Non OEM ways to secure a BX on a trailer

/ Non OEM ways to secure a BX on a trailer #1  

bx24

Platinum Member
I often times have to move my tractor on a trailer and early on I was irritated on how I would have to wrap chains / web straps around painted surfaces that were not necessarily meant to have this done to them.

My solution was to add places on both the BH and on the front bumper to secure it. Additional hooks will also be placed on the "hitch bar", but when I have the BH on, I don't like to have to crawl under it to get to that spot ..... ergo the hooks on the BH. I just rebuilt this trailer and I still have to put some eyes on the rear end so I don't have to hook to a stake pocket. One other minor modification on the straps .... I cut off about 20' on each one. I have a bunch of long ones I use to secure lumber etc, but these two are dedicated to the tractor and it is much easier to only deal with 6-8' instead of 27' of strap.

Attachments

• IMG_8020.JPG
    IMG_8020.JPG
    144.6 KB · Views: 1,403
  • IMG_8030.JPG
    IMG_8030.JPG
    164.6 KB · Views: 1,308
  • IMG_8032.JPG
    IMG_8032.JPG
    154.6 KB · Views: 1,251
   / Non OEM ways to secure a BX on a trailer #2  
Good ideas. I added hooks to the back of my BX2200 similar to what you did. Makes life a lot easier.

I'm guessing you hook up your binder chain, pop the tractor into neutral, then tighten the binder straps? I've thought of doing that but have been using two chain binders on the rear and one on a chain through the front "bumper".

/ Non OEM ways to secure a BX on a trailer
Exactly right on the Neutral maneuver. While I am not really all that worried about being pulled over for not using 4 points of tie downs, I like the idea of redundancy. I also figured that I should put the chain (assuming it is stronger) in the back because I am more worried about the tractor "rear ending" the tow vehicle if the rear binders were to fail than I am about accelerating so fast that the front binders would fail.

I put the 2" receiver on the front as well ..... Don't! It bumps the kickstand for the FEL when you have the arms as low as they can go. Next time I have the torch out, the receiver goes. I was going to use it as a quick mount for a custom snow plow. I have since decided to transform my FEL bucket into a quick connect style setup. it took me while to convince myself that it was going to be OK to cut into a perfectly good bucket, but after I thought of a bunch of attachments I could quickly put on, I was sold on the idea ..... but thats for another post

/ Non OEM ways to secure a BX on a trailer #4  
I have since decided to transform my FEL bucket into a quick connect style setup. it took me while to convince myself that it was going to be OK to cut into a perfectly good bucket, but after I thought of a bunch of attachments I could quickly put on, I was sold on the idea ..... but thats for another post

Great idea. Often think of that myself. For me that single bucket cylinder is the main concern. I don't think adding a 50-75 lb quick attach frame will detract from the FEL's usefulness.
Keep us posted on your progress.

/ Non OEM ways to secure a BX on a trailer #5  
BX24
I see you transport your tractor with the BH in the upright position, the same way the dealer loaded my BX24 on the trailer for delivery. The Kubota manual indicates lowering the bucket to the trailer deck.
What have you seen other BX24 owners do?
Does it make a big difference?
TN

/ Non OEM ways to secure a BX on a trailer #6  
Great ideas! I have considered welding hooks/rings onto my tractor like you did. So far I have just purchased axel straps. Quick and efficient. I added on D ring to the back of tractor and just run my chain through it. I like the idea of two hooks on the back better though. Four points makes me feel safer as well.

TN-

Most of my trips are "short" so I don't worry too much about putting the backhoe down. Other than the BH bucket bouncing around a bit on the bed (if you don't strap it down), lowering the boom to the deck would probably relieve the most stress on the machine. Because my trips are so short, I don't even "pin" the boom - maybe the hydraulics act like a damper!

Seeing as how I just re-built the trailer and it has new boards (that I don't want to tear up), my BH will remain elevated .... but .... if you have the ability to lower the bucket (especially if you store the machine on the trailer), that would seem the way to go.

Good luck

After looking again at the last picture, did these machines only come with one "swing bumper" (the black rubber pad on the left side)?

I am not near the machine so I cannot check, but I just noticed that .... does the ram only retract so far eliminating the need for the one on the right side?

/ Non OEM ways to secure a BX on a trailer #9  
What kind of trailer do you have there?

/ Non OEM ways to secure a BX on a trailer #10  
After looking again at the last picture, did these machines only come with one "swing bumper" (the black rubber pad on the left side)?

I am not near the machine so I cannot check, but I just noticed that .... does the ram only retract so far eliminating the need for the one on the right side?

Ya know, I'm missing one also, I always figured I just lost one somewhere. Now you've got me curious.

On the tie downs, I went to a wrecker supply house, and purchased four chains with wrecker style (J) hooks on them that fit in several different holes on the frame. Those with binders are great.