Adding Power Beyond, 3-spool hydraulic valve, and T-n-T to a JD 2520

/ Adding Power Beyond, 3-spool hydraulic valve, and T-n-T to a JD 2520 #1  

jimgerken

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 3720
I will use this thread to document all the hydraulic additions to my 2520. I will append as I get stuff done enough to show it. I wish to show enough detail so someone could follow along if desired. I will show all the plumbing, and provide the fitting types where it would be helpful, especially when interfacing to the tractor existing hydraulics (DSCV loader valve and three-point lift). I do not intend to use the John Deere Power Beyond kit if I can avoid it. At this point I am assuming the system will be identical to the JD 4100 hydraulics, to which I added similar options in 2001 or 2002. This system will have three additional spools, with couplers available to the back of the tractor, but one of the spool circuits will "T" and hose-route to the side of the tractor where the existing loader couplings are made. Later I will add a set of hoses and coupler nipples to route this circuit along the loader frame to the front crossbar where it can have mounted couplers to allow use with a grapple. And of course, Top and Tilt cylinders will be chosen, mounted and plumbed for the 3-point.

The first part of this process is to mount everything so the plumbing can then be planned and performed.

Starting now with the 3-spool Prince sectional valve mounting. I wanted it mounted on the right side, behind the seat, up 2.5 inches, at a 7 degree angle (so the back is lower than the front for ergonomic reasons and so maybe the inevitable spilled oil drops will run off the back and fall to the ground instead of running down the tractor fender and 3-point area). When you order a Prince sectional valve, you configure whatever you want. I chose the basic three spools for double acting cylinders, no float or regen, spring return to center, open center, and no power beyond (PB could be added later). In addition to the three working sections, there is an input and an output section. Overall the thing is about 8.5 inches wide, so it's kind of big for this small tractor, but it fits. Of course, the normal lever position on these is "lever straight up" on the front of the valve. Once mounted in the place there is room for it on my tractor, to operate it I would have to turn halfway around and still it would be a tough contorsion. So I designed and built a "forward control" set for it. This takes the standard levers and positions them out in front of the valve, laying forward at about a 30 degree up from horizontal (position and angle chosen to allow the important drink-holder to stay accessible and the 3-point position control still works fine). I chose to extend the length of the Forward Control set by about 4 inches, to put the lever handles right under my hand when seated and facing forward. Time for a few pics, and more to come of course...

Attachments

• P1010103 (Medium).JPG
    P1010103 (Medium).JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 5,953
  • P1010099 (Medium).JPG
    P1010099 (Medium).JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 4,944
  • P1010100 (Medium).JPG
    P1010100 (Medium).JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 4,935
   / Adding Power Beyond, 3-spool hydraulic valve, and T-n-T to a JD 2520
After the valve mounting was complete, I started on the sidelink. I chose a cylinder from Surplus Center, their part number 9-6467-04. This is the largest cylinder that could fit in the space. The length is max, at 8.5 inches for the bare body alone after cutting the fittings off. The diameter is actually a bit too big, so the top fitting is installed offset to the "back" as much as possible. This works well in practice. I put it in the hacksaw and cut the bottom fitting off, and then cut off the rod end fitting along with about 3/4 inch of the rod itself. The fittings get welded on at an angle, and this is an important one, then drilled properly. The mid-stroke length is to be 16.5 inches to match the fixed-side length. that gives two inches up, and 2 down, which should be plenty. I think 1.5 each way is enough actually, if you find a 3 inch stroke cylinder that fits better (but I could not find it). BTW, this is a rebuildable cylinder, not welded shut which could be shorter overall, in case you need that. These pics show the fittings tacked in place. Final welding will be done today. For welding, first I grind off the chrome area so as not to include it in the weld. Then the goal is to keep the rod as cool as possible and protected from splatter by wrapping it with a wet towel and cooling it down after each weld, with a bucket of water. It would be better yet to dissassemble the cylinder but I am too impatient for that. I have done this procedure five times now with no apparent damage to the seals or piston, so it must be working. For welding the bottom end, first I extend the rod as far as possible to get the piston farther from the heat. Again I protect the rod and cool often. Try to keep the fluid ports out of the water. Pics...

Attachments

• P1010104 (Medium).JPG
    P1010104 (Medium).JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 4,166
  • P1010105 (Medium).JPG
    P1010105 (Medium).JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 3,541
  • P1010106 (Medium).JPG
    P1010106 (Medium).JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 3,488
  • sidelink installed (Medium).JPG
    sidelink installed (Medium).JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 3,888
Last edited:
With the sidelink almost done mechanically, I put on the purchased top link. I had chosen Agri-supply part number 67464. This one fits my tractor perfectly, and is reasonably priced. The ports on this cylinder and the sidelink cylinder are all SAE 8. This is the type that uses an "O" ring and a jamb nut with washer to put pressure on the "O" ring. So if using a 90 degree fitting, it can be angled any desired direction and then the jamb nut tightened to hold the position and make the seal. This method sure beats tapered pipe where you know for sure it will tighten in the wrong position. Pic...

Attachments

• P1010108 (Medium).JPG
    P1010108 (Medium).JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 4,199
   / Adding Power Beyond, 3-spool hydraulic valve, and T-n-T to a JD 2520 #4  
nice job Jim, appreciate the detail in your posts and the photos. Thanks for taking the time to post and please keep them coming

/ Adding Power Beyond, 3-spool hydraulic valve, and T-n-T to a JD 2520 #5  
Good work Jim:D

/ Adding Power Beyond, 3-spool hydraulic valve, and T-n-T to a JD 2520 #6  
Well Jim, I gotta' say, I envy your shop skills to make this work to your suitability. Nice job indeed.

It should be a federal law that if you post pics of something this customized and functional, you should have to fix mine like this too....

/ Adding Power Beyond, 3-spool hydraulic valve, and T-n-T to a JD 2520 #7  
That's as "clean" as it gets. I envy your skills!
Nick.

/ Adding Power Beyond, 3-spool hydraulic valve, and T-n-T to a JD 2520 #8  
I love all the details! One of these days I'm going to actually take that welding class at the local Community College. But before I spring for a welder, I think I need to spring for the tractor!

Everything got painted Saturday morning.

Attachments

• P1010124 (Medium).JPG
    P1010124 (Medium).JPG
    64 KB · Views: 3,631
  • P1010115 (Medium).JPG
    P1010115 (Medium).JPG
    59 KB · Views: 2,854
  • P1010114 (Medium).JPG
    P1010114 (Medium).JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 3,253
Even though my huge order of fittings and hoses has not arrived from Surplus Center yet, I was anxious to get started so I tore into it last night. Jacked it up, placed jackstand under, removed right rear tire...

Attachments

• P1010116 (Medium).JPG
    P1010116 (Medium).JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 3,887
Last edited: