Backhoe 3 pt backhoe

/ 3 pt backhoe #1  

heehaw

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M4900, B7510 and RTV
i am really wanting a 3 pt backhoe to put on my 50hp kubota: or maybe the 21hp one?? haven't really decided that part yet: but i keep reading things about people "breaking the tractor" using these when the tractor doesn't have a "frame?". i don't understand? can someone tell me how this happens, other than puttin the backhoe thats for the 50hp on the 21hp tractor?
thanks
heehaw

/ 3 pt backhoe #2  
Instead of mounting on the 3 pt , It mounts under the tractor distributing the weight across the tractor

JD039.jpg

Sub frame on right that mount to the back of the backhoe

JD034.jpg

/ 3 pt backhoe #3  
heehaw said:
i am really wanting a 3 pt backhoe to put on my 50hp kubota: or maybe the 21hp one?? haven't really decided that part yet: but i keep reading things about people "breaking the tractor" using these when the tractor doesn't have a "frame?". i don't understand? can someone tell me how this happens, other than puttin the backhoe thats for the 50hp on the 21hp tractor?
thanks
heehaw

How ya doin heehaw?

I bought one of those taylor way 766 BH's early this year.. hooked it up 3pt and gave it a little stretch and moved it around to see what reaction the tractor had......very sloppy on my 24 hp tractor.. so made a subframe.......................................................................................................I'm sure you've checked the other threads concerning 3pt vs subframe so nothing earth shaking to add, you have more tractor knowledge than I do...:eek: ... but I think a big 50hp tractor should have no problem with a small 3pt hoe.
No one on tnb saying "they" broke a tractor with a 3pt hoe.. some 2nd-3rd hand stories, which may be true. Some people with hefty tractors happy with 3pt set-up though. Many more cautioning against it, With my experience with using it "with" the subframe I believe I'm saving the tractor some wear and tear.

/ 3 pt backhoe #4  
Tim, that's a great idea --- modify the hoe to work as a subframe unit! Sure would like to see a couple (OK, 4-5..) pictures of how/what you did.

Thanks,

AKfish

/ 3 pt backhoe
i'm pretty "build it" shortchanged: but would also like to see how you came up with the subframe etc.
thanks
heehaw

/ 3 pt backhoe
Grizz: wow: great set of pictures!
heehaw

/ 3 pt backhoe #7  
HeeHaw,

Why a 3pt hoe? The 50 hp kubota tractor should have sub-frame hoe's from Kubota, Woods, bradco and other available. Or are you just looking to spend minimum $ on a very minimum hoe?

Mostly, you get what you pay for with backhoes. There may be some imports that are better than others - I don't know.

Good luck

jb

/ 3 pt backhoe #8  
I recently put a Woods BH on my GC2300 adding the subframe to handle it. I considered a 3pt BH but in discussing this with my dealer, he said the subcuts (which I would suspect your 21hp is) are really not up to the task of the 3pt BH because you are hanging too much weight too far back.

I thought the 3pt would be easier to deal with because I wouldn't need to get the 3pt arms out of the way (another issue with subcuts because the BH should be up tight against the main frame).

With your 50hp you should be able to use either type BH and still keep the 3pt in place.

/ 3 pt backhoe #9  
AKfish said:
Tim, that's a great idea --- modify the hoe to work as a subframe unit! Sure would like to see a couple (OK, 4-5..) pictures of how/what you did.

Thanks,

AKfish

morning AK will get some pics later for you. I hadn't done a heavy fab for many years and every connection I made would need tweaking and grinding, the hardest was drilling the many holes without buying some super heavy duty drill.. when I pre-drilled on the press and then welded, the twisting forces would misalign the holes..all my talents are marginal.:eek: ..Drilling through thick steel was tiring with my light weight Dewalt...The frame works, but takes some doing to line up for mounting..taking it off is not so bad..If I was doing it now I would make some changes for sure...

/ 3 pt backhoe #10  
john_bud said:
are you just looking to spend minimum $ on a very minimum hoe?

Mostly, you get what you pay for with backhoes. There may be some imports that are better than others - I don't know.
I hear you john: more money often means better equiptment.. however in my case, I didn't have more money. I spent 3700 on hoe with pump, spent a couple hundred on metal and welding rod and graded hardware. Spending 6-7k for a woods, bradco, etc. would spend more than budget allows. I now have a fully fuctional hoe that does what I need it to for 2-3k less...( I may be off on cost of other hoes with frames slightly ) With 1k ( I did not spent on BH ) I bought a used 3 1/2 ton rated trailer.

The ability to make most repairs myself makes spending more worth less. If I had to rely on tractor mechanics I think paying a premium for premium would be worth more..if ya follow my reasoning... so if heehaw wants to save money on equiptment all things should be considered...I still think a small 3pt hoe on his 50hp wouldn't hurt it, but I wouldn't make any promises ...