new mod.

/ new mod. #21  
johara1 said:
J.J.,they are 18.2 ci. yes i said they lost a little top end,and i raised the rpm. of the engine but i didn't to it was fast enough for me. they are 340 each with the case drain.........jim

Jim, You may have already done this when you were shopping for hyd motors. If you want a 100% increase, you would look for a hyd motors that has an increase of say 1500 in pounds to a motor that has a rating of 3000 in pounds. A 50% increase would be around 2250 in pounds. To compute the new speed, you have to know the max rpm of the new hyd motors, how much distance the tire travels per minutes, and convert that to mph.

/ new mod.
i think if you read a little more you will find that a case drain is required if the pressure is over 1500 lb........jim

/ new mod. #23  
johara1 said:
i think if you read a little more you will find that a case drain is required if the pressure is over 1500 lb........jim
That may be a general rule of thumb, but my mower has a case drain where the tiller and auger do not. They all run on the same PTO on the 1845. The motors run at three different speeds, which may also be a factor in deciding which ones have case drains.

Last edited:
   / new mod. #24  
johara1 said:

I have to disagree with you on that.

Case Drain Port - Allows use of piston pumps and motors with low pressure case drains.

A case drain is also effective in transferring heat from the motor. I think the case drains from the Pt's that have them, pass through the cooler before going to the tank.

Some say that it is possible to determine the percentage of loss on the motor by the amount of fluid coming out of the case drains. I think you would have to know what the flow was when it was first started, and then compare the original flow with the current flow. Sounds plausible to me.

/ new mod. #25  
Johara1,

I am surprised that your PT422 wheel motors has case drains. Mine does not, it uses the white RS series motors. None of my attachments hydraulic motors have case drains either. I've wondered what is the advantage of a case drain, heat removal?

The Char-Lynn motors do look to be 0.54" greater in diameter which you indicated that you took care of by grinding. Some pictures would be great.

/ new mod.
JJ,you can disagree with me, but i feel the charr- lynn factory has the facts you can't dispute.you can even read it on the web site.i worked with morgantown machine&hyd.(the national DIS. for parker) and charr- lynn to find what i wanted.i don't make a statment that isn't backed up by facts.
call the co. and see,also the square back motors used on the older 422 and 425 don't use case drains.if you went my way you would have to add them.i wanted to go with a parker wheel motor but they had no direct replacement so the next move was eaton which had the correct mount.i used the same hub too....jim

/ new mod. #27  
duane said:
Johara1,

I am surprised that your PT422 wheel motors has case drains. Mine does not, it uses the white RS series motors. None of my attachments hydraulic motors have case drains either. I've wondered what is the advantage of a case drain, heat removal?

The Char-Lynn motors do look to be 0.54" greater in diameter which you indicated that you took care of by grinding. Some pictures would be great.

I called Eaton to ask about case drains. It relieves case pressure and is recommended if you put motors in series (like the PT does). The service guy did not push this hard as I told him that I did not have case drains now. He asked if I was having problems and I said no. The only difference between the case drain model and the no case drain is the case drain hole.

/ new mod.
case drains do many things(1)take any metal out of the motor without going through the rest.(2)cooling effect.(3)they are required on wheelmotors above 1500.also you gain a test port to know the condition of them.
the wheelmotors pt. uses are gerotor type, the s series are geroler,this have a lot more low end torque and start up torque........jim

/ new mod.
i just cut grass for the first time with the new wheel motors.it would cut up a 3 to 1 slope and i didn't even have it wide open. what a improvement! more later,........jim

/ new mod. #30  
I've been researching these Char-Lynn S-series motors a bit more, and I'm a bit confused. It seems they only come with 1" splined or 7/8" or 1" straight shafts with a woodruff key -- and no lock nut.

I'd have sworn my wheel motors on my Dec 2000 model 425 have 1.25" tapered shafts with a woodruff key, and a locknut. I'm fairly certain they have a locknut on the wheel hub. Since my PT is in Tennessee and I'm in Mass -- I can't easily confirm that they're 1.25". They certainly have the "serrated type" locknuts, as you can see in this photo.

Flickr Photo Download: IMG_0089

I thought mine came with White 400 series wheel motors also...

Maybe I should try calling Terry to see if he can/will tell me....