Do I need a SMV Sign

/ Do I need a SMV Sign #1  

woodlandfarms

Tractor
PowerTrac 1850, Kubota RTV x900
I think I have to check with Washington DOT, but do I need to slap on the orange triangle if the tractor allready has the strobe on the hood? I doubt this tractor will ever see an paved road but have to ask...

/ Do I need a SMV Sign #2  
This is probably a state by state issue so you might want to check your individual state laws. However, I live on the border of 2 states and both Indiana and Illinios have very similar laws.

If a tractor is on a public roadway (gravel, or paved) then it must have its lights on and it must have a SMV sign properly mounted on the rear. There are 2 different standards for SMV signs, if you decide you need one, then you might want to buy the more reflective version (ASAE standard S276.5) which is the newer standard and (I believe) accepted by all states while the older less reflective version (ASAE standard S276.4) is still accepted by most states it appears to being slowly phased out. For the extra $2 difference in price, I'd get the higher standard.

If you only operate on your property you don't need one if you don't drive down the roadway.

I have several of them, but I will also admit that sometimes I drive down the road (usually not more than a 200', but occasionally a mile or so) without one depending on which tractor I happen to be on and what is mounted on the tractor at the time. I do always use my lights when on the road, day or night.

/ Do I need a SMV Sign #3  
I don't know if it is PA law or not but all of our equipment at work have strobes and the SMV signs. On my own tractor I just had the SMV and the 4-way flashers on when I needed to run along the road.

/ Do I need a SMV Sign #4  
What do the different state laws say about people that use the SMV sign to mark their driveway or mailbox?

/ Do I need a SMV Sign #5  
dirtworksequip said:
What do the different state laws say about people that use the SMV sign to mark their driveway or mailbox?

It is my understanding that under DOT regulations all of those are illegal. Unfortunately no state that I know of enforces the law.