Thoughts on a John Deere 3720?

/ Thoughts on a John Deere 3720? #1  

candersen10

Gold Member
Tractor
Cat 262c, NH TN75, JD 6430 premium, JD 5325, Kubota BX2200, Ford 1710HC, JD 333E, JD3720, Farmall 504, Farmall 404.
I live on a 150 acre farm and have a NH TN75, a JD5325, JDCT332, Kubota L4630, and a Kubota BX2200. My grandfather, who lives on part of the farm is planning on getting a tractor which he will use for mowing about 10-15 acres. He can't get a John Deere 4720 because the machine is too large for mowing close to his house. I drove out to the local Deere dealer this morning and looked at a 3720 and it seemed like a very nice machine. My grandfather definitely wants a cab and will probably get a 72 inch mid mount mower, a loader bucket (300x) and perhaps a blade for the loader bucket as well.

What do you guys think about this machine? What competitors would you recommend?

/ Thoughts on a John Deere 3720? #2  
I would test drive and compare the follwing: JD3720, JD4120, Kubota L4240 and New Holland TC 40A/DA (The attached link provides specifications) After test driving and comparison shopping I would purchase the one that I felt the most comfortable with controls, ergonomics and sales/dealer. I would not lock in on one color until all research was done. Just my thoughts.

http://www.kubota.com/f/products/L40comps.pdf

/ Thoughts on a John Deere 3720?
I've already decided against getting any more Kubota equipment. I just have not had good experience with their machines. I had a New Holland TC33D which was a decent machine but I'm not sure I'd get another New Holland either.

/ Thoughts on a John Deere 3720? #4  
candersen10 said:
I've already decided against getting any more Kubota equipment....I'm not sure I'd get another New Holland either.
candersen10 said:
What competitors would you recommend?
You've already ruled out the other big 3 competitors.

Kioti, Mahindra?

/ Thoughts on a John Deere 3720?
MikePA said:
You've already ruled out the other big 3 competitors.

Kioti, Mahindra?

Good point. My question is whether people like the 3720 or not? Is it a good machine? What problems do people have with it?

/ Thoughts on a John Deere 3720? #6  
I think you should post this in the John Deere section, then. (it might get move there anyway :))

/ Thoughts on a John Deere 3720? #7  
candersen10 said:
Good point. My question is whether people like the 3720 or not? Is it a good machine? What problems do people have with it?
I misinterpreted

candersen10 said:
What competitors would you recommend?

Since this thread is just about the 3720, and not about multiple brands, I'll move it to the JD Buying forum.

/ Thoughts on a John Deere 3720? #8  
I have the 3520 hydro and I know you asked about the 37. All I can tell you is this thing is a cadillac as far as tractors. I love mine and the 37 will be a little stronger than what I have. I had a small amount of fluid leaking from my front end at one time but it has not been a problem since. I have put almost 100 hours on it doing bushhogging, disking, planting and even pulling a 2 bottom breaking plow for about 8 hours. I would buy it again today if I had the choice to do it again except this time I would buy the cab. These are very nice machines and if you are going to do a lot of mowing like you stated definitely get the hydro, it is great for quick back up, easing around and quick speed changes for turns and cutting around things. I have done quite a bit of loader work also and would hate to do it without the hydro. I would go with the 300cx loader from your choice and get the heavier bucket while I was at it.

/ Thoughts on a John Deere 3720? #9  
The 3720 has great power in a mid size CUT chassis. I have a 3720 cab and used it for many different projects. Good tractor, no complaints. Stance with cab is a little narrow and be careful if have hills. Ballast the rear tires if have hills. Go hydro if plan on mowing or loader work. Definitely the 300cx loader. I would opt for the larger R4 tires if I had the chance.

/ Thoughts on a John Deere 3720? #10  
When we purchased our 3720 it's main purpose was to cut grass. As we have 18 acres of grass to cut and we cut it once a week our 3720 its kept pretty busy. We also purcahsed it with the 300cx loader, heavy duty material bucket,ballasted tires,Ag tires and quick attach forks. We also use it as FEL moving ballast around and it has no problem picking up a 33' length of rail with the forks. With different operators with varying operating skills we opted to get the ehyrdo transmission. Last time I checked we had over 200hrs and it had gone through it's first oil change other than an oil change and daily fluid checks and a once a week bath it's has required no other manitenance.
The one option we should have purchased is a cab. The weather changes every 5 minutes.