Members home made attachments / improvements

/ Members home made attachments / improvements #1  

Barryh

Veteran Member
Harpers Ferry WV - Mountains of Shannondale
Tractor
Former owner of a P T -180 / Kubota BX-1500 .. A Craftsman Yard Tractor / John Deere 140 H-1 / Cub Cadet 108. And now ( Little Red ) a Power Trac 1425
I know there are many scattered threads with everyone’s home grown attachments, but I would like to see them all in one place to date, and if possible in action. If anyone is interested, and would like to show photo's big or small of your completed attachment improvements, and or handy attachment ideas. I think it would be rather entertaining for some of the new comers, and old timers as well.

Some of you guys are pretty smart, with lots of outside the box thinking. I’ll be adding some of mine very soon, as I am having some wielding done in the next few weeks. This is a really special talented group of hands on do it yourself thinkers. I think it would be fun to see what everyone has done to date. :eek:

/ Members home made attachments / improvements #2  
Barryh said:
I know there are many scattered threads with everyone’s home grown attachments, but I would like to see them all in one place to date, and if possible in action. If anyone is interested, and would like to show photo's big or small of your completed attachment improvements, and or handy attachment ideas. I think it would be rather entertaining for some of the new comers, and old timers as well.

Some of you guys are pretty smart, with lots of outside the box thinking. I’ll be adding some of mine very soon, as I am having some wielding done in the next few weeks. This is a really special talented group of hands on do it yourself thinkers. I think it would be fun to see what everyone has done to date. :eek:
Here's a few of the items I have done to make life easier. A thumb for the mini hoe, a trash can lifter, a small trenching bucket and my wonderful little dump trailer. I also put a quick disconnect plate on a three point rake. Don't have pictures but will get some next time I use the rake.

Attachments

• Thumb1.JPG
    Thumb1.JPG
    121 KB · Views: 5,641
  • trench bucket 1.JPG
    trench bucket 1.JPG
    127.6 KB · Views: 7,178
  • canlifter.JPG
    canlifter.JPG
    163.6 KB · Views: 4,961
  • dump.JPG
    dump.JPG
    162.6 KB · Views: 22,679
   / Members home made attachments / improvements
bbabineau said:
Here's a few of the items I have done to make life easier. A thumb for the mini hoe, a trash can lifter, a small trenching bucket and my wonderful little dump trailer. I also put a quick disconnect plate on a three point rake. Don't have pictures but will get some next time I use the rake.
Pretty nice, I really like the bucket. I’m in the process of getting my hitch receiver welded to an attachment plate so I can plug in different attachments.

One on my list will be a small bucket similar to yours, but in more of a tree spade form, with a sharp point for digging up and planting small trees. A trash can lifter?? That’s a cool idea, that would really come in handy around here. ;)

Another plug in I plan to do is a landscape rake, a boom, and a box blade among other things. I should have my hitch back next week. Then I start on my list. How well has the small bucket worked out for you will it dig fairly well ??

/ Members home made attachments / improvements #4  
Robert, that trailer is sweet!!! Does the dump work off the AUX PTO.
Kris

/ Members home made attachments / improvements #5  
To reply to both questions, the dump works off it's own hydraulic pump in the box on the tongue. The trailer is also street legal so it is used to pick up materials and to make frequent trips to the dump. I designed it at 54" wide to be identical to the PT so when it is trailed behind the PT or pushed in front it is the same width. It is 6' long in the bed and with 24" sides it has a capacity of exactly 2 cu yds. As for the bucket, it is not quite what I had expected. Although it has pretty agressive teeth it is not a real great excavating tool. I can stand the points on end with the weight of the 1430 behind it and not be able to dig into the dirt. It does come in handy finishing a hole dug with the mini hoe and for cleaning out ditches as it was intended.

/ Members home made attachments / improvements #6  
This is a Mini-hoe I built using a forklift carriage, and one of the forks. I welded a plate in the corner to connect to a cylinder. At the end, is a roll over tube and bolt for the bucket. The bucket is 12 in wide, and 22 in long. I am using the aux control to curl the bucket, and the joystick for up/down, and tilt. It can be taken apart in about 20 min for some other use. The fork can be used any where on the carriage, like for digging up close to a building, etc.

Attachments

• Mini-hoe 004.jpg
    Mini-hoe 004.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 13,115
  • Mini-hoe 001.jpg
    Mini-hoe 001.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 3,677
  • Mini-hoe 010.jpg
    Mini-hoe 010.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 2,937
  • Mini-hoe 013.jpg
    Mini-hoe 013.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 3,082
  • Mini-hoe 003.jpg
    Mini-hoe 003.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 4,254
  • Mini-hoe 008.jpg
    Mini-hoe 008.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 3,065
   / Members home made attachments / improvements #7  
J.J. - Very nice!!! Good use of available materials.

ken

/ Members home made attachments / improvements
J_J said:
This is a Mini-hoe I built using a forklift carriage, and one of the forks. I welded a plate in the corner to connect to a cylinder. At the end, is a roll over tube and bolt for the bucket. The bucket is 12 in wide, and 22 in long. I am using the aux control to curl the bucket, and the joystick for up/down, and tilt. It can be taken apart in about 20 min for some other use. The fork can be used any where on the carriage, like for digging up close to a building, etc.
Talking about original..... that is just to frigan cool ! How come I haven’t seen that one before??

J.J. I am planning on using my plug in hitch with square tubing to do something similar. I am going to get the Lacklender 8- inch bucket along with a cylinder and then go from there. I just want something light duty along the lines of what you have there to dig down about 3 foot or so. Fork lift tine, really cool..:p

/ Members home made attachments / improvements #9  
Excellent minihoe, JJ!!

The old Case 580CK I owned 20 years ago had a sliding hoe in order to work close to buildings, like you can. That feature wasn't usually needed but (as I'm SURE you realize) when you DO need to get close it makes ALL the difference.

And I agree with Barryh... how come I haven't seen it before. You been holding out on us? Or did I miss a couple of PT posts (that doesn't happen often)?

Phil

/ Members home made attachments / improvements #10  
Ken, Barry, Phil, Thanks for the comments.

I had been thinking on this for a while, and decided to go ahead with the Mini-hoe with what I had available. I have almost finished a fully articulated Front-hoe, I just need to make a firm decision on the valves that I want to use. I have 4 sets of forks, and decided to make some other use for them. I had posted over a year ago a plant digger using a cut down water tank to make a scoop for plants, which bolted to one of the forks. It works fairly well, but it is thin gage metal. I also made an engine hoist with extendable boom. When I get the time, I intend to make a three bladed tree spade, to push all three blades in the ground and lift a medium size plant, for transplanting, or installing new plants.