L2800 Cracked Rear End

/ L2800 Cracked Rear End #1  

garren

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L2800 with HST/R4 Tires
A few months ago I noticed that my new L2800 was dripping oil on the shop floor. Depending on which attachment was on it determined how much oil dripped. The dealer said a drop or two was nothing unusual but I should keep an eye on it. It got worse and with the backhoe attached it really drips. I finally found the source today. The rear end is cracked on both sides of the 3 point hitch plate. When I put the outriggers down on the backhoe the cracks close up which would explain why it was dripping worse with heavier attachments. I only have 34 hours on the tractor and havent even had a chance to use abuse it yet. Has anyone else had or heard of this problem?

Attachments

• crack.JPG
    crack.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 1,754
   / L2800 Cracked Rear End #2  
Yikes! That's a crack alright. What kind of hoe have you been using? Is it 3PH or does it have a subframe?

Your dealer's gonna have some fun with that thing. Hope he doesn't tell you it's normal.
Bob

/ L2800 Cracked Rear End
Hey Bob. The dealer put the BL4690B hoe on it. Its a 3PH but I believe the dealer mentioned that they had put a subframe kit? on the tractor.

/ L2800 Cracked Rear End #4  
So that is what a 3pt BH attachment will do??? Glad I got the subframe.

The subframe is totally different than the 3pt. It attaches differently and doesn't use the 3pt arms or top link in any fashion.

Since your dealer installed a 3pt BH... it looks like he gets to fix it also.

I do recommend a subframe type BH so this won't happen when the warranty runs out.

/ L2800 Cracked Rear End #5  
Hi Garren, Good thing it happened under warranty!!
I bought a 3pt hoe, but made a subframe for it, sure am glad i did, ain't no warranty on 19 year old tractor.

It will be tough to give it up for a repair, let us know what happens next. What the dealers says, does etc.
I want to thank you for posting this. I do want to know if you used the backhoe alot? and can you post a picture of the mounting points? Lets see what this dealer says is a subframe... either way. this shouldn't happen

I feel for ya. good luck....

/ L2800 Cracked Rear End #6  
Here are Pics from what I have done to my L3400 with the Factory Kubota Part that is used to re-enforce the rear end housing for 3 pt heavy attachments. Note that I have this brace on and also the sub-frame mount for my "Hoe". To order this part, have your model number and serial number. My brace had to modified to allow the breather tube to be un-obstructed. Also, I welded the two piece top link bracket to it for more strength.
(I did this because I use my box blade and scraper blade in reverse a lot in the winter)

The pitfall of some 3 pt attachments! Previous threads show a rear-end housing that was broke off at the upper half using a three pt set-up. Quote at that time for repairs was around $4000.00 for housing and to re-install gears etc.

My belief is that 3pt. backhoes should have nothing but 4 pt sub-frames, a few bucks more and you get more from your machine! And it will love you for it.

I am stepping off the box for the next speaker!!!!

JW 5875

/ L2800 Cracked Rear End
Now that I've done some reading on these backhoes, it's clear that mine is definitely a 3 pt hookup. I thought the dealer put a subframe on this because he said it may need one. I thought all the frame work underneath was what he meant but it looks like it is all attached to the FEL.
To answer Tims question about useage...I dont feel I used the hoe much before I noticed the oil on the floor. I had only planted a few 35 Gal. size trees, dug up some small unwanted shrubs and dead peach tree stump (about 4 inch caliper)
and dug a short trench for electric line.
I think Ive used it more since its been leaking than before. Its sounds like you guys are thinking the backhoe is the culprit. Kubotas website says that this is the proper backhoe model for this tractor...why would it crack this rear end? Do you think the rear end was flawed? Can it be converted to subframe type? What should I request the dealer do?

/ L2800 Cracked Rear End #8  
I have a L2800 and a BH75 with the 4pt subframe, it is nice, sturdy and easy to hook up. It has dug up many stumps so it has done alot of pulling the tractor around, I have atleast 50hrs of BH time...maybe more, I just put 3 hrs on it yesterday pulling stumps

I would request a BH with 4pt subframe. I am sure they will not just swap you out with one so you will probably have to sell the 3pt unit and buy a 4pt subframe unit.

/ L2800 Cracked Rear End #9  
Jw5875 said:
Here are Pics from what I have done to my L3400...
WinZip doesn't like your .zip file (for me anyway). Also you're asking us to trust you an awful lot :D

/ L2800 Cracked Rear End #10  
DiezNutz said:
WinZip doesn't like your .zip file (for me anyway). Also you're asking us to trust you an awful lot :D
The zip file opened just fine using StuffIt (Mac OS X). BTW it contains several pictures of rear ends ...
of tractors :)

Talon Dancer