this work for hydro filter on 422/425?

/ this work for hydro filter on 422/425? #1  

cqaigy2

Tractor
PT 422
   / this work for hydro filter on 422/425? #2  
I don't see why not, as long as you keep it serviced so it doesn't build up pressure in the return lines. You'd need to step it down to 1/2" fittings, though.

It's too bad we can't use filters on the intake side of the pumps, but they'd likely be too restrictive and potentially lead to pump cavititation when they started clogging -- i.e. they're dangerous to use.

We need some way to filter ALL the oil in the system on a frequent basis...

/ this work for hydro filter on 422/425? #3  
KentT said:
I don't see why not, as long as you keep it serviced so it doesn't build up pressure in the return lines. You'd need to step it down to 1/2" fittings, though.

It's too bad we can't use filters on the intake side of the pumps, but they'd likely be too restrictive and potentially lead to pump cavititation when they started clogging -- i.e. they're dangerous to use.

We need some way to filter ALL the oil in the system on a frequent basis...

Kent, I have mentioned this before in earlier post. External filtering is the way to go. It consist of a small 115v oil pump to suck the oil out of the hyd tank, filter it through a 10 micron filter, paralleled with a 1 micron filter. The output from the filter goes back to tank. I already have the parts to do this. I just need to put every thing together. I have an external 1/2 in outlet at the bottom of the hydraulic tank. This is where I will connect the input to the pump. The filtered output will empty into the the hydraulic tank. This system can be run on a daily or weekly setup. If you use a filter with a gage and bypass, you will know when to change out the filter. Pump volume will dictate time to filter the tank, or just run it through many cycles.

/ this work for hydro filter on 422/425? #4  
Thats the exact filter on the PT1850. I use Northern filters as rplacements for the hydros.

/ this work for hydro filter on 422/425?
J.J.

I like the idea of being able to filter all the fluid but, i don't understand why the two filters would be in parallel.

/ this work for hydro filter on 422/425? #7  
cqaigy2 said:
J.J.

I like the idea of being able to filter all the fluid but, i don't understand why the two filters would be in parallel.

The reason that you don't hook them is series, is that the 1 micron filter would slow down the oil flow.

I don't have an exact answer, but I will tell you what I know. I got the idea from the oil circuit on a 25 hp Dixie Chopper. The theory is that all oil is filtered with the regular oil filter, which I believe is a 10 micron filter. The 1 micron oil filter is used as a bypass filter, to filter out particles greater that 1 micron. The main filter is doing most of the work, but eventually, all the oil will pass through the 1 micron filter. Maybe you are thinking why not push all the oil through the 1 micron filter. I suspect that it will clog up real fast and prohibit any efficient oil filtering. I believe that it will work this way. Let's assume that the 115v pump can push 2 gal of oil through the 10 micron filter every minute. Let's say that the 1 micron will allow only .2 gal of oil per minute. My 1445 hydraulics tank holds 20 gal of hydraulic fluid, and therefore, The main filter at 10 microns, will filter the 20 gal every 10 minute, and 120 gal every 60 minutes. At the same time, the 1 micron filter is filtering .2 gal every minute, and 2 gal every 10 minutes, and in 1 hour, will filter 12 gal. To filter all the oil in a 20 gal tank, would take 600 minutes. There could be other arrangements, but this I know, when a 25 hp engine was taken apart for service, the crankcase was very clean, with hardly any sludge. That, in comparison with a regular filtered engine, you could scrape a quarter in of sludge from the bottom of the crankcase. It's only logical, and made a believer out of me. Most any one of you could build one of these super clean oil systems, and perhaps extend the life of you PT. The setup could be manual or automatic, with a timer.

/ this work for hydro filter on 422/425? #8  
While we are on the subject of filtering... My 1850 sat for a number of years, and is still flushing junk out (and clogging my filers).. I was wondering your guys thoughts on putting in a "engine - tranny flush" for an hour or so then dumping out the oil

And speaking of which, how do properly flush a hydraulic system?

/ this work for hydro filter on 422/425? #9  
Hi JJ,

I talked to Terry about adding an external pump/filter a couple of months ago and said I would add ports the next time I changed oil. Another option would be to add a bypass filter directly into the PT circuit or to put a filter on quick connect fittings and filter the fluid when you are using the tractor but not the PTO. Personally, I like the idea of using a "filter cart" like you are better than hooking one into the PTO line.

What are you using for a pump? I told Terry I am going to add a suction tube and a return port to the top cover of my hydraulic tank. That way, I can keep filings out of the tank when I am doing my drilling, etc.. Because of this, I would like a self priming pump capable of sucking up the oil. I could manually prime the pump and the quick attach fittings should keep the oil in the lines from then on but I fear I might continually run into problems.

I appreciate any advice you can give.

Ken

/ this work for hydro filter on 422/425? #10  
ksimolo said:
Hi JJ,

I talked to Terry about adding an external pump/filter a couple of months ago and said I would add ports the next time I changed oil. Another option would be to add a bypass filter directly into the PT circuit or to put a filter on quick connect fittings and filter the fluid when you are using the tractor but not the PTO. Personally, I like the idea of using a "filter cart" like you are better than hooking one into the PTO line.

What are you using for a pump? I told Terry I am going to add a suction tube and a return port to the top cover of my hydraulic tank. That way, I can keep filings out of the tank when I am doing my drilling, etc.. Because of this, I would like a self priming pump capable of sucking up the oil. I could manually prime the pump and the quick attach fittings should keep the oil in the lines from then on but I fear I might continually run into problems.

I appreciate any advice you can give.

Ken
I am going to use a pump like this. You can find this in 115v AC, or 12v DC.
If you are going to drill into your tank, insert one of those long flex magnetic pick-up tools to catch the drilling debris.

Attachments

• oil pump.jpg
    oil pump.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 157