Last toothbar question? . . . nah

/ Last toothbar question? . . . nah #1  

fishman

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B2910; Kubota T1670
O.k. I want a toothbar and probably am going to buy it from Carver, but just one more qustion. Any of you with toothbars also use detachable forks? Can the forks be installed without removing the toothbar? I gather that removing a toothbar isn't that big of a deal, but I would like to avoid that if possible. Thanks.

/ Last toothbar question? . . . nah #2  
John, since my forks are a home made version, yes, I use them without removing the toothbar. I don't remember what kind of forks you have, but if they're like Harv's forks, I think you can use them without removing the toothbar.

/ Last toothbar question? . . . nah #3  
Fishman,

It all works together with the equipment I have. Here's a pic showing them together on the tractor.

There's 7 1/2" between teeth on the toothbar and the clamp on forks are only 6" at their widest point. As for the depth, the screw to tighten the forks is 10" back from the bucket edge and the back edge of toothbar when attached is 7" in from the cutting edge.

DFB

Attachments

• 5-113225-tbar2.jpg
    5-113225-tbar2.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 81
   / Last toothbar question? . . . nah #4  
How much were the pair of forks...? and where did you get them from? /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

18-35197-JD5205JFMsignaturelogo.JPG

/ Last toothbar question? . . . nah #5  
John -

I have both the Long toothbar and the Long bolt-on cutting edge which I bought from Carver. I also have a pair of ATI bolt-on bucket forks which I bought from a local dealer. I have to remove the toothbar/edge to put on the forks. The moral is something like "Measure twice, cuss once."

If you do buy clamp on forks they will probably come with paint on the screw threads. Make sure you get every bit of this off with paint stripper or the insides of the nuts which the threaded rod goes though will get gunked up. I didn't do this before first use and they were a bear to get on and off.

Timd

/ Last toothbar question? . . . nah #6  
<font color=blue>...a pair of ATI bolt-on bucket forks ...</font color=blue>

Tim... how much were these forks?

18-35197-JD5205JFMsignaturelogo.JPG

/ Last toothbar question? . . . nah #7  
<font color=blue>if they're like Harv's forks, I think you can use them without removing the toothbar</font color=blue>

I've wondered about that myself, Bird, but it looks like DFB has shown us the proof. At least it works with his toothbar and his clamp-on forks.
wink.gif

/ Last toothbar question? . . . nah #8  
Okay, DFB, now I'm really frustrated. Every time I think I know my needs, somebody adds to the knowledge pool and I'm confused all over again.

I'm thinking 4310 with 430 loader and toothbar. How much can you lift/maneuver with those bolt-on forks? If I can save money by not buying JD forks in place of the bucket, I'd love to. Keep the info coming. As John MIII says, "How much?"

Bill

/ Last toothbar question? . . . nah #9  
John -

They were listed on <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.abcgroff.com/>Abcgroff's</A> web page last summer on promotion for $397. I contacted Ike there who said they were UPSable and shipping would be about $30/pair. Just checked the web page and don't see them anymore. I swung by my local Kubota dealer and he had the same thing, and would sell for $400, so I bought locally.

Timd

/ Last toothbar question? . . . nah #10  
Blurrybill, if JD's loader forks are what you need by all means go for it. There are TBN members who have mentioned having them. I feel that setup is definitely the superior choice for maximum height overhead lifting.

There are some cautions one should take when using clamp on forks. The further the load extends out beyond the pivot pin the more the max. load rating decreases. The JD loader operator's manual can supply all the different lift point ratings.

Also you have to be extra careful that something like a log won't roll out and over the back of the bucket.
A situation like that can easily happen when you least expect it. /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

Originally I was willing to purchase the quick tach JD forks but was erroneously told that they weren't available for the 4100. So that led me to search alternative choices and the decision to go with the clamp on style at that time.

If you haven't already read it, this thread <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=implement&Number=57452&page=&view=&sb=&o=&fpart=all&vc=1>Comparison Test--Attachable Loader Forks</A> originated by Glennmac covers just about all the currently available choices and discusses many of the pro's and cons of each type.

The clamp-on forks I have came from <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.ringohill.com>http://www.ringohill.com</A> and run a little less than half the price of the JD forklift attachment. They are rated @ 2000 lbs lift cap. Plenty strong enough for the power of a 430 loader. Kinda an overkill for a 410 loader but that was the only size available. Lightweight, they handle easily and are quick to use. I like 'em.

The tooth bar came from there too.

DFB