PT422 Aux cooling

/ PT422 Aux cooling #1  

Phils

Platinum Member
Tractor
PT-422
Ok, I've installed an electric fan to help cool the exhaust manifold and gas tank area. Hopefully this will finally and completely eliminate vaporlock problems, including running hot because of the lean condition. Might stop the "pop" or run-on when shutting down as both those problems are a consequence of the lean hot running condition.

I put a toggle switch with a condom on the rear of the engine cover/cage. On the dash would be more convenient but would necessitate a relay and much more wiring (as per Woodlandfarm's suggestion). This was easy and quick and has the shortest run to 12V at the starter solanoid. The fan is a Hayden 10" and fit perfectly. My cost was $70 for the fan, but with a fuseholder, switch, and switch condom the bill was about $80.

Also, although I have to dismount to turn it on or off, I'll only turn it on when it's a situation where I'll be working the machine hard for long periods with the PTO (mowing, stump grinding).

It'll be a few weeks until I will know if this solves the problems completely and will post in this thread when I feel the problem is solved completely.

Phil

Attachments

• PTcooling 006 (Small).jpg
    PTcooling 006 (Small).jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 402
   / PT422 Aux cooling #2  
Phils,

Nice job. Is it pushing or pulling air. I'm not sure what would be best. My only thought is that if you are pushing air in, will it tend to send the heat up into the hydraulic cooler?

Duane

/ PT422 Aux cooling #3  
Phils said:
Ok, I've installed an electric fan to help cool the exhaust manifold and gas tank area. Hopefully this will finally and completely eliminate vaporlock problems, including running hot because of the lean condition. Might stop the "pop" or run-on when shutting down as both those problems are a consequence of the lean hot running condition.

I put a toggle switch with a condom on the rear of the engine cover/cage. On the dash would be more convenient but would necessitate a relay and much more wiring (as per Woodlandfarm's suggestion). This was easy and quick and has the shortest run to 12V at the starter solanoid. The fan is a Hayden 10" and fit perfectly. My cost was $70 for the fan, but with a fuseholder, switch, and switch condom the bill was about $80.

Also, although I have to dismount to turn it on or off, I'll only turn it on when it's a situation where I'll be working the machine hard for long periods with the PTO (mowing, stump grinding).

It'll be a few weeks until I will know if this solves the problems completely and will post in this thread when I feel the problem is solved completely.

Phil
Good job, I'm very curious to see how this works out, since I want to do the same thing. Keep us posted on your finds.

/ PT422 Aux cooling #4  
Very slick installation, Phil. I haven't been on the forum much of late, and I am frustrated that you are still experiencing the vapor lock problem, despite all you have already done. Any additional airflow into that "hotbox" compartment should be a big help.

On Duane's question, I would think that the relative merits of air inflow vs. air exhaust might be a function of the unit airflow volume (CFM) of each of the two fans. For example, if the top fan, which blows air IN to cool the hydraulic radiator, has a higher CFM than the side fan, I would guess that it would not matter much which way the side fan moves air. Blowing in, it would blow across and out the opposite side. Exhausting, it would remove the hot air charge that has just passed over the hydraulic radiator. Now if the CFM of your side fan is greater than that of the top fan, I would think that having the side fan operating in exhaust mode would "assist" the top fan by sucking out the hot air charge. Blowing in, I could see where it might work against the efficiency of the top fan action. Some "artificial smoke' like dry ice chunk in water, might definitively tell you what's going on and which is the best flow direction for the side fan.

Please keep us posted.

/ PT422 Aux cooling #6  
I have been wandering about if you or your family was affected by the vt tragedy. Prayerfully not that was a bad thing. As you know it snowed the day I got the mower and I also had day surgery a few days later so I never got to try the mower out for a while but when I did I really liked it, even though I now don't have a flower left in the yard got to do some replanting. Just kidding about the flowers. I haven't tilted it up to check the blades for sharpness yet but when I aligned the blades up for you to use the forks to load it they seemed sharp from the apearance of the mower I assume that that asumption is correct isn' t it? If so I will wait a little later in the year to check them. I don't seem to be too hard on mower blades I put a new set on my sears craftsman lgt the other day . I have used those blades for since 1990 and I can still touch them up and keep them for a spare set. Some of the neighbours around here change blades about every year or so, I've never understood why they don't mark the spots where they are hitting obsticales and either get them out of their way or at least mow around them and get that area with a push mower or a weed eater one or the other. This is the first year that I have put new plugs in it also, hope the pt can hold up that long.

/ PT422 Aux cooling #7  
Dear Phil,

Looks factory new!

