New PT tucked away.

/ New PT tucked away. #1  

jbman

Tractor
PT425
Thanks to all the advice and the wealth of info on this forum, I took the plunge and now have a new 425 at the house. I want to thank you folks for the advice you gave me directly, and the information you have shared in the past that is now available in the archives here. My trip to Tazewell was enjoyable, a real nice group of people there that were willing to spend all the time I wanted showing me around the PT. I feel pretty good about doing business with these folks. Once I got into the demo, I decided on the 4 in1, the mini hoe, and the forks for now. I can see a stump grinder and the mower in the near future.

Thanks again, I'll keep reading and learning here.
Jim

/ New PT tucked away. #2  
Congratulations, but...

1worthless.gif

Or maybe...

millionaire0mw.jpg

Seriously, let us know what you think of it after you've put a few hours on it! :) I clearly remember the day I brought mine home -- and it wasn't a brand new one...

/ New PT tucked away.
Ok KentT - you pretty well cracked me up there with that one. Now, I am reasonably confident you all know just exactly what my 425 looks like.... let's see, it's green.. it's uhm, real solid.... and it turns kinda funny but real well...............

okeydoke, I'll get some pics! I'll have to see if I can get the brunette to take some that make me look like I know what I am doing on it. That won't be easy at this point.

Jim

/ New PT tucked away. #4  
jbman said:
Ok KentT - you pretty well cracked me up there with that one. Now, I am reasonably confident you all know just exactly what my 425 looks like.... let's see, it's green.. it's uhm, real solid.... and it turns kinda funny but real well...............

okeydoke, I'll get some pics! I'll have to see if I can get the brunette to take some that make me look like I know what I am doing on it. That won't be easy at this point.

Jim

LOL... :D

As you're probably figured out by now, take it easy until you get used to it. At first, the treadle appears too sensitive, the hydraulics too quick (especially the tilt function), and it just plain handles funny -- and perhaps turns too quickly.

I suggest you leave the throttle set at about 2/3 to 3/4 for a little while -- since you'll not be driving anything off the front PTO. This "slows it down" a bit and makes it easier to get used to. You'll be surprised at how quickly you become comfortable with it, and it becomes almost second-nature.

I also suggest you don't try maneuvering it into "tight spots" for a little while, until you get more used to it. It's pretty easy to articulate too much and hit something with one end of the tractor or another...

Welcome aboard -- you're in for a fun time! :D

/ New PT tucked away.
Thanks Kent - I appreciate and will carefully follow any advise offered.

Jim

KentT said:

As you're probably figured out by now, take it easy until you get used to it. At first, the treadle appears too sensitive, the hydraulics too quick (especially the tilt function), and it just plain handles funny -- and perhaps turns too quickly.

I suggest you leave the throttle set at about 2/3 to 3/4 for a little while -- since you'll not be driving anything off the front PTO. This "slows it down" a bit and makes it easier to get used to. You'll be surprised at how quickly you become comfortable with it, and it becomes almost second-nature.

I also suggest you don't try maneuvering it into "tight spots" for a little while, until you get more used to it. It's pretty easy to articulate too much and hit something with one end of the tractor or another...

Welcome aboard -- you're in for a fun time! :D

/ New PT tucked away. #6  
KentT said:

Or get wrapped around a tree. Somehow or other It took me 10 minutes to get around a tree I had wrapped myself around. Maybe the dualies are the issue, but now I pay more attention to it all.....

/ New PT tucked away. #7  
woodlandfarms said:
Or get wrapped around a tree. Somehow or other It took me 10 minutes to get around a tree I had wrapped myself around. Maybe the dualies are the issue, but now I pay more attention to it all.....

:) You're not the first person to do that, nor likely the last. I think Mike or someone posted pictures of getting his around a tree on a sideslope -- and had to cut the tree down if I remember correctly.

/ New PT tucked away. #8  
KentT said:
:) You're not the first person to do that, nor likely the last. I think Mike or someone posted pictures of getting his around a tree on a sideslope -- and had to cut the tree down if I remember correctly.

Ha! It didn't take me long to do that with my new 1845 - and cut the tree down - it must be one of the initiation rites. Later I learned you can do it with just the canopy if the hill is a steep one.

And then there's the PT pucker....

Sedgewood

/ New PT tucked away. #9  
JBMAN,
Congratulations on your purchase! :)

The rest of you,
You're making me laugh with those "rite of passage" stories!

Here's another one.... How many of you have repeatedly lifted the front tires off the ground over and over again while trying to carefully get the joystick into float instead of just shoving it past the stop like you should?

Up, down, up, down, up, down... :D:D:D

/ New PT tucked away. #10  
Congrats on the new PT! I'm sure you'll soon be added to the owners by state section. If you find the treadle too sensitive you might want to ask PT about the pair of springs they can send you to put under the treadles or look for the thread of the modisifaction that member fourteen did to his. I got the springs and after getting use to them I'm happy with them. I bring this up because when I first drove the PT around the property with the treadle around half way or so I noticed what seemed to be a bucking of the unit..soon realized it was my foot bouncing on the treadle! Hope you have fun breaking her in...I enjoy "working" every time I'm in the seat.