Generator NorthStar PTO Generator Question

/ NorthStar PTO Generator Question #1  

N1ST

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800
I'm wondering if a MF GC2310 (PTO HP 18.7, 13.9kw) will handle the Northern Tool "NorthStar PTO Generator — 13,000 Watt, 24 HP Required" OK? The generator has good reviews and I've read good things about it here on TBN.

Does the generator have to be mounted about level with the PTO, or can the PTO shaft assembly be at nearly any angle necessary?

I'm not sure at this point what I'd mount the gen on/in. Perhaps a pallet staked to the ground with some sort of plastic enclosure over it. Would this handle the torque or could it flip? Does it need much ventilation or would a dog-igloo work as an enclosure?

Thanks.

/ NorthStar PTO Generator Question #2  
N1ST said:
I'm wondering if a MF GC2310 (PTO HP 18.7, 13.9kw) will handle the Northern Tool "NorthStar PTO Generator — 13,000 Watt, 24 HP Required" OK?

Thanks.

Tractor = 13.9KW ...Gen = 13 KW not counting losses. therefore I would think that your answer is a NO it will not power it .

BUT just because the Gen is rated for 13KW does not mean you have to load it to that! If you only load the Gen to 10KW or so (less than 13KW) you can probably drive it with your tractor.

You do need to remember that as the rpm of the tractor slows so does the frequency of the power and your household appliances wont like that if it goes too low.

/ NorthStar PTO Generator Question #3  
Most PTO driveshafts horsepower rating and life expectancy go way down if you use it at more than a 15 degree angle. And most limit their use for 30 degrees or less. The straighter the better. Best to make a stand that keeps the thing fairly in line during use. Somethings, like a rototiller or snowblower, you can't help having some angle.

/ NorthStar PTO Generator Question #4  
I have a generator that came with a 3 point mount. That seems to be the easiest way to do it safely. If the generator is not on something with a wide enough base it will flip over.
I was saving a small trailer someone gave me for the purpose but now I don't need it.

/ NorthStar PTO Generator Question #5  
I muonted mine on a carryall from tsc. Added swivel wheels to the bottom works great. north star pto 7800 kw on a 2000 yanmar (20 hp). Get your pto shaft from agri supply.

/ NorthStar PTO Generator Question #6  
N1ST said:
I'm wondering if a MF GC2310 (PTO HP 18.7, 13.9kw) will handle the Northern Tool "NorthStar PTO Generator — 13,000 Watt, 24 HP Required" OK?

A good rule of thumb is to allow 2 HP (at the PTO) for every KW of generating power. The rule doesn't work so well once you get into very large generators, or very small. From a couple of KW up into the farm-sized units, it's a decent estimate.

So you should be able to count on 9KW of output if you put that ubit on your tractor. Load it down much more than that, and the engine will start bogging down. 9KW should be plenty for emergency home use, unless you've got a huge air conditioning system (not an issue for me up here in Vermont) or some other major load.

/ NorthStar PTO Generator Question
Only heavy load is a 1/2 hp 240v well pump. I dont know if the 7kw model would handle this. It doesn't have much headroom above continuous rating for surges.

Last edited:
   / NorthStar PTO Generator Question #8  
Look at it like this.. your genny has extra 'reserve', and won't be running at max.. should help it live longer.. and if you get a bigger tractor later.. you are set.

I have the 13kw genny northern sells. it's a decent unit.

Soundguy

/ NorthStar PTO Generator Question #9  
The way I look at ityou will be able to power 9 or 10kW constant drain. For quick surges tho, you will still be able to apply the higher power the gen is capable of for the fraction of a second needed to carry through startng a motor. Theres a lot of rotating mass to act as a flywheel and help limit rpm drop.
larry

/ NorthStar PTO Generator Question #10  
jsborn said:
You do need to remember that as the rpm of the tractor slows so does the frequency of the power and your household appliances wont like that if it goes too low.

This is a very important point. People have burned out many appliances running them at the wrong frequency. Get a frequency meter to put in your house and watch this. I think Kilowatt, sold by radioshack is $39. It plugs into an outlet and gives voltage and frequency.

I start a 1.25 HP well with a 5 KW generator (but it is marginal), so you should be OK. If necessary turn off your other loads before starting the pump. I have an extra large surge tank (40 gallons), and can go many hours between running the well if we are careful with water use.