Snow Tire Chains on PT-425 for Snow Plowing

/ Tire Chains on PT-425 for Snow Plowing #1  

catsco

Silver Member
Tractor
PT425
During the last 3 weeks, we've had a total of nearly nine feet of snow. This is quite a record, even for here in the foothills of Colorado.

Previously, I've had moderate difficulty in plowing with my 425 and the 5' blade. I've put a rubber lip made from tire tread on it, and it does quite well on our gravel driveway.

The problem has always been the 8-10% grade of most of the driveway. Usually, I work my way up the hill to the road through deep snow, or plow a few inches and push to the side until I get there. Plowing downhill on a grade like this is easy as long as I don't get into a place on the ditch side where I have to back up.

BUT, with all this snow (most of which came after freezing rain that created about 2" of ice first), it took a long time to do that, since I could barely move the 425 up the hill even after part of it was cleared.

That means it took about 18 hours total (first for 48", then for 36", then for 18", then another 12" or so) to be able to clear the 600' long drive. About 6 hours of that was with the front end loader pushing huge amounts of snow over the downhill side. I did learn to be careful after I realized that I was clearing a 15' wide swath on our 12' wide road; I was a few feet over the edge on the piled up snow!

About 1/3 of that time was struggling to get up the hill, even with only a few inches of snow or no snow after plowing.

I then ordered tire chains from tirechains.com:

23X10.50X12

I bought the 4 link (one cross chain every four links) V bar chains for all four wheels, as well as the tensioners.

What a difference!

I can now plow UP the hill in a few inches of snow on the ice, and 'crabbing' when pushing a lot of snow is not a problem.

The chains fit well, with about 1/2" clearance between the chain and the tractor frame.

The only downside is that the ride is very rough as the V bars on the crosslinks simulate driving over 3/4" ridges every 10" or so.

The V bars are NOT recommended for pavement, as they will damage it. Our driveway and the main road are both dirt, so that's not a problem.

Now, I can stall the engine when pushing any amount of snow instead of spinning the wheels.

Hopefully, this purchase will stop all snow in our area for several years.

Regards,
Mark H.

/ Tire Chains on PT-425 for Snow Plowing #2  
Mark, I'm hoping all that white never finds it's way to my dirt drive!! This is the 1st year that I was totally ready for snow by October and we have hardly seen a flake! I've been considering chains for my PT just for better traction in the snow/ice...although I do all my plowing in heated comfort of my F-250.

/ Tire Chains on PT-425 for Snow Plowing #3  
Mark, Thanks for the report, very helpful. I am amazed that the 425 could handle this level of snow, with or without chains. Do you have any idea if the chains would help on mud?
Did you actually plow 3 feet of snow at one time?

/ Tire Chains on PT-425 for Snow Plowing #4  
We want pictures of all that snow. We have had a total of 4" this season... pathetic. :rolleyes:

/ Tire Chains on PT-425 for Snow Plowing #5  
You sure have had the snow. I live in Montana which one normally considers a snow belt. The past few years have been less than normal. When plowing a foot or more of snow the 425 does a great job. For the berms of 3 feet or more i normally put on the bucket and start piling. I have a flat surface and black top which makes a major difference. The snow condition (dry/wet) plays a big part also.
I think your situation no matter what type of CUT would need chains.
Thanks for the update and like Mossroad would like to see pictures.
PJ

/ Tire Chains on PT-425 for Snow Plowing #6  
I've got the same chains and they do make a huge difference. You get used to the ride.

And MR you think 4" is pathetic...we've had none yet. Nothing. I haven't even put the chains on yet this year.

Attachments

• 0780.jpg
    0780.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 346
   / Tire Chains on PT-425 for Snow Plowing #7  
jfh28 said:
I've got the same chains and they do make a huge difference. You get used to the ride.

I bought a pair of Gempler's #68524 "Diamond Pattern" studded ATV chains and mounted them on the front wheels of my 1845 and have found that's all I need. I thought it might need another pair on the back but it works great with them just on the front.

And no bouncy ride with the Diamond Pattern chains either :)

There are a couple pictures of them mounted on my 1845 at my web site.

http://www.coxontool.com/index.php/PowerTrac/Upgrades

jfh28 said:
And MR you think 4" is pathetic...we've had none yet. Nothing. I haven't even put the chains on yet this year.

Ha! Nothing here in eastern upstate NY either - not even an inch yet. Crazy.

Sedgewood

/ Tire Chains on PT-425 for Snow Plowing
BobRip said:
Mark, Thanks for the report, very helpful. I am amazed that the 425 could handle this level of snow, with or without chains. Do you have any idea if the chains would help on mud?
Did you actually plow 3 feet of snow at one time?

The most snow I can move at one time with the plow is about 18"-20". Even that involves pushing a huge pile to the edge every 40 feet or so.

Usually I skim 12"-18" per pass, then, if the plow can no longer push it, the front end loader is used to pile it up to about 6'-8' at the edge of our 1:1 slope on the downhill side of the drive, and hopefully, over the edge.

Otherwise, it's a LOT of bucket work.

/ Tire Chains on PT-425 for Snow Plowing
Here are some pictures at the 3' level during the first storm. The add'l. 6' came in three more snowfalls within three days of each other.

The pictures are:

1 - Our car; you can see a bit of the antenna
2 - Our antique motorhome, which is where we live while building a house.
3 - The house after about 4' of snow

Mark H.

Attachments

• Car.JPG
    Car.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 328
  • Motorhome.JPG
    Motorhome.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 367
  • MVC-549X.JPG
    MVC-549X.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 302
   / Tire Chains on PT-425 for Snow Plowing #10  
Wow, great photos. Now I remember why I moved south from western Pennsylvania! We often used tire chains for an old cub-cadet while blowing snow. The increased traction was dramatic. ... Question: Did you put chains on all four wheels? ... or just two?

Thanks again for the thread.