PT AL-629 ( can it be done ? )

/ PT AL-629 ( can it be done ? ) #1  

Beechwood

Silver Member
Well winter is setting in and my mad scientist mode is kicking in again, so I'm tossing this idea into the pt frying pan for some feedback.

IDEA:
Turn a 180, 422, or 425 into a 6 wheel drive ( configured like a GATOR 6x4 ) by extending the tub approx 20" and re-powering the PT with a 29 HP Kawasaki water cooled fuel injected engine and adding two more wheel motors the same size as the OEM motors on the 180, 422 or 425.

If I use the PT HUNT VEE as an example- the engine is a 25 HP powering 6 wheel motors. If the HUNT VEE only had 4 wheel drive instead 6 do you think the pushing and pulling power would be that much less ? I know the Hunt Vee is a skid steer configuration but I'm only thinking about - and interested in the added available power with 6 wheel drive instead of 4 wheel drive. You could then build a larger carry all and relocate the gas tank to take full advantage of the bed area. I've been scratching my head on this for a while. I hope this can of worms will generate some lively winter conversation.

Last edited:
   / PT AL-629 ( can it be done ? ) #2  
If you're gonna play mad scientist, picture it with rubber tracks over the 4 rear wheels -- i.e. an articulated half-track... :D

/ PT AL-629 ( can it be done ? )
an articulated half track !!!! I'm liking it already :cool:

/ PT AL-629 ( can it be done ? ) #5  
These probably aren't strong enough (being designed for ATVs) but should give you some ideas...

a_M3_single.jpg

Introducing new LiteFoot M3 and M3 Ultra-Ride rubber track tread

These wouldn't even require the second set of wheels...

KentT said:
These probably aren't strong enough (being designed for ATVs) but should give you some ideas...

a_M3_single.jpg

Introducing new LiteFoot M3 and M3 Ultra-Ride rubber track tread

These wouldn't even require the second set of wheels...

According to their web site I would lose 25-30% top end speed because of the gear reduction- so if the top speed for my 180 is 7 mph. that wouldn't work out to well plus the increased ground clearance might be a safety issue.

/ PT AL-629 ( can it be done ? ) #7  
That loss was for a higher-RPM, higher-speed application on an ATV. Not sure you'd lose as much on a low-speed application. Also, usually when you lose top-end speed, you're trading it for low-end torque...

But, the challenge would be trying to sychronize the track speed with the speed of the front wheels...

/ PT AL-629 ( can it be done ? ) #8  
I think you would get more turf damage. The back 4 wheels would turn like a skidsteer. I like the big wheel 425 better. It might look like a WWII German Half Track, a little. You would also have to change the plumbing of the hoses considerable. If you continue to put the wheel motor in series, the wheel torque would drop. Probably need a bigger hydraulic pump for the wheel motors and a valve to switch between parallel and series plumbing for the wheel motors. Sorry to be so critical.

Woodlandfarms, Did you mean to say 3K Uninstalled ? I hope so.

Kent and Bob, you both bring up some good points, I don't know how much turf damage the 4 rear wheels would cause, Because of the pt being articulated it might not be too bad. Adding two more motors hooked up in series might be a problem but that's why I started this thread to get some honest feedback & knowledge - positive or negitive. If the idea is feasible it needs to be a simple straight forward modification. What other problems would there be doing this type of modification???.