Wheel motors

/ Wheel motors #11  
Farmall140 said:
JJ...where can you get a double valve stem tube? I have a wheel that constantly leaks and requires air every 4 days or so...have had the tire off, rim cleaned but still leaks. I would rather tube it then slime it though.

To find a leak, I use a spray bottle of water with some detergent in it. I spray the whole tire. It will show the leak by bubbles appearing. It work every time

I have never seen a dual valve stem tube. I believe the rim that has two holes for tire stems, was designed so it would be easy to fill from the outside, no matter if the tires were reversed or not. I think it is best if you slime it, because if you get a puncture with a tube, you have to break the tire down and repair. If it is a small puncture, you could slime the tube, and prevent other leaks. They say that slime will stop up a 1/4 in puncture. It is best if you break down the tire on one side and add slime. It is just to slow to add it through the valve stem.

One note of caution if you are going to put a tube in. After you break the tire down, use a rag and wipe around the inside of the tire to check for small nails that you can't see from the outside. If you don't, and put the tube in, you will destroy the tube. I did that one time, so that is how I know.

You can also do hot patches, if you can find them. The patch actually vulcanizes to the rubber. Side walls are a little difficult because they twist, and flex more than the bottom .

I believe that somebody on this web site had a mixture of antifreeze and slime in their tires.

/ Wheel motors #12  
I have a mixture of winter-mix windshield washer fluid and tire sealant in mine, but it isn't Slime. It's Hydro-Seal, designed specifically for use in fluid-filled tires.

It works well. Except for breaking a valve stem, I've had NO flats since I put it in, where I'd already had four flats previously... Thorns, stubble and such are hard on tires when working in the woods.

/ Wheel motors #13  
J_J said:
... It is best if you break down the tire on one side and add slime. It is just to slow to add it through the valve stem.

I forget who, but some kind soul told me to let all of the air out of my tire, remove the valve guts from the stem, attach the slime bottle, then lift the weight off of the tire with the FEL (or a jack for a rear tire) and it will suck the slime in as the tire returns to its normal shape. I tried it. It works great. Thanks to the person that told me this!!! :)

/ Wheel motors #17  
Perhaps I'll try to slime the tire. Would a 32oz. bottle do more than 1 tire?

/ Wheel motors #18  
I have 196 hours on my 425. It is out of service right now with the second leaking wheel motor, and an electrical short.

I keep it full of fluid and change the filters regularly. Just can't understand two leaking motors in less than 6 months.

It also has an electrical short that I haven't tracked down yet. I had a freight delivery here last week. They said I needed either a loading dock or a fork lift. I told them my tractor forks would handle the load. I heard the truck turn off the paved road about 5/8 mile away and started up the tractor to warm it up.

The driver made it to my place and I told him where to back up for unloading. Just as he opened the back of the truck the tractor died and nothing would get it started. Fortunately the item really wasn't very heavy (175 pounds) so we unloaded by hand. That was easy. Living down the embarassment is gpoing to be more difficult.

/ Wheel motors #19  
Bagtic,
I had the same problem and found that there is a fuse (15 or 20 Amp) That is in a clip on holder attached to a wire that runs on the bottom of the engine compartment to the engine. Check it to see if it is good and connected correctly. Mine was a good fuse but had lost connection because of vibration. I fixed it and my 425 started again very easily.

/ Wheel motors #20  
I finally decided to do something about the leaking wheel motor I've had for a couple months on the 1430.. I got an estimate from PT of about $110. to $120 plus shipping for them to repair. I'm going to do that, but first I'm having them send out a new one ( $496 ) so I can swap it out with little down time. Also, I don't have a nice clean storage area for the tractor, so I don't really want to leave it all apart for a week or two. And with about 700 hours on the PT now, it's not a bad idea to have a spare motor on the shelf.