Have you thought about putting a little extra insulation on the fuel line and/or fuel tank to keep it from getting heated up in the first place? Often something as simple as wrapping the fuel line with a second fuel hose (split lengthwise and cable tied on) is enough to keep the fuel cool enough not to vapor lock. Or a piece of shiny aluminium between the tank and the rest of the engine compartment? I used some of the anti-sweat foil surfaced foam pipe tape on one vehicle to keep things cool.
Vapor lock is a pretty common problem on some older carburetor vehicles, e.g. VW bugs, etc. Usually, it is part design failure (gas line too close to the engine) and part operational (hot day, clogged fuel filter or non-venting gas cap instead of a venting one.) I used to work on a ranch where it routinely got up over 115, so we had a few tricks to keep things running.

I hope that your fan solves your problem!

All the best,

Peter

/ PT422 Aux cooling
ponytug said:
Have you thought about putting a little extra insulation on the fuel line and/or fuel tank to keep it from getting heated up in the first place? Often something as simple as wrapping the fuel line with a second fuel hose (split lengthwise and cable tied on) is enough to keep the fuel cool enough not to vapor lock. Or a piece of shiny aluminium between the tank and the rest of the engine compartment? I used some of the anti-sweat foil surfaced foam pipe tape on one vehicle to keep things cool.
Vapor lock is a pretty common problem on some older carburetor vehicles, e.g. VW bugs, etc. Usually, it is part design failure (gas line too close to the engine) and part operational (hot day, clogged fuel filter or non-venting gas cap instead of a venting one.) I used to work on a ranch where it routinely got up over 115, so we had a few tricks to keep things running./QUOTE]

Thanks for the tips Ponytug.

Insulating the fuel lines was one of the first things I tried. Helped, didn't solve the problem (it would take LONGER before shutdown from VL). Tried insulating with the foil covered insulation sheeting next. Still would die from VL after long, hard and hot usage. Never tried insulating the gas tank as it didn't occur to me it could contribute to the problem until this last time when the level was low and refilling the tank seemed to help. (One inch of gas left, engine started surging from VL, dumped in a couple of gallons and the surging stopped). I SHOULD have been measuring temps of the tank. But then... I SHOULD have bought Microsoft stock 20 years ago too.

I moved the fuel lines from the left hotter side of the engine to the right cooler side by installing an electric pump (the mechanical pump is mounted on the left side just inches from the exhaust muffler. That helped and I haven't had the engine shut down from VL since. However, it's still running hot and because of the electric pump I can hear whether it's pumping vapor or liquid.

Because it is still so hot and there is vapor in the lines, the engine is running lean and therefore hotter than it should be. I run synthetic so I don't worry about seizing anything, but this still can't be good for engine life.

Taking a short break in the middle of stump grinding or mowing will result in vapor in the lines but I can still start and run because of the electric pump.

This added fan is a pusher and blows through three areas: across the back of the fuel tank and out the other side, across the exhaust manifold and out the other side, and across and above the baffle which may supply somewhat cooler air for the hydraulic cooler.

I've also discovered that I can reach the toggle switch from the seat but it's a stretch.

It's gonna be weeks until I have a free day to mow or grind stumps... dang, but the calendar is filling in fast! A nice warm day and a few hours with the PTO going will either confirm that THIS is the final solution or ....

Provided this does solve my problem, I believe I MIGHT have been able to skip the electric pump/ re-routed hose idea. I'm not going to undo that modification but mention that for anyone else chasing this situation.

Phil

/ PT422 Aux cooling #9  
You inspired me to add a fan to the side of my PT422. I went with a SPAL 7.5" exhaust fan (same brand and size as the top fan). I mounted it on the same side as the muffler... hopefully it will keep things cooler by drawing the air across the heat shield and outside of the engine. I just connected it to the same connections as the top fan, so it comes on as soon as you turn the key on.

$62 from Jaycorp was the best price that I found.
JayCorp Technologies - SPAL 7.5" Slim Fan

It should be interesting to see if the alternator has any problems keeping up with the extra 6 amp load.

On a parallel note, has anybody added oil temperature gages to their PT? I did a search here on TBN, but didn't come up with much. It is unfortunate that PT didn't think that I would be willing to pay a couple hundred more to get the quad gage like the T12+ series.

Anybody know the brand of this quad gage, or a source for it? Other then an aircraft supply store, which is the only place that I have seen quad gages.

/ PT422 Aux cooling #10  
Hi there TOY,

I don't want to hijack Phils thread here, so I'll PM you on the stuff you asked...