Possible PT Owner Questions

/ Possible PT Owner Questions #1  

woodlandfarms

Tractor
PowerTrac 1850, Kubota RTV x900
I have 40 acres of hills and blackberries in SW Washington state. After renting a CUT (kubota) I am concerned the tractor I want may be too tippy on the hills we have. In asking the group, someone recommended the PT lineup. So, a few questions maybe you can help with... This question is a bit vague in terms of which tractor, I would love your input on that as well...

I need to knock the brush back. Is the tractor high enough to handle rough areas and is the brush hog strong enough to survive the surprises of years of overgrowth...

I look at the 40degree tractor.. Seems like the brush hog is HUGE on this machine...

How well do the tractors work/compare to a CUT. Specifically, I need an FEL for basic maintenance work, maybe a box scraper, maybe a tiller, definitily a chipper...

Finally, because of my location, does anyone know where parts / service / sales would be?

just to be fare, the tractor, 35hp, loaded with all accessories I need, is running around 21K.

From what I read here, the PT may have overheating issues, hydraulic hoses that are susceptable to hangs and wear, but they are very manuevarable and stable.

Thanks to everyones insight...

/ Possible PT Owner Questions #2  
Chech out either of these articulating models, not PT but similiar
Antonio Carraro
Check the articulated models with 0-39 HP, specifically the Rondo or SP4400 HST should work. I really like these models.
Steve

/ Possible PT Owner Questions #3  
A PT 1430 (30hp) would fit your needs and budget nicely. The only real issue would be your willingness to swing a wrench as there is essentially no dealer support for the PTs, just a great group at TBN to tell you which direction to turn the wrench;). You could add a grapple bucket and brush cutter and still be under your plain tractor budget (although you'd have to figure transport charges from WVa). PT implements seem to cost either the same or less than comparable tractor implements. I believe the trick with PTs and transport is to buy everything at once to minimize shipping charges.

/ Possible PT Owner Questions #4  
(I need to knock the brush back. Is the tractor high enough to handle rough areas and is the brush hog strong enough to survive the surprises of years of overgrowth...)

--I have a 1430 with 30 hrs on it. the tractor has around 9 inches of clearance but dont let that stop you from considering it. the bottom is solid steel so nothing is going to get hung up on it. Also we have have alot of ledge anywhere from ground level up to 5 ft high. the PT manuvers over it really well. Our brush hog has hit some of this ledge and tree stumps and logs that have been hidden in brushes for years. So far, say 10 hrs of using the brush mower in this stuff we broke 2 bolts and bent the blades.---

(How well do the tractors work/compare to a CUT. Specifically, I need an FEL for basic maintenance work, maybe a box scraper, maybe a tiller, definitily a chipper...)

---The PT is a jack of all trades vehicle. because of its manuveribility it will do alot of jobs quicker than most cuts.--

(Finally, because of my location, does anyone know where parts / service / sales would be?)

--- Majority of the parts come directly from power-trac. Service is either do it yourself, a local hydraulic shop, call terry at power trac or the knowledgable people who already own a PT.--

(just to be fare, the tractor, 35hp, loaded with all accessories I need, is running around 21K.)

---The base price for the pt 1430 30hp disel is $16,000 we got the 4n1 bucket,blade,brush mower,stump grinder,tiller,rake pluss shipping($1600) to Mass for around $25-$26K --

(From what I read here, the PT may have overheating issues, hydraulic hoses that are susceptable to hangs and wear, but they are very manuevarable and stable.)

--Haven't had problems with those so cant answer them for you.--
Thanks to everyones insight...[/QUOTE]

/ Possible PT Owner Questions #5  
woodlandfarms said:
I look at the 40degree tractor.. Seems like the brush hog is HUGE on this machine...

How well do the tractors work/compare to a CUT. Specifically, I need an FEL for basic maintenance work, maybe a box scraper, maybe a tiller, definitily a chipper...

Finally, because of my location, does anyone know where parts / service / sales would be?

From what I read here, the PT may have overheating issues, hydraulic hoses that are susceptable to hangs and wear, but they are very manuevarable and stable.

I have done a lot of mowing with my 1845, with a 72" rough-cut deck. I have had one hose leak, where a hose to a steering cylinder lost its end, but I do not think the machine is susceptible to hangs & wear of hoses. I've run the rough-cut 72" mower through and over rough areas, saplings, multiflora rose, etc., without problem.

You'll see a lot of posts on here about the diesels overheating. That is a problem only when mowing in high-chaff conditions. The engines are oil cooled, and the cooler packs with chaff fairly easily. It's also easily cleaned. Some screen wire on the back of the machine greatly extends mowing time between cleanings of the cooler. I am now experimenting with a centrifugal filter, but I like to experiment. With screen wire, I get a full day of pasture mowing between cleanings of the cooler.

I bought the machine because I have steep hills, and occasionally rode a sliding John Deere 950 down one or the other. No upsets except my stomach. The Power Trac is stable on those hills, has no tendency to turn over, and seldom slides all four wheels. It will go places with ease that I wouldn't attempt with conventional tractors.

For loader work, or forks, I think the PT will outwork any CUT. For box blade, I don't think the PT can compete with a heavy conventional trator, but I have the tractor mounted one, not the PT. I have a 4 n 1 bucket on the PT, but I'm not good at grading and smoothing with it. I like the PT tiller in the front better than the 3-point on a JD 2240, which we also have.

I have had times when I used the front hoe, tiller, bucket, forks and mower, all in the space of a couple of hours. Once you try out front mounted implements, and the Power Trac quick attach system, you'll never want a 3-point machine again.

I'm prejudiced, of course, but our farm has 3 John Deere tractors of varying sizes. The Power Trac is MINE. :D