PT 180?

/ PT 180? #1  

sawdust_maker

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ventrac 3000
Hi, I'm new around these parts. I was hoping that you might be able to give me some guidance.

We are in the market for a tractor. Right now its down to a PT 180 and a Ventrac 3000. I've got a cub cadet that generally serves its purpose, but I've found it to fall short on a couple of tasks. I need a tractor that can:

- Mow about 2/3 acre of grass. There are several places where we have a 30% grade to mow, dropping about 20 feet in total.

- Plow snow. Our (gravel) driveway is not huge, about 150 feet long, but it is windy up here in the winter on Lake Ontario, so I leave the walk behind blower inside most of the time. I also plow up to 1/2 mile of our dirt road up to several times a week. Since there are only a few year 'round people on the road, whoever wants to get out will plow it.

- Move gravel. This year the water is high, which caused some shoreline erosion on our beach. I need to bring down a few (probably over 5) cubic yards of pea gravel to replace what washed away. Last summer I shoveled 5 yards of stone into and then out of my trailer. Some of that stone was larger stone to maintain a breakwall, but we do wish to maintain a beach area. Its one of the few places on our bay where turtles can lay eggs so I also bring in some sand.

- Road maintenance. This is mainly moving around gravel to fill potholes. But we have sometimes brought in truckloads of fill to spread.

- Regrade the driveway. Our gravel drive has gradually become mostly a dirt driveway. We have often talked about peeling up the top inch or so and lay down fresh crushed stone. I've even got a place to lay down the removed material under where we store the boat for the winter.

The cubbie can do some of these tasks, mainly mowing and plowing snow, but last year I moved enough stone by hand to get tendonitis in one arm. I also find it tends to tear up the lawn when mowing from wheel scrub (an irritant.) And since it takes me a 1/2 hour of cursing to swap out the mower deck to put on the plow, I tend not to do this during the summer when I'd like to do road mainenance. (There are some issues of poor design that I have with cub cadet.) Finally, 4WD will be a real plus in plowing, plus climbing our hills will be greatly improved when I need to transport all that stone.

I don't have any need for much more than a slip scoop, a plow, and a mower, and I've never yet found a reason to lift anything above what a slip scoop could handle. One nice thing about the versatility of these machines is they are extended by the implements you can add. This seems especially a virtue of the PT. When I got the cubbie, I never thought about needing to move much gravel around. But we had not had a high water year yet then.

It looks like a Ventrac 3000 or a PT 180 could handle these tasks. I think the Ventrak might be better for mowing? I'm not sure I can convince my wife to go for a 50% premium for the Ventrac. On the other hand, I like the fact that there is a Ventrac dealer (although 60 miles away) that can fix a problem that I can't handle, something I can't say about a PT. I'm reasonably handy with tools, but I won't touch a carb. I've also never worked on hydraulics. Another issue is the PT is bigger than the Ventrac, and we will store these tools in the garage.

Other options I've discarded: Renting a skidloader when I need it is not a good option, as I'd probably want it several times a year. This would pay for the tractor. And I don't know if a Johnny bucket would even go on our little cubbie, but since I don't want to pull the mower deck off to put the plow on every time I need it, I'd doubt its a good option for me. Finally, there is also Steiner, but the word I've heard is they are expensive, plus they seem to spend more time in the shop than I'd want.

Thanks for any help you can offer.
John

/ PT 180? #2  
Welcome to the forum! I can only speak to the 422 which I understand to be very similar in capabilities to the 180 but without the oil cooler, quick attach and slightly less HP. The PT should be able to handle the mowing(has a decent cut and will not scuff up your lawn), spreading and any loading tasks fairly well. I have not yet tried to dig up or grade a long drive way so others will have to chime in on that. There are several posts here on how to handle grades when mowing, mainly you either mow the grades first while the oil is still thick or go up them backwards. IMHO the PT offers much more versatitlity for the buck than the Ventrac. I too am OK with tools and mechanical ability and have been able to service the PT just fine to date. I know next to nothing about hydraulics but it would seem fairly straight forward if it's only needing to replace a hose.

/ PT 180? #3  
Sorry for the late response. I haven't been on the forums much at all this winter.

I have a PT180 here in NE Ohio. I don't know much about the Ventrac so can't do any comparison work but I'll tell you my experiences with the PT180.

Here's what I have: PT-180, 7 cu ft light material bucket, 45" single blade mower, 42" Tiller.

I regularly mow 2 acres with the single blade mower and it does a good job. I am no golf course manager and I'm sure to some the quality of cut doesn't compare between this and other equipment but I honestly don't think I could tell the difference. I chose the single blade deck because I was told it was better for the smaller 18 HP unit since you do not have the power loss at the blade that is associated with indirect belt driven decks.

I plow my gravel drive with the unit as well. I don't have the blade so I use the bucket to move snow. My drive is about 230' with about a 30' x 25' area at the end. It does a great job. I would like to have the blade for this but the bucket has it's advantages as well. Generally I will "plow" forward picking up snow in the bucket until it fills then continue to push a load in front of the bucket until I am at the end or until I am trying to push too much weight (tires begin to spin) then I lift the bucket and dump to the side. Chains would help me push more before stopping and the angled blade I am guessing would "dump" to the side without me having to stop much at all.

Moving material... You'll be amazed how quickly these machines can move material! I've have moved tons (literally) of slag, fill dirt, top soil and mulch. These machines are quick and nimble and even with the smaller bucket size and lifting power of the 180 I have not seen any equipment nearby that can match it for speed.

As for road maintenance and regrading, all I can say is I wish I bought a box blade. I feel comfortable saying I think it would do an excellant job but since I do not own it this is just speculation.

Just to clarify, you mentioned a 30% grade. Since there is sometimes confusion between grade and percent I wanted to clarify. A 30% grade would be approx. a drop of 1' per every 3'. This is much less than a 30 deg. slope. I mow 30% grade areas with the 180 with no problem at all.

All in all I couldn't be more happy with my purchase I doubt $7K spent on any other equipment would not have provided me near the total ROI.

One last thought... as far as service goes you should look up two things. One, the nearest Robin service center. This is who makes the engines on the 180. The second would be to look up a local places who do hydraulic work (could be a someone who sells agricultural tractors, or maybe someone who rebuilds hydraulic pumps). You'll be surprised at how simplistic these are built. VERY rugged but simple. Plus many parts are common so it's not like you need a Sears service center nearby to look compare Craftsman stearing linkages before purchasing one.

Thanks and good luck shopping!
Bill