Wheel motors

/ Wheel motors #1  

ddonnell

Silver Member
Are the wheel motors on a new 425 comparable in durability to traditional axles like on my CUT? Motor issues seem to be discussed here some, and a little insight into potential problems, maintainence routines, and any other tidbits would be appreciated. My hydraulic experience is limited to using my loader and 3pt., and this unique hydraulic drivetrain design would be a new experience. Are these motors essentially sealed devices that don't require routine lubrication etc., and if one pukes do you simply replace it? Are they expensive to replace? Thanks.

/ Wheel motors #2  
ddonnell said:
Are the wheel motors on a new 425 comparable in durability to traditional axles like on my CUT? Motor issues seem to be discussed here some, and a little insight into potential problems, maintainence routines, and any other tidbits would be appreciated. My hydraulic experience is limited to using my loader and 3pt., and this unique hydraulic drivetrain design would be a new experience. Are these motors essentially sealed devices that don't require routine lubrication etc., and if one pukes do you simply replace it? Are they expensive to replace? Thanks.

Nothing last forever, but if you keep the hydraulic fluid clean and use the correct type, it will give a reasonably life expectancy. Hydraulic fluid lubes the motor. It is built in several parts, and has moving pieces. Hydraulic fluid under pressure caused the motor to rotate. Hydraulic motors usually fail because of wear and tear caused by debris is the system. Pieces of metal, o-rings, and very fine particles. The filter on the PT, filters particles greater than 10 microns, and it's the particles smaller than the filter design that slowly grind away at the internal workings of the motor. The motors can easily be repaired, by your self or a hydraulic shop. You can also replace it with a new one, how ever, they are not cheap. Usually in the $400 to $600 range. It mostly depends on your mechanical capabilities, The hydraulic motors usually last a long time except for some of the problems noted above. I am sure every one would like larger motors, but the pump is matched to the motors and the rest of the system. The operation of the hydraulic motor is simple. fluid is forced into the motor, and it starts turning in response to the pump speed and a control lever. It has variable speed and is reversible. The motors used by PT use regular automotive oil, instead of tractor hydraulicfluid. Some people use synthetic 10W-40. The reason is that oil like 10W-40 can be found just about anywhere, and has qualities similar to hydraulic fluid.

/ Wheel motors
J.J.

When you speak of repairing the motors yourself, are we talking bearings, seals, cups, and stuff like that? Would you think the motors could or should go 1000 hrs. before an overhaul if properly maintained?

Also, with all this hydraulic fluid flying all over, are little leaks fairly commonplace? Thanks.
Dave

/ Wheel motors #4  
ddonnell said:
J.J.

When you speak of repairing the motors yourself, are we talking bearings, seals, cups, and stuff like that? Would you think the motors could or should go 1000 hrs. before an overhaul if properly maintained?

Also, with all this hydraulic fluid flying all over, are little leaks fairly commonplace? Thanks.
Dave

Yes, all the above. About hydraulic leaks . Even new equipment will leak. If it is just fittings, just re tighten. If you blow a seal from over working replace the seal. If a hose wears through, replace it. Some people go years with out any leaks. Sometimes you will get into a situation called hydraulic lock, when you can't plug your hoses in. You just have to release the pressure. If you read this forum, you will find just about any fix for the PT. Most of them have been there and done it. I believe this forum is much better than a factory manual.

/ Wheel motors #5  
Dave,

I have 560 hours on my PT-422. I have had no problems with wheel motors. The motors are sealed units and require no routine maintenace. The only hydraulic problem I had was a leaking steering valve seal and I replaced it. I had electrical problems that caused the PTO solenoid to not operate. I did replace the seal on my roto-tiller motor now that I think about it. I use my roto-tiller on my beach in the sand and water and rocks.

Watching the PT comments for the past several years has not indicated, to me, a particular weakness or problem common to all owners. I have had a few problems in areas I have not seen listed by others and others have had problems that I have not had.

It is frustrating the first couple of times it breaks. With help from the terrific members on this board and PT's Tazewell help it isn't hard to get the machine running again. In the future I intend to utilize Tazewell for more hydraulic seal replacements and similar problems. I used my local hydraulic guy for my roto-tiller seal problem and he was slow and expensive.

Hope this helps.

Merry Christmas

Dale

/ Wheel motors
Dale,

Does Power Trac suggest routine seal replacements at certain intervals, or is it more of "wait for something to leak/go wrong"? I'm pretty good at routine maintainence with my CUT and would try to follow manufacturer's guidelines if there are any. I guess the real question here is what is routine maintainence for a PT? I would hope it wouldn't involve a whole lot more than my tractor. Unfortunately, dicussions about machines on any forum, not just PT, sometimes focus (and understandably so) on what went wrong as versus what goes right. I am all but sold on switching from CUT to PT but I really don't need extra maintainence hassles if you know what I mean.

Thanks for the reply and Merry Christmas to you and yours too.

Dave

/ Wheel motors #7  
The sealed wheel motors mentioned above, are not really sealed. They can be taken apart for bearing and seal replacement. This is something that you do not take apart or fool with unless it leaks somewhere. If it aient broke don't fix it. A regular grease job on certain parts are required on routine maintenance.
If your tires give you any trouble, just add slime or put a tube in.

/ Wheel motors
Thanks J.J. and Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

/ Wheel motors #9  
JJ...where can you get a double valve stem tube? I have a wheel that constantly leaks and requires air every 4 days or so...have had the tire off, rim cleaned but still leaks. I would rather tube it then slime it though.

/ Wheel motors #10  
I tubed one of my tires. I just had them leave the inside valve stem in place for a plug and run the tub'es valve stem out the outside hole. I never add air through the inside valve stem anyway. ;)