Bro-Tek Thumb

/ Bro-Tek Thumb #1  

farm23

Silver Member
Tractor
PT-1430, Wright Z-turn mower, BCS 853
On the "Thumb for mini hoe" thread the Bro-Tek thumb was mentioned and I have purchased one. The Bro-Tek was developed for use on conventional CUT with a top link. I actually purchase the top link from Bro-Tek because the closest Farm Supply is some 30 miles away. The thumb works as expected and was very easy to install. Many of you have made your own but I did not have the time or skill. I would reccommend the product. An advantage is with the top link you have infinite adjustment of the opening between the thumg and bucket.

Here are some pics.

Attachments

• Moving Fire Log.JPG
    Moving Fire Log.JPG
    378.9 KB · Views: 1,607
  • Bucket & Thumb.JPG
    Bucket & Thumb.JPG
    388.1 KB · Views: 1,912
  • Thumb Closed & Bucket Closed.JPG
    Thumb Closed & Bucket Closed.JPG
    400.8 KB · Views: 1,288
  • Thumb Closed.JPG
    Thumb Closed.JPG
    309 KB · Views: 1,179
   / Bro-Tek Thumb #3  
Farm23, where did you buy the bro-tek thumb.

/ Bro-Tek Thumb #4  
That adjustable top-link is a great idea! And, those are some great "clean pictures" -- show us some dirty ones! :)

Seriously, please report back once you've used it a while...

I personally consider the thumb the "most return on investment" of any money I've spent on attachments...

It simply adds a totally new dimension to the tool. It is SO much more precise to pick things up and move them, in comparison to the grapple bucket, plus you can reach higher, farther, etc.

For example, it makes a great tool for clearing out overgrown fencerows...

/ Bro-Tek Thumb #5  
That look very nice. It is a very simple design and light weight. I wish I had seen it before I built mine. I might try the adjustable link. I have one somewhere.

/ Bro-Tek Thumb #6  
I saw a thumb with a hydraulic cylinder instead of a fixed or adjustable link on it. What would be the advantage to that?

/ Bro-Tek Thumb
Regl, I saw the thumb on the "Attachment" site of Tractorbynet and sent a email to "bro-tek@hotmail.com. Richard @ Bro-Tek answered immediately and I sent him a pic with a ruler so he could make sure everything would fit.

The thumb has proven very useful in picking up rocks out of my creek and moving large logs. I use all the attachment I own and my favorite is the one on when I am using the tractor.

I'll send pics on another thread about a 2" hitch I have on the rear.

/ Bro-Tek Thumb
The hydraulic cylinder would allow you to move the thumb from your seat, but it would require you to add a valve and piping.

/ Bro-Tek Thumb #9  
ddonnell said:
I saw a thumb with a hydraulic cylinder instead of a fixed or adjustable link on it. What would be the advantage to that?

It would allow both the thumb and the bucket to move, when you were grasping things to pick them up.

Look at your hand, for an illustration. Pick something up while trying not to move your thumb. With a fixed thumb, only the fingers (the bucket) can move to grasp things against the thumb. Now, pick it up again, moving both thumb and fingers...

With a fixed thumb, you tend to position the thumb as closely as possible to the object, then curl the bucket to pull the object up tight against the thumb, then lift it... If both the thumb and bucket would move, you could precisely "pluck something up" without dragging it on the ground (using the bucket) toward the thumb...

/ Bro-Tek Thumb #10  
That looks great farm23!!

Can you share with us what it cost?

Phil