PTO Speed

/ PTO Speed #1  

fullauto

Tractor
Jinma 220
Really enjoy the forum (newbie). I would greatly appreciate an explanation regarding the pto speed selections of 540 and 1000 rpm. As`a new tractor owner (Jinma 220), I'm clueless as to the ramifications if I set the pto at 1000 while using my 5 foot Sitrex finishing mower, which has a decal indicating use at 540 rpm. Being clueless to this new world of "tractoring", I turned to my father in law who said he uses 1000 because "the 540 setting won't do squat". He's also a full speed ahead, break it, destroy it, fix it or sell it. I'm pretty much way on the cautious side. Any help with this will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

/ PTO Speed #2  
Couldn't help but notice your handle.

You into 'fast' guns?

Soundguy

/ PTO Speed #3  
Welcome from another newbie. My first piece of advice if you follow the advice you're getting from your father-in-law is this.

1.) Go to your local Tractor supply store (or whatever you have there that is equivalent.)
2.) Go to the hardware section.
3.) Buy a pocket full of sheer pins and nuts that will fit your mower. :D

OK, story time. Brand new farmer, first tractor (Ford 6610). I tried asking my papaw to show me how to hook up and use a rotary mower, but he hurt his foot and I didn't want to bother him. The next night I was at a friend's farm and he was going to show me how to do that, but we got busy trying to rope a Texas Longhorn bull calf from the back of his new Gator. (That's a story unto itself) Bottom line we ran out of time and he didn't get to show me. So the next day my tractor arrives at my farm. The first thing I did was start trying to figure out how to hook it up to my grandpa's old Land Pride rotary mower. The lift arms and top link weren't too hard to figure out once I got the tractor lined up. I got the PTO shaft attached, so I was ready to fly. I revved her up to the 540 mark on the tack and engaged the PTO. "POW clang clang clang"

I was introduced to the wonderful world of sheer pins. I haven't broken one since then (2 months ago), and I know now to start her off at a lower RPM, but I still carry a couple of extra's just in case.

As for 540 Vs. 1000 - I can't wait to hear from someone with more than 3 months farming experience.

/ PTO Speed #4  
Soundguy said:
Couldn't help but notice your handle.

You into 'fast' guns?

Soundguy

Either of you been to Knob Creek? If not, it's worth the trip to KY. :D

/ PTO Speed
Never been. Observed videos of it. I'm recently retired from the government and basically saw them as tools. Have a few of this and that. Pretty much limited to armadillo eradication these days.:)

/ PTO Speed #6  
Ahhh... possum on a half shell. I'm from KY, so it's more oposssum, coon, skunks, ground hogs.... etc. Never been military, so Knob Creek is a bit of a novelty for me. I can't afford the really fun stuff, just civilain models.

Actually, I just sold a Semi-auto Thompson M1 to get the last grand I needed towards a Bush Hog 2426QT FEL for my tractor. Just trading one toy for another. I don't want to side track this thread though - I'd still like to know the answer to your question: 540 Vs. 1000 PTO???? Anyone got an answer for us?

/ PTO Speed #7  
On topic...

540 PTO is what almost all US implement are set to run at for input speed. There are implements in the higher (larger) classes Category 2 and 3 that use 1000 rpm. The PTO shaft is a different diameter so guys like your FIL have a harder time being stupi----eh ---- shall we say, "uncautious"? In asia and other areas they don't have the anti-stupid stuff built in (they have fewer lawyers), they trust the owners to be smart enough to figure out which implements are operated at what RPM.

You can move the lever to the 1000 rpm and operate the engine at 1/2 the speed that gives 540 rpm. For instance, if the engine give 540 at 2600 rpm, if you move the lever to 1000 and operate the engine at 1300 the PTO will give about the same speed as the 540 setting. Why do it? to save fuel if you are using a light duty low HP implement.

A rough cut mower at 650-700 rpm will give a better cut than normal 540 rpm. BUT - stuff can fly out of the cutter and go much farther and be more deadly. The gears in most implements can't take the higher speeds and so you don't want to go nuts. The potential for "bad things" followed closely by "loud expensive noises" is much higer at 1000 pto rpm, so keep that in mind!

I like to engage the clutch with the engine at 1200 rpm or so then flip the PTO lever and slowly let up the clutch peddle to feather in the implement. High rpm instant engagement is hard on the implement and tractor.

My advice is to enjoy the tractor, but buy a folding chair and a plastic steering wheel. Let the FIL sit in the chair, play with the wheel and make tractor noises, but don't let him on your machine! ;-)

jb

/ PTO Speed #8  
Welcome to the forum.
You got a pretty good tractor for the money, I'll bet. You will get a bunch of answers for a whole bunch of reasons but all I can say is use 540 PTO rpm for a 540 PTO rpm rated cutter. That is, spin the PTO at 540 rpm. You can use the 1000 PTO speed range if your tractor has enough horsepower and torque, but lower the tractor engine rpm so that the PTO is still spinning only 540rpm or thereabouts. That's the best advice I can give you.

/ PTO Speed
Thanks for your responses. I've mowed twice (90 minutes each) at 1000. Time to stop destroying my equipment. I've learned a lot already. Fast guns, slow tractors, targets that don't shoot back, cold beverage. I love this friggin' country!:D