NH 276 baler question

/ NH 276 baler question #1  

steveky

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota/ L3010HST, BX 1800
Anyone know what size horsepower tractor you need to run one of these balers?

Thanks

/ NH 276 baler question #2  
steveky said:
Anyone know what size horsepower tractor you need to run one of these balers?

Thanks

It's not a question of horsepower to run the baler; what's more important is the size of the tractor to handle the constant bucking back and forth from the plunger. You could use a small compact tractor to run the baler - say 20 hp or so - but the baler would shake that tractor apart in a New York minute.

Go for an older, heavier tractor (like a John Deere B or 50; IH M) if you want to bale.

My NH 315 rocks my New Holland TN65 pretty good; and the TN weighs around 6500 lbs.

Good luck.

/ NH 276 baler question #3  
You'll need 30-35 HP, maybe more if you're loading a wagon on a hill. I've run one behind an A-C d-14 for years, it pulls it no sweat. One thing that help[s is a live pto!

/ NH 276 baler question #4  
Figure 20+ PTO HP to turn the baler over, another 10 at the drawbar to pull it -- add a safety factor for hills, wagon, etc and you get the 30-35 minimum mentioned previously, BUT the first response is the real question. I have a Model 46 IH that either my little AC (20 HP) or the Mahindra (65 HP) will turn. The AC will pull it too, but not at the same time it is turning it over. <grin>. However, it shakes that little AC like a rag dool in a bulldog's mouth. You can still feel it on the Mahindra (with fluid filled tires), but it is more like a slight rocking. Ran a neighbor's JD 336 today and it moved the Mahindra more than the IH. They've both got big flywheels to smooth out the stress on the rotating shafts, but you still have a whole bunch of weight moving forward and back with each plunger stroke.

/ NH 276 baler question #5  
Big difference between a little compact tractor imported from Japan, and a heavy built American farm tractor, Like a D-14, which has a flywheel that weighs about 50 lbs, if I remember it right. I wouldn't even dream of attaching a baler to something that light, every time the plunger goes backwards, so would the tractor, man that would be like baling in reverse!:D :D

/ NH 276 baler question #6  
I,m running a 275 behind a JD 2750, with no problem. By the way does anyone know where to get a ratchet clutch cheap for this model.

/ NH 276 baler question #7  
I am using a TC45D New Holland and it is 45hp