intelpenel lights blown fuses

/ intelpenel lights blown fuses #1  

unadilla

My intel panel lights blow fuses. I have had it to the local dealer and they can't find the fault. I changed the 7.5 amp to a 15 amp. It takes longer to blow but it still blows.

/ intelpenel lights blown fuses #2  
unadilla said:
My intel panel lights blow fuses. I have had it to the local dealer and they can't find the fault. I changed the 7.5 amp to a 15 amp. It takes longer to blow but it still blows.

I don't have a clue to your problem but I will strongly suggest that you stick with the 7.5 amp fuse. A fuse is nothing but a safety link and when that link gets broken it's telling you something is wrong. Most likely a short somewhere but shorts (sometimes) are a booger to find.

If this tractor is still under warranty and you fry something due to this 15 amp fuse, most likely the bill will be yours.

/ intelpenel lights blown fuses #3  
unadilla said:

Definately change back to the 7.5 amp. Otherwise you may melt your wiring. How long does it take to blow? Almost instantly, a few mijnutes or significient time. A short will blow instantly. If yo have a short caused by panel movement then the fuse will blow when the panel moves. Take the fuse out and measure the load side of the fuse socket to ground with an ohmmeter and let us know what it is. It nees to be 1.7 ohms or higher. Troubleshooting these issues can be difficult since you can't always get to what you need to measure. do you have a wiring diagram?

Andy

/ intelpenel lights blown fuses
Thanks. It takes about 30 min to blow. The 15 amp fuse was the dealer's idea. I will do the ohm check tomorrow.

Bill

/ intelpenel lights blown fuses #5  
The dealer could be looking for a way to make this problem go away. If you burn the wiring up by having too big a fuse, he doesn't have to explain why he didn't fix it, and the fact that he "knew" you put a 15 amp fuse in it just gives them something to look for when they try to figure out why it burnt to the ground.
I would do without what ever the fuse was running, rather than have a fuse twice the wires rated value in there.
David from jax

/ intelpenel lights blown fuses #6  
unadilla said:
Thanks. It takes about 30 min to blow. The 15 amp fuse was the dealer's idea. I will do the ohm check tomorrow.

Bill

Electricity does not tend to be most dealer's strong suit. Keep asking questions here if you need more help. Between myself and several other electrical engineers on this site I think we should be able to help you. I will tell you one thing, based on reading posts on this site and may years of experience electricity is viewed as black majic by many.

The fact that the fuse does not blow until 30 minutes indicates an overload condition rather than a short. A short would be immediate. If you can pull the dash I would do that. 7.5amp at 13 v (nominal system voltage) = 97.5 watts. Imagine how much heat is produced by a 100 watt light bulb and that is how much power that is being dumped somewhere in your system That is enough heat that you ought to be able to locate it by touch (be careful not to get burned). At first glance the things that I think of that could use that type of power would be glow plugs and lights. If you have glow plugs I would pull the input line to the and see if the problem persists. You could also check if the glow plugs are on this circuit by measuring the voltage on them and then pulling this fuse to see if it goes away. You'll have to check one circuit after another. On a dash panel I have a hard time imagining that almost 100 watts would not cause a visible burn.

Good luck

Andy

Today I discovered that the fuse that blows is marked on the cover as the Alternator. Isn't that odd?

Bill

/ intelpenel lights blown fuses #8  
What brand tractor is this, anyway?

/ intelpenel lights blown fuses #9  
unadilla said:
Today I discovered that the fuse that blows is marked on the cover as the Alternator. Isn't that odd?

Bill

An alternator requires a field current to operate. This fuse could be supplying the field current. Have you noticed that the battery is going dead lately? If this is a small tractor with a small alternator this could be the input point to the fuse panel I suppose. How many fuses are there in the panel/ What is the max size. At this point I'm betting on field current for alternator. You could remove the alternator and have it tested. One way to do a crude test for ths on tractor is to measure the battery voltage as you start it. Prior to starting it should be about 12.0. When you start it should rise to about 13.7 if this system is charging correctly. If you pull the fuse and it is the field current the voltage will drop back to about 12.

Andy

Andy

Andy, I think you got it. I unplugged the alternator, replaced the fuse and the panel lights came on. Could it be a diode in the alternator?

Bill