Bombardier Traxter Hitch mount ?

/ Bombardier Traxter Hitch mount ? #1  

GuglioLS

Veteran Member
Tractor
Jinma 354, 1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee, Komatsu Bulldozer
I have a 2002 Bombardier Traxter. The rear axle mounted trailer hitch is cheap sheet metal and is falling apart (metal torn). I have welded it back together one too may times. My trailer is 300#'s and I use it to collect firewood, about 1000#'s total load.

SO my question - does anyone know of an aftermarket, beefy / heavy duty replacement for the rear axle mounted trailer hitch mount? If so please let me know who / where to purchase.

Thanks,

Larry

/ Bombardier Traxter Hitch mount ? #2  
Surly you and Rob can design a new/better/stronger one:D

Just make sure you post the pics in real time so as not to offend one certain member:D

Sorry, but I can't help specifically...

/ Bombardier Traxter Hitch mount ? #3  
I have not seen one for the traxters but if I don't recall it shouldn't be too hard to adapt a 2" receiver tube to the back of the Traxter.

I have not had any issues with my hitch yet. My XT spends almost all of its time hooked to a 17 cubic foot lawn trailer with a 55 gallon water barrel for filling the water buckets inside the far pens. So even fully loaded I don't come close to putting as much weight as you do on my hitch. What are our Traxters even rated for? If you are having that much trouble you might want to look at upgrading to a UTV or maybe build up a dolly to take the weight off the Traxters hitch. Most ATV hitches are just slightly better then lawn mower hitches.:rolleyes:

/ Bombardier Traxter Hitch mount ? #4  
Does your hitch look like this? If so, with your skills you should not have much trouble fabbing another hitch up.

After I loaded these pictures I answered my question about the capacity of these machines. 30 pounds for the max tounge weight, 1100 pound max towing capacity. I think you are overloading the hitch by a substantial margin. Is the axle on your trailer set back a ways? If so you might want to look into moving it forward some to take more of the weight off the hitch.

Attachments

• DSC04979.JPG
    DSC04979.JPG
    349.5 KB · Views: 2,708
  • DSC04978.JPG
    DSC04978.JPG
    334.5 KB · Views: 1,336
  • DSC04980.JPG
    DSC04980.JPG
    313.1 KB · Views: 1,144
  • DSC04981.JPG
    DSC04981.JPG
    268.6 KB · Views: 950
   / Bombardier Traxter Hitch mount ?
kennyd said:
Surly you and Rob can design a new/better/stronger one:D

Just make sure you post the pics in real time so as not to offend one certain member:D

Sorry, but I can't help specifically...

Kenny,

I was hoping for a bolt on one to save me the trouble of making one. I need to use as much of my time as possible to gather firewood for this season, which at 7000 ft elevation is fast approaching :eek:

Yea - can you believe that moron? steels my pictures from MY photo bucket account and has the gall to post them. Not sure what he was trying to prove other that he is an idiot. In all my years here on TBN, I've seen some pretty dumb stuff, IMHO, what he did deserves the all time stupid award.

Thanks -

Robert_In_NY -
YES, Yes that's it - yours is exactly like mine, and what I am talking about. What I was looking for is an aftermarket one that is much stronger. Mine is cracked & welded over several times. I guess I will have to make one.

The capacity of our Traxters is 30#'s tongue weight & 1100 pounds towing capacity. I think my problem is I exceed the the tongue weight by 100-200 or more pounds:rolleyes: . I haul trailer loads of wood down hill 20-30* slope :eek:

The trailer I use has the axle in the center so the loads on flat ground are balanced. I think the reason I have trashed mine is all that hauling down a bumpy hill. It's lasted 5 years, so I guess that's not so bad.

Oops I just read you posted the capacities - thank you!

Larry

This in the home made trailer I use with the ATV for firewood hauling. Maybe I should have made it with two axles? More like a wagon to reduce tongue load. Oh well too late now. It's 4' wide x 6' long with 16" sides, ~ 32 cubic feet. I over fill it, once I weighed all the logs (a few at a time on a bathroom scale) :rolleyes: The wood weighed 1100 pounds. So I guess I am WAY over the limits. I guess I should keep the loads a little smaller and make more trips. I suppose I'm lucky to have not crashed yet.

Earlier I mentioned that I haul it up & down a pretty steep slope - it's that hill in the background. However, now there is a road diagonal to the hill that's not so steep. I think once I replace or make a new rear axle trailer hitch mount, and with the new road it wont be subject to as much force - what do you think? Or am I still living too close to the edge of disaster?

One more thought -
Has anyone ever filled the tires on their ATV to add ballast like on a Tractor? Or is that a dumb idea?

Larry

/ Bombardier Traxter Hitch mount ? #7  
I have the Traxter also but haven't had any problems with the hitch even though I pull a lot with it. As you and others have stated, it must be the tongue weight that is creating the problem. I doubt you will find a premade hitch unless it is from Bombardier where there weren稚 a lot of the Traxters made.

Here is a picture of my ag. system I designed, built and patented. I have hundreds of hours on this system with various implements with no hitch problems.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/photos/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=27639

Guess what?

Nearly 3 years after posting this I finally fabricated a REAL trailer receiver hitch, better late than never right?

OK here it is....

IMHO The OEM trailer hitch on a Bobardier Traxter ATV is a piece of crap. I'm sure the engineers did the best they could. But they fell short of my expectations of how I use my ATV to tow a firewood hauling trailer. I've welded it for repairs one too may times and finally decided to make a "real" hitch. See anything wrong with this design? Other than stamped sheet metal, 30# tongue weight rating (what a joke) But get this it has an 1100# tow rating. How in the world it could have a 30# tongue weight rating and 1100 # towing rating is beyond me. Another feature I don't particularity like is it's only bolted on by two bolts on each side and ZERO support for tongue weight. I suppose it was meant for a 4 wheeled wagon and not a two wheeled trailer?

Larry

Took some measurements, drew up some fancy curved and angled parts in AutoCAD, then burned the parts out of 3/16" plate on a CNC plasma cutter. Made a couple of bends in the press and viola.....

Larry

This is more like it and what I should have done in the first place. The capacity of the tongue weight has got to be equal to or greater than the towing capacity. This thing is bullet proof now.

I'm happy the way it came out, it fits like a glove, all 10 mounting holes (5 on each side) line up perfectly with the OEM axle / differential bolts. If it didn't take me so long to make this darn thing I'd sell them for a living :laughing:

Larry