Grading PT180 Plowing, Grading and Climing

/ PT180 Plowing, Grading and Climing #1  

Chuckanut

Bronze Member
Tractor
B7100HSD w/ B1630C loader
Hi, I am new to these forums so please give me a little slack if I do not know something. I have been lurking around the Power Trac forums a little while now. I have been trying to gauge the Power Trac abilities in general. I found the Power Trac by accident surfing the net looking for tractor information. Right away, I was intrigued with its designed and hydraulic PTO.:D I have already read lots of information about the PT on this forum and I would like to say, Thank you for all the information. It helps me understand the PT abilities and issues.

I am looking at the PT-180 (maybe PT 422). Why, because I will never use the PT for any commercial use ever and I do not want to put $10,000 into a land maintenance machine that will get used once or twice a month. I have also been looking at traditional CUT's But I find them very limited in usefulness compared to the PT.

My 5 acres is Hilly, generally wet (it's Western Washington), Thick with brush, rocky/sandy soil under a layer of rich black dirt. We get snow once or twice a year and it stay for about 1 week. My house I 1/2 mile from paved road.

I will be Plowing snow to the paved road, Brush mowing, Grading 2 driveways, moving dirt, Firewood logging, and general landscape.

I have read that the PT is a "Tool carrier" and does "not do well at pushing, pulling, or dragging" which made me question its ability to Box blade or Plow / grade. I have also read that the PT does not do well on hills. BUT the web sites show the PT grading. So lets get to the question. Does the PT Just slow while grading or does it stop if the load gets to much to heavy? And the same with hill climing?

/ PT180 Plowing, Grading and Climing #2  
Chuckanut said:
Hi, I am new to these forums so please give me a little slack if I do not know something. I have been lurking around the Power Trac forums a little while now. I have been trying to gauge the Power Trac abilities in general. I found the Power Trac by accident surfing the net looking for tractor information. Right away, I was intrigued with its designed and hydraulic PTO.:D I have already read lots of information about the PT on this forum and I would like to say, Thank you for all the information. It helps me understand the PT abilities and issues.

I am looking at the PT-180 (maybe PT 422). Why, because I will never use the PT for any commercial use ever and I do not want to put $10,000 into a land maintenance machine that will get used once or twice a month. I have also been looking at traditional CUT's But I find them very limited in usefulness compared to the PT.

My 5 acres is Hilly, generally wet (it's Western Washington), Thick with brush, rocky/sandy soil under a layer of rich black dirt. We get snow once or twice a year and it stay for about 1 week. My house I 1/2 mile from paved road.

I will be Plowing snow to the paved road, Brush mowing, Grading 2 driveways, moving dirt, Firewood logging, and general landscape.

I have read that the PT is a "Tool carrier" and does "not do well at pushing, pulling, or dragging" which made me question its ability to Box blade or Plow / grade. I have also read that the PT does not do well on hills. BUT the web sites show the PT grading. So lets get to the question. Does the PT Just slow while grading or does it stop if the load gets to much to heavy? And the same with hill climing?
The 180 is a Great Little Machine. Having one myself if it were me, with the terrain and uses you describe. Also depending on how steep your hills are. I would at least go with a 425 or higher.

If nothing else for the higher torque wheel motors and better cooling system. I’m sure you would find a few other advantages also. If money is a major concern. I’m sure a 422 could get er done. Just my 2 cents, opinions may very.

/ PT180 Plowing, Grading and Climing #3  
Welcome and don't be reluctant to ask anything!

I find that my box blade on a 422 does a terrific job of grading and maintaining my gravel driveway and also smoothing places I've removed boulders or stumps. One caveat: ya gotta do it driving backwards.

The PT "pulls" well IMHO. It doesn't "push" very well. The plow may work for snow but I doubt it'd work well for driveways. The boxblade does just fine tho.

The most significant difference between the 180 and the 422 is the quick-attach mechanism and the ease with which attachments can be switched without even getting off the tractor.

More power and more powerful hydraulics is a side benefit.

And others will add to your thread.

Phil

/ PT180 Plowing, Grading and Climing #5  
As previously said it depends on the grades you will be working on...there are hills and then there are HILLS! I tend to run low on power when trying to climb a hill going forward and with the PTO switched on(finish mower). I have had very few problems if going in reverse up a hill...PTO on or not.

Now, wet conditions tend to be a bit tricky to maintain traction on a hill but again going in reverse has worked in these situations as well for me. Can't speak to the plowing part since I prefer the heated cab of the F-250 to plow our 1/2 mile drive.

/ PT180 Plowing, Grading and Climing #6  
I use the plow for snow on our drive and except for this last snow/ice mess have been very satisfied with the performance. I can easily move a 12" storm and this includes going up one fairly steep section of our drive. I'm in the East so steep to me may not mean steep to someone from the West. I do recommend adding chains to one set of tires to prevent crabbing. I also added a rubber strip to the blade to add a little give. This summer I will add shoes.

The plow is fine for grading loose gravel. Our drive is more hardpack and I get much better results tipping the lmb forward and backdragging. I find that I switch back and forth between the plow and the lmb depending on what I am trying to accomplish.

Jack

/ PT180 Plowing, Grading and Climing
Thank you for you greetings.:)

Ok, that is what I am looking for. I wanted to know that the PT will slow a bit under load but does not stop and it can plow/grade and clime as well as other CUTS (Like kubota BX and NH).

After reading some of the posts here I had concluded before that the PT 425 would be the best for me here, however the price makes me consider other options. Well back to working and saving pennys.

/ PT180 Plowing, Grading and Climing #8  
i have a 422,it will take a full bucket of 2a mod. stone up a very steep hill.now i can't say about the other ones the only have a bucket half as big as the 10 cubic ft.bucket on the pt.with the mower it does average..........jim

/ PT180 Plowing, Grading and Climing #9  
johara1 said:
i have a 422,it will take a full bucket of 2a mod. stone up a very steep hill.now i can't say about the other ones the only have a bucket half as big as the 10 cubic ft.bucket on the pt.with the mower it does average..........jim

Jim, was this before the new wheel motors?
Bill

/ PT180 Plowing, Grading and Climing #10  
that was before, now it should be a real trip.........jim