Tiller Yanmar tillers?

/ Yanmar tillers? #1  

Pilot

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 770, Yanmar 180D, JD 420 (not running), had a Kubota B6200
A local gray market tractor dealer sells used Yanmar tillers. He seems like a good guy & his prices are reasonable.

Anyone have any experience with Yanmar tillers? Good? Bad?

Where can you get parts?

Anything I should know before I buy? What to look for?

Thanks

/ Yanmar tillers? #2  
Pilot said:
A local gray market tractor dealer sells used Yanmar tillers. He seems like a good guy & his prices are reasonable.

Anyone have any experience with Yanmar tillers? Good? Bad?

Where can you get parts?

Anything I should know before I buy? What to look for?

Thanks

I have a Yanmar RS-1200 tiller (48" wide) that I run on my Kubota B7510HST (21 hp engine, 17 hp pto). Paid $300 for the tiller in 2005. No problem tilling reasonably soft soil. Used it this Spring to till the lawn areas around my house that I'm landscaping and for tilling the vegetable garden.

That tiller doesn't have a shear pin so I had to buy a slip clutch at Tractor Supply( about $80). To get the SC to fit without rubbing against the tiller sheet metal, I had to buy a shaft extender about 10" long ($15).

The pto shaft that came with the tiller was shot so I had to buy a new one from TSC (about $100) and cut it to fit. To get all this drive train stuff to fit, I had to remove the short 26" lower lift arms on the B7510 and use the longer 35" arms from my MF-135 tractor.

Before I tilled the lawn and garden areas, I plowed the ground with my middle buster plow ($140 at TSC). This eliminates some of the wear and tear on the tiller.

Attachments

• DSCF0209 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF0209 (Medium).JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 2,629
  • DSCF0210 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF0210 (Medium).JPG
    137.3 KB · Views: 5,306
  • DSCF0211 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF0211 (Medium).JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 2,576
   / Yanmar tillers? #3  
I have a 60" Yanmar (red) tiller. Its been bullet proof. I do my gravel driveway with it. Sounds are horrible to the neighbors but have never hurt it. Wish I had a 72" version. Mine came with a slip clutch. It has a neat quick attach system to allow you to put on the link parts onto the tractor. Then you can back up to it and park over the roll receiver. Throw some links over-center and you are in business. You can run it offset and straight behind the drawbar. Not a power hog. Ran this with my 18hp YM 180D just fine. I'm gonna do the driveway tomorrow. Was planning for today but something else came up and that's just the way things go.

/ Yanmar tillers? #4  
I too have a Yanmar RS 1202 tiller, but the last digit on mine indicates it is designed for a 2-pt hitch. Stay away from these as you must modify or adapt to your 3-pt hitch, including dealing with a metric 16-splined input shaft. Otherwise, it is a good unit, fairly quiet, and can surprise you how well it can dig into some pretty hard soil. Just make sure the tines are in good condition and original (if possible) because I understand that the aftermarket ones that are available are not hardened like the originals and can break off much easier if you're not careful with it. I don't have any type of slip clutch or shear pin in my pto shaft, but would if there was more room for the clutch.

Bill

/ Yanmar tillers? #5  
I also have the 1202 series Yanmar tiller. It came with my tractor (YM 1510d). I really like the tiller. I have bounced the whole tractor around on some big pine tree roots but have not hurt it one bit. A great piece of machinery.

Mike

/ Yanmar tillers? #6  
The Yanmar tillers are great, they seem to be a little lighter duty than the style tiller sold new here in the U.S., however they are good quality. One warning though. They typically connected to the original Yanmar with an odd top link that had a joint that bent in the middle. More than likely if you connect this tiller to your JD 770 or even your YM180 without this special top link, the tiller will rub your back tires. I have relocated the lift pins on Yanmar tiller 6 inches forward and connected them to much bigger American tractors. I can post pictures later.

/ Yanmar tillers? #7  
Pilot, where you located? Ernie is one of the good guys dealing in Yanmar imports. He is located in the Molalla area. Always seems to have a number of tillers for sale. Also keeps a number of tillers for parts.

I've been very please with my tiller and it has done all I've asked of it without a complaint. Unit is so quite, sometimes I have to turn around for a look to make sure if it is running or not.

As has been mentioned the stk top link is designed so the tiller pivots a lot as it is raised and lowered. I have use it with a convientional top link without any problems. Have modified the tiller so the mount is to cat 1 specs.

First pic is what the tiller looked like whe first unloaded from shipping container. Next pic if you look close you can see the stk top link. Last pic shows what it look like now and being used with a quick mount hitch.

What kind of tractor are you wanting to mount the tiller to?

Attachments

• tiller.jpg
    tiller.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 3,657
  • tiller 1.jpg
    tiller 1.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 6,968
  • tiller 3.jpg
    tiller 3.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 3,860
   / Yanmar tillers?
Mickey,

Yes, Ernie is who I was planning to buy from. I have been to his place a couple times, bought a small part from him & he didn't hesitate to give me a refund when the part didn't work out (don't remember right now what the part was). Will put the tiller on a JD 770, 24 hp.

I am near Estacada. Are you far away? I'd like to see your setup.

/ Yanmar tillers? #9  
Pilot said:
Mickey,

Yes, Ernie is who I was planning to buy from. I have been to his place a couple times, bought a small part from him & he didn't hesitate to give me a refund when the part didn't work out (don't remember right now what the part was). Will put the tiller on a JD 770, 24 hp.

I am near Estacada. Are you far away? I'd like to see your setup.
I'm over in W Woodburn N of the drag strip.

A tiller like I have just may fit the bill. My Yanmar is 24 pto HP. Tiller turns the soil into powder out of the garden and have used it to break and turn under some old pasture without a problem.

You're welcome to come by just drop me a PM.

/ Yanmar tillers? #10  
If you already decided, these issues will not matter. I worked on a tiller for the neighbor and it's Hinomoto and were told it's similar to the yanmars. We couldn't get tines for it. The single bolt retangular slot type tines seem to be unique to the grey market tiller.

I have a Iseki 58" tiller and I finally wound building a new rotor shaft that took the flange style with 2 bolts KingKutter blades. I also had all the afore mentioned 3pt attachment and slip clutch issues. I threw a lot of money and time at this good deal to get it to finally work. I probably have $1000 in this gimme (somebody gave me) tiller to get replacable tines and a 3pt attachment with slip clutch PTO hooked up to 35 hp Jinma. Just see if all the tines are there and still tight in the rectangular slot and if replacement tines are available and at what cost. And, be prepared to make new 3pt attaching lugs with either slip clutch or shear bolt and possibly a new PTO shaft. bjr