far as tilt, lift height, etc. I'm not sure about the weight issue since the higher end Power Tracs seem to have as much, or more, rated operating capacity as most skid steers. Am I misinterrupting the ratings?

/ Why not Skid Steer Attachments #6  
catvet said:
Power Tracs seem to have as much, or more, rated operating capacity as most skid steers. Am I misinterrupting the ratings?

I think you have to look at the ratings carefully. My understanding is that PT lists absolute lifting capacity. If it says 2400 pounds it means that is the maximum lift capacity.

Most skid steer ratings that I have seen use a different rating system--typically a percent of absolute capacity. Tipping weights also figure into the rating system for skid steers as I understand it.

/ Why not Skid Steer Attachments
Thanks for all the replies. To answer some of the questions. No I don't have skid steer attachments at this point. I've looked a number of them online and am impressed with the variety and in some cases the price. I'm looking primarily at attachments which would help me moving logs for my sawmill and rocks, some of them pretty large for building walls and roadways on our property.

My understanding, from the construction forum here on TBN, is that rated operating capacity on skid steers is 35% of their tipping load. Based on these most skidsteers are at about the same, or less, capacity as the higher end Power Tracs.

/ Why not Skid Steer Attachments #8  
For moving logs around I would think a grapple bucket would be ideal. Probably better than forks, as using forks would require more of a balancing act VS the gripping power of the grapple bucket. For retaining wall and landscape boulders I'd go with forks for big boulders and mini-hoe with a thumb for smaller ones. For road bed rocks and gravel, I'd think a bucket with tooth bar would work really well. Maybe the grapple bucket with tooth bar would work just fine, as well, for moving road bed rocks. So, it sounds like you only need two implements, maybe three at the most...

Grapple Bucket with teeth.
Mini-hoe with thumb.
Forks (which are super handy for many tasks).

/ Why not Skid Steer Attachments #9  
A 1445 or 1460 with a 4in1 bucket could grab, lift and move both logs and large rocks with ease but the most impressive thing I have found is how you can safely and very precisely place the log or rock exactly where you want it, rather than drop it and hope it lands where you want it. Power-trac could tell you the size of the bite on the 4in1 for that size machine, that will tell you how big a boulder you can grapple, anything bigger you can move in the normal bucket postion.