John Deere X495 PTO Problems

/ John Deere X495 PTO Problems #1  

tutnkmn

Hello all. I am new to the forum and am having a problem with our mower.

It is a 2005 John Deere X495 2WS, Diesel 3 cylinder with a 62 inch hydraulic deck. Recently the PTO has had an intermittent problem starting. Sometimes it will start OK and other times it will take 8 or 10 tries of the switch to get it to engage. Any ideas what could be wrong?

Is the PTO switch bad? Is there some other problem with the electricals?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

PS: It is equipped with the RIO option.

/ John Deere X495 PTO Problems
RollTideRam said:
Being an 05 model, is it still in warranty? JC

Being that it was purchased by a charity to which I volunteer it was bought as a "commercial" mower. That only comes with a one year warranty :(

/ John Deere X495 PTO Problems #4  
hello,

The PTO is hydraulically driven from the rear axle. There is a solenoid that is activated to engage the clutch/brake assembly (inside the axle). The solenoid is external and you can measure if a voltage is there when the PTO switch is engaged. If voltage is present, the solenoid is likely bad. If no voltage you need to backtrack and inspect.

For $50US, the repair manual is well worth the purchase price. (on CDROM). You print the pages of interest and recycle them when completed.

/ John Deere X495 PTO Problems
awlchu said:
hello,

The PTO is hydraulically driven from the rear axle. There is a solenoid that is activated to engage the clutch/brake assembly (inside the axle). The solenoid is external and you can measure if a voltage is there when the PTO switch is engaged. If voltage is present, the solenoid is likely bad. If no voltage you need to backtrack and inspect.

For $50US, the repair manual is well worth the purchase price. (on CDROM). You print the pages of interest and recycle them when completed.

Thanks, I'll check the voltage ASAP.

/ John Deere X495 PTO Problems #6  
My X495 has the same problem, no PTO actuation when switch pulled up. I discovered that pushing up on the wire bundle going into the switch activates the blades and they keep running. Think it is a bad connection but how do I replace that switch?