Roller Pump Attachment Help

/ Roller Pump Attachment Help #1  

kennyd

Advertiser
Tractor
John Deere 3720 CAB/TLB, JD455
Need some help from the sprayer pro's:
I am building a 3PH 30 gallon sprayer from a pallet of parts I got at TSC for $100.00...

Can you please tell me if the way I have the roller pump secured is OK, or does it really need to be "supported" like the directions say. The chain is loose enough that it's not pulling the pump down, but taught enough to only let the pump rotate about 1"

Thanks for you time:D

Attachments

• DSC04086.JPG
    DSC04086.JPG
    318.9 KB · Views: 954
  • DSC04087.JPG
    DSC04087.JPG
    344.1 KB · Views: 475
   / Roller Pump Attachment Help #2  
I made a similar sprayer and after the first use, I never bothered to chain the pump down again. The hoses hold it just fine.

Since you appear to be a frustrated plumber like me <G> consider arranging your hose connectors so you can suck out of a stream or water tank to fill your tank. That has been very useful on several occasions.

Something else I found was to mount the tank with a good tilt toward the outlet. It never fails that the tractor is sitting the wrong way on the hill and I can't get the last 20 gallons without turning the tractor around. I finally slid a couple of 2x6's under one end.

Best,

John

/ Roller Pump Attachment Help #3  
wow, i've never seen one that secure!! but more secure is bettern than not secure enough. good job
heehaw

/ Roller Pump Attachment Help #4  
Yeah, I think the idea is to keep it from spinning the hoses around itself in case of a lot of resistance. Looks like yours isn't going anywhere.

/ Roller Pump Attachment Help
Thanks guys, that's what I thought...But the instructions want the chains coming from above to "support" the pump body.

Just didn't want to ruin a +$100.00 pump:D

/ Roller Pump Attachment Help #6  
Here's a similar attachment of a hydraulic pump on the pto.

Per the instructions that tiny hole in the drawbar should be on its lower edge, with the chain bolted to it. Instead I chained to the lower 3-pt pin so I can use the backhoe's hydraulics to get the drawbar aligned.

I have since added a hook that I attach after the drawbar is in place, to put the chain's stress in line with the pump's bearing. I expect the pump will last longer that way.

I'm amazed that any pump is designed to be supported by its input shaft!

/ Roller Pump Attachment Help #7  
Well what do you know, I was just about to ask the same question. In my case I bought a pto powered radial air compressor on eBay. Looked up the manual etc on the manufacturer's site. However comma, they refer to a "reaction bar" kit to stop the rotational tendency. They don't show a picture or diagram of what it looks like or how to make one. I'm thinking that the chain setup might work. Believe me the reaction torque is huge. A dog chain snapped almost immediately. If anybody uses a reaction bar on a pump, generator, compressor or pipe cleaner, I'd apppreciate seeing what it looks like.

Thanks.

/ Roller Pump Attachment Help #8  
California said:
... tiny hole in the drawbar should be on its lower edge, with the chain bolted to it. Instead I chained to the lower 3-pt pin so I can use the backhoe's hydraulics to get the drawbar aligned.

I have since added a hook that I attach after the drawbar is in place, to put the chain's stress in line with the pump's bearing. I expect the pump will last longer that way.
Bah. Make that 'upper link', not 'drawbar', in my description above. (post#6.) This computer can't spell properly. :)

zzvyb6, a bar bolted to the face of your pump that drops down past your drawbar (the real one!) would prevent rotation.

/ Roller Pump Attachment Help #9  
I did the same thing with the hydraulic pump for my backhoe. Just secured it with one chain to keep it from spinning the hoses around.