1962 Massey Ferguson 50 input needed

/ 1962 Massey Ferguson 50 input needed #1  

Saggydog

Tractor
YM2020
I am now looking at a nice old MF50 (1962 model year I believe). Any input on this model would be appreciated. Very clean tractor.

Thanks

/ 1962 Massey Ferguson 50 input needed #2  
Saggydog said:
I am now looking at a nice old MF50 (1962 model year I believe). Any input on this model would be appreciated. Very clean tractor.

Thanks

Shortly after the Ferguson and Massey Harris merger was completed in 1954, the models started to blend together. Harry Ferguson wanted to stay with his successful small utility design. The management at the former Massey Harris wanted a slightly bigger version of what was the Ferguson TO-35. The dealerships still retained their seperate identities for a time. (Ferguson/Massey Harris)

In 1955, Massey Harris dealers unvieled the Massey Harris 50. It used the same engine, transmission, rear end, hydraulics, and rear fenders as the TO-35. There were a few major changes though. The front axle, all the steering components, radiator, fuel tank and sheet metal were heavier, with more under-axle clearance. The whellbase was almost 9" longer than the 35, giving it more stability with a rear mounted load. Also, a "row crop" or high arch model was released. That had 38" PAVT rear wheels, the choice of a high clearance wide front, or a narrow front end with choice of single or dual wheels. The "standard" or low profile models were available with 24" off-set dish, or 28" PAVT (Power Adjustable Variable Track, spin-out) wheels. A Deluxe seat was standard, as was full lighting and instrumentation. A heavy cast bolster for the new front axle gave a solid mounting point for front end loaders or mid-mount cultivators. It was available with a 134 cu. in. Continental 4-cylinder gas or as an LP powered engine.

In 1956, Ferguson dealers got the Ferguson F-40. Ever-so-slightly different sheet metal and a different grill, but otherwise the same tractor. They were both immediately successful.

In late 1957, Massey Harris Ferguson became Massey FErguson. At that point, the F-40 and MH50 became the Massey Ferguson 50. It used basically the same sheet metal as the F-40 with a newly redesigned grill, but was essentially the same tractor. For a very short time, some MF35's were built with 4-cylinder "Standard" diesels. The 40/50 never got that engine.

In 1958, the MF50 got the 152 cu. in. Perkins 3-cylinder diesel. A start was born.

The MF50 has a 3 speed tranny w/hi-lo for 6 forward speeds. It was at this point in Massey Ferguson history where the 2-speed Multipower shifter first appeared, giving 12 forward and 4 reverse speeds. The gas version was 32 pto HP with diesels listed @ 38. All MH50/F-40/MF50's were 2-stage clutch, live power OR some Multipower equipped 40/50's had independent PTO.

There were MORE MF35's sold. After the MF50 was introduced, the MF65 broke onto the market. The bigger hp of the 65 stole a little thunder from the MF50, but sales were strong on all 3 models.

They have all the qualities of the very famous and popular TO-35/MF35, along with more built-in weight, better cooling system, better steering, and with the longer wheel base and more weight, better ability to use its lift capacity.

They are rugged, dependable, simple, efficient, and economic to operate. Parts are still easy to get at AGCO/Massey Ferguson dealers. A large portion of the parts interchange with TO-35/MF35's for ease of finding USED parts.

In late 1964, the "DX" series, or 100 series Masseys were released (as 1965 models). At that point, the MF50 got another transmission option (8-speed) , along with an all-over upgrade to become the MF150, my pick as the best utility tractor of all time. The MH50/F-40/MF50/MF150 was never marketed outside the North American continent. They were built at the Massey Ferguson plant in Detroit Michigan.

I've got an F-40, a MF50, and a MF150. The first 2 are in a state of total disrepair at this point. The F-40 begins it's road back this winter. My dad bought it new in late 1956. The MF50 was bought new in 1957 by my uncle. I bought the MF150 new in 1971.

Last edited:
   / 1962 Massey Ferguson 50 input needed
Thank you for the great info.

/ 1962 Massey Ferguson 50 input needed #4  
Does anyone know where I can get parts for a Massey Ferguson 50 gas motored tractor? I need a front grill and other things.
stonepony

/ 1962 Massey Ferguson 50 input needed #5  
i'm a ford guy and can't speak as to specific parts support.. but can say that the mf 35/50/65 and 1xx series are among some of the finest machines out there. and again.. I'm a ford guy.

looks like ytmag has r/l/c grill parts.. etc.

i get plenty of parts from them..

Discount Tractor Parts and Manuals for Older and Antique Tractors Metal / Body Parts&r=mcats