Ford/NH 1910 w/blown engine - how bad?

/ Ford/NH 1910 w/blown engine - how bad? #1  

bc-cny

Tractor
Still Looking!
I'm looking at a Ford 1910 4wd with FEL. It is advertised as having a cracked head and bent rod, but otherwise OK. I know parts can be expensive for these - any experience as to how much a rebuild would cost? I'm thinking the best case is a new rod, bearings, gaskets, etc. Worst case would be damaged block and crank, head cracked too badly to repair, basically a whole new long block. I don't mind doing the engine work myself as long as parts are available. Are there any compatible engines that could be retrofit?

The other issue is that it has ~5000 hours - that sounds like a lot for a machine in this size range. Good units with loaders seem to fetch $7-9K, but most of the ads I've seen have a lot fewer hours. Any idea how much the high hours would drop the value?

Thanks in advance,

BC

/ Ford/NH 1910 w/blown engine - how bad? #2  
It sounds like it will most likely need another long block, but it would be hard to tell without tearing it down and inspecting the damage.

I'm guessing that it ran hot, cracked the head, got coolant into the cylinder(s) and hydro-locked the cylinder causing the rod to break.

/ Ford/NH 1910 w/blown engine - how bad?
That sounds possible - any ideas on sources/prices for a long block? Are rebuild parts available?

lug nut said:
It sounds like it will most likely need another long block, but it would be hard to tell without tearing it down and inspecting the damage.

I'm guessing that it ran hot, cracked the head, got coolant into the cylinder(s) and hydro-locked the cylinder causing the rod to break.

/ Ford/NH 1910 w/blown engine - how bad? #4  
I can't help you much with the pricing or sources. I have worked on automobiles for many years, but I don't have much experience with tractor parts or their prices. I'm sure someone will come along who can shed some light.

/ Ford/NH 1910 w/blown engine - how bad? #5  
I'd check a salvage yard for a running 'drop in' engine fromt he same model tractor as the cheapest way to get that 5000hr old chassie back into service.

And yes.. I agree.. 5khrs is approaching well worn on a CUT..

try wengers of PA

price the engine and chassie.. then compair that to a working tractor in similar cosmetic condition and hours.. but running. Unless there is a wide margin.. I'd buy a tractor I knew worked.. vs a basket case... who knows what else is wrong since you can't spin her over...

Soundguy

Sounds like good advice, thanks. I'll call around and see what a salvage engine costs and add that to the price to start with. I was also thinking along the same lines not being able to run it and try it out - I'd really have to assume everything is whooped. I think I'll probably pass on it, but it caught my eye since it was cheap ($3500) and there is not much out there with a loader in that price range. I was thinking if the engine was in the $1000 range I could take the risk of another couple of grand of needed repairs and still come out ahead.

Soundguy said:
I'd check a salvage yard for a running 'drop in' engine fromt he same model tractor as the cheapest way to get that 5000hr old chassie back into service.

And yes.. I agree.. 5khrs is approaching well worn on a CUT..

try wengers of PA

price the engine and chassie.. then compair that to a working tractor in similar cosmetic condition and hours.. but running. Unless there is a wide margin.. I'd buy a tractor I knew worked.. vs a basket case... who knows what else is wrong since you can't spin her over...

Soundguy

/ Ford/NH 1910 w/blown engine - how bad? #7  
bc-cny said:
I think I'll probably pass on it, but it caught my eye since it was cheap ($3500) and there is not much out there with a loader in that price range. I was thinking if the engine was in the $1000 range I could take the risk of another couple of grand of needed repairs and still come out ahead.

Not for nothing, but if you can get a good one with normal hours for ~7k, $3500 sounds anything but cheap. It sounds like it is basically worthless.

Wait a couple of months then offer for scrap weight.

JayC

/ Ford/NH 1910 w/blown engine - how bad? #8  
bc-cny said:
I'm looking at a Ford 1910 4wd with FEL. It is advertised as having a cracked head and bent rod, but otherwise OK. I know parts can be expensive for these - any experience as to how much a rebuild would cost? I'm thinking the best case is a new rod, bearings, gaskets, etc. Worst case would be damaged block and crank, head cracked too badly to repair, basically a whole new long block. I don't mind doing the engine work myself as long as parts are available. Are there any compatible engines that could be retrofit?

The other issue is that it has ~5000 hours - that sounds like a lot for a machine in this size range. Good units with loaders seem to fetch $7-9K, but most of the ads I've seen have a lot fewer hours. Any idea how much the high hours would drop the value?

Thanks in advance,

BC

When I approach a cow pie the aroma lets me know and then I look and try to avoid stepping in it and not always successfully:D
This tractor deal smells about the same as the cow pie.5000 Hrs is a lot even with engine running let alone with all the stuff that you know is wrong with it. I'll avoid it unless I can get it at scrap price, have plenty of time to fiddle with it and willing to take my chances. Just for reference I bought my 1700 about almost the same as 1900 for $3100 and 900 hrs in great shape after overhauling the whole hydraulic system.

Now that I've thought about it for a while, I think I agree - too much risk for the price, especially since this would be my first CUT. I guess I'll keep looking - these do look like good tractors for the money.

/ Ford/NH 1910 w/blown engine - how bad? #10  
bc-cny said:
Now that I've thought about it for a while, I think I agree - too much risk for the price, especially since this would be my first CUT. I guess I'll keep looking - these do look like good tractors for the money.

Very good decision.. you just don't want to leave a bad taste in your mouth on the first purchase. There are many things I find with Ford 1000 series tractors that I like specially ease of maintenance and availability of components. They are very solid ,no frills work horses. Good luck in your hunt.:)

JC