Clamp On Snow Blade ?

/ Clamp On Snow Blade ? #1  

JDforMe

Tractor
JD 2305
Has anyone used a clamp on snow blade for plowing in the winter? I was really hoping that Deere made a blade for the 200CX loader and my 2305 that would swap out with the bucket (after all, what are those quick release pins for? just other buckets??) but it seems like only the 300/400 loaders accept a snow plow.

Anyhow.... I have about a 150' driveway fairly level and straight so I don't think a snowblower is warranted. I'm sort of torn between springing for a front snow plow from Deere and a plow that would clamp onto the bucket of the FEL (manual angle adjustment) Paynes Forks makes one......

http://www.paynesforks.com/clamponsnowplow.asp

I'm leaning towards the clamp-on as it would be a snap to remove for loader work and move any piles of snow that accumulate. (I'm in CT, so I don't see a tremendous amount of snow on an annual basis - but I think it would be easier than removing a dedicated snow plow and hooking up the loader and then back again.)

Anyone care to throw in their $0.02 ?? Thanks!!

Oh yeah, I guess option 3 is just try to manage plowing with the loader only this first winter with it and see how it goes....

/ Clamp On Snow Blade ? #2  
For just 150' I would use the loader, or get a rear blade. By the time you add that clamp on blade to the front of your bucket, you will have a tough time maneuvering in a small area.

/ Clamp On Snow Blade ? #3  
You can buy the brkts to weld to whatever you want to make your own that will mount to you loader just have to get a old plow blade and some scrap steel and weld it together.
Or maybe get the blade for the 300 loader and cut it down I don't know what that one looks like I will have to take a look

/ Clamp On Snow Blade ? #4  
On two previous tractors I welded tabs in the bucket which fit one old Meyers and then an old fisher plow. The whole deal, including finding an old rusted plow shouldn't cost much over 100.00. Nothing against the Payne system, but I thought I read there 1100.00 and up for their system,., Should get an awfull lot of snow for that money.. Now I have a power angle Diamon plow with third valve system right from the dealer. We're in the lower hills by Union/Woodstock CT and probably get a lot more snow than where you are.. Our drive way is 1600 ft, so the power angle is nice,. Prior, I used the old rusted plows listed above,.,

/ Clamp On Snow Blade ? #5  
When I traded my '02 Yukon I had a Snow-Bear personal plow(very light,manual swing) which I removed from said Yukon. I mounted the push bracket in the loader of my LK3054 by drilling two 3/4" holes in the cutting edge. Makes for a very simple,if not terribly quick, mounting procedure and you can really mound the white stuff up with this. I have a drainage ditch at the end of two runs and with the plow being roughly 2 feet ahead of the loader, they present no problem, as I can plow right over them and stockpile the snow on the other side without dropping the front tires into the ditch.The only drawback to this arrangement is the lack of down pressure on the blade due to the way the push arms are constructed and with the "light " construction of the unit I'm sure it's better that way;)

/ Clamp On Snow Blade ? #6  
Hi,

Curtis makes complete kits for the Deere and other loaders. They offer power or manual angle. Another option is Horst Welding. The dealer said the Curtis was a better setup than the 72" Deere loader blade for a little less money and a lot less weight. The Horst was really nice, but a bunch more money than the Curtis setup.

I'm waiting for the Curtis now, bought it from the dealer along with a 2520.

Hopefully sometime this week....

Tom

/ Clamp On Snow Blade ? #7  
I got the curtis set up but it is $. If you are handy with welding the above ideas will save real money. If you get the curtis get it 1' wider than the width of your real wheels. I started out with a 6', it was useless, endedn up getting an 8' moldboard- works great

/ Clamp On Snow Blade ? #8  
The best clamp on blade out there is made by Earth and Turf in New Holland Pa. They ship anywhere in the country. Various sizes avalible and the clamp on system works. I would reccomend this blade highly . Ph 888-693-2638

/ Clamp On Snow Blade ? #9  
The only downside I have seen on putting an angle blade on the front of sub-compacts loader is the tractor weight. Deere shows the frontier only for the 300-400 loader but they will actually fit the 200 loader (pin spacing and height is the same). What can happen though depending on how much material you are trying to move is the front end can get pushed to the side if you are trying to tackle too much material at a full angle and that can be frustrating. Doesn't sound like the above folks are having that problem though.

/ Clamp On Snow Blade ? #10  
The only downside I have seen on putting an angle blade on the front of sub-compacts loader is the tractor weight. Deere shows the frontier only for the 300-400 loader but they will actually fit the 200 loader (pin spacing and height is the same). What can happen though depending on how much material you are trying to move is the front end can get pushed to the side if you are trying to tackle too much material at a full angle and that can be frustrating. Doesn't sound like the above folks are having that problem though.

Don't these machines have steering brakes? Even a larger tractor can be pushed to the side...and one can use the steering brakes to counteract that